S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

<HELP> S500 is constantly stalling at complete stops.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
<HELP> S500 is constantly stalling at complete stops.

Several months ago my v-belt Broke. I had it towed to a gas station, bought a new v belt and had them put it on. After some time I noticed the car would sometimes vibrate at idle for a short time and go away. Just last night I was driving a little aggressive in sports mode with the suspension clicked firm..I floored the car and something weird happened where my traction control light came on and my rpms were shut down from about 6000. Then after driving a little coming to a stop, it stalled. Turned the car on and the check engine light came on. It stalled 4 times each way to and from work today and while I was going out. I'm really in urgent need of help. I can vouch that I never took the car for the Service B checkup although I did the oil and brakes myself. (Not sure if the spark plug has anything to do with this but I've never changed that either). Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
Originally Posted by ArMaNi S500
Several months ago my v-belt Broke. I had it towed to a gas station, bought a new v belt and had them put it on. After some time I noticed the car would sometimes vibrate at idle for a short time and go away. Just last night I was driving a little aggressive in sports mode with the suspension clicked firm..I floored the car and something weird happened where my traction control light came on and my rpms were shut down from about 6000. Then after driving a little coming to a stop, it stalled. Turned the car on and the check engine light came on. It stalled 4 times each way to and from work today and while I was going out. I'm really in urgent need of help. I can vouch that I never took the car for the Service B checkup although I did the oil and brakes myself. (Not sure if the spark plug has anything to do with this but I've never changed that either). Thanks in advance

exactly the same thing happen to my G. take it to the dealership, i should be taken care of under warranty...
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
..problem is that my warranty is expired. any idea what it could be or what needs to be done?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
sry, i hadn't been in the forum for a while.

for me they gave me a new battery on both the car and keyfob and the made sure the pc's were tranfering power like they should.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:53 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
I received two letters from Mercedes ragarding a recall and another potential problem which I seem to have. The recall is for a motor fuse holder? Something to do with the climate control. The other is for the something else which is connected to the alternator. They both require 2 hours each and will be done free of charge. I took it to my friend's Kia dealership and their computer said it's the mass air flow sensor which is the problem. Does anyone know how much these go for and where I can obtain one?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:16 PM

2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
Originally Posted by ArMaNi S500
I received two letters from Mercedes ragarding a recall and another potential problem which I seem to have. The recall is for a motor fuse holder? Something to do with the climate control. The other is for the something else which is connected to the alternator. They both require 2 hours each and will be done free of charge. I took it to my friend's Kia dealership and their computer said it's the mass air flow sensor which is the problem. Does anyone know how much these go for and where I can obtain one?

I also received those 2 recall letters from MB
Old 04-14-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
probably cps or mass airflow sensor

My guess is that is the cps or mass air flow sensor.

I am leaning towards cps because of the fan belt breaking it could have possibly hit the cps sensor, it is located right above the belt. (could have broken and slapped the sensor)

I think the mass air sensor is located on top of the intake so it would have been hard for the fan belt take it out... but the symptom of rough idle and stalling are also frequently related to a Mass air sensor.

the cps is only 69 bucks or so, I had a friend with s500 with 51 k just out of warranty lose one in line at the dairy queen. It would run for 15 minutes after it was cooled and when it warmed up it would just die. he replaced the sensor and wala! it was fixed.

Good Luck!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Almost a Member!

500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
I would suspect a defective CPS or MAF sensor, too.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Thanks for the help. I'll be taking it to mercedes for those two recall problems to get fixed and ask to see if the CPS or MAF sensor is what's causing the problems. Another thing, when I drive my car from, oh let's say, 0 to ***mph I get a 'rotten egg' smell from the exhaust. I'm guessing it's my CAT clogging up? Last two times I took it to Mercedes they said they couldn't find any problems relating to this smell but I think they just don't want to do anything since my warranty is expired. But regardless, this deals with omissions and Mercedes is still obligated to replace the CAT if necessary. Does anyone else agree?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
rotten egg

The smell you notice is unburnt fuel that the cat is trying to burn.. Once your problem is fixed it should clear up. I am really leaning way towards the maf sensor, it deals directly with the air/fuel mixture. When it goes out it will either lean way out or dump too much fuel. Sounds like it is dumping too much fuel and the excess is sent out of the tail pipe.

If you get the first problem fixed and the smell is still their Mercedes will put a new cat on for you. Since the rattling problem exist with those they moved the emmisions warranty to unlimited miles or 7 years.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2005, 02:36 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
So far all they had to change was the motor fuse holder and not the harmonic balance pulley. So I took it to mercedes and got the car back only to find out that apparently another car had bumped the back right side of my car. Of course Mercedes didn't mention a word about it and was hoping I wouldn't notice but I went back to tell an advisor and he simply stated, "Ok just tell your service advisor and bring your car in and we'll take care of it. I was very upset with this whole matter and how they had intentions of aving it go unforseen. I scheduled to receive anothher loaner car for this Friday but I wass looking to see if there's any extra compensation Mercedes could offer me for causing me this inconvenience. My rear bumper could definitely use a repainting. Would they do such a thing in order to keep me satisfied and not cause a stir to their hehadquarters? Another thing is that the service advisor accidentally left a folder containing the invoices of other customers and the jobs which had to be done. Maybe a little blackmale wouldn't hurt? :v On another note, I apparently need a new Mass Air Flow Sensor. Would it be advisable to purchase a new one or could I go to a junkyard to purcase one used? Whichever the case, does anyone know where I could go online to purchase one? TIA
Old 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM

sorry to be OT but which recall items did you have done?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Mercedes sent me two letters regarding:
1) The motor fuse holder
2) The harmonic balance pulley

Anyone who received these letters will be required to have atleast the motor fuse holder replaced.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
In addition to the scratches, above it on the rear fender you can see the car got dented and mercedes tried covering it up. Can I raise hell with them and demand compensation? My rear bumper could use a new painting as well as my driver's door. Has anyone ever pursued anything like this in the past?