E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wiper blades skipping.. and doors are too stiff... dealer can't fix??? ??? ???

Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBenz
Wiper blades skipping.. and doors are too stiff... dealer can't fix??? ??? ???

I had problem with my 04 E.

FIRST:
Ever since I bought the car, all 4 doors are "too stiff". It requires a little more effort to shut the door. Dealer puts lubricant, but doesn't help. He blames that i need more break-in, the more you use the car, the loosen the door will be... while i already have 10k miles there.

After comparing with other less-miles cars, the guy told me that "yeah, each car we built is different, they were built by different facility, and it is very possible that there is "imperfect" condition in each car". Wow, this is the answer that I don't expect. This is MB you're talking about.. I can accept other imperfect things.. but for doors??

SECOND:
My wiper blades are skipping. Dealer already replaced it with new blades, but doesn't help. If I put wax, soap, or rain X the skipping stop, but will appear again. What is weird is that the skipping only shows when THERE IS water on the windshield. If the windshield is dry (no rain/water), the blades are acting normal. Dealer is still working on it.

Anyone can help??
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had the very stiff doors on my 04 also. The dealer keeps lubricating the hinges I bet. Get a little white lithium grease, open the door to its widest position & apply the grease on your fingers. Then apply the grease to the top, bottom & thin sides of the "check link". That is the black flat bar with sets of hills & valleys, that keeps the door from swinging freely closed from 2 different open positions. (it also keeps the door from catching the wind & blowing completely open, back upon the front fender. It slides into & out of the door as it opens & closes and it is a very binding fit.) You will notice an immediate improvement. Don't slather the grease on, but add more if you don't get enough slide. If it doesn't offer any resistance to the door, it cant hold the door open on a slight incline & the door will want to close on your shins. On the other hand, you can always wipe off the excess grease & eventually it will grip tighter again, so don't worry about it too much.
Tada!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by lpolo
My wiper blades are skipping. Dealer already replaced it with new blades, but doesn't help. If I put wax, soap, or rain X the skipping stop, but will appear again. What is weird is that the skipping only shows when THERE IS water on the windshield. If the windshield is dry (no rain/water), the blades are acting normal. Dealer is still working on it. Anyone can help??
Many others here on the forum, including myself, had the same problem with their wipers. Simply replacing the wiper blades one time fixed it for the majority. More than likely they will have to swap out the blades again.

Overall, why do our wipers skip so often?
Audi just redesigned their wipers because of so many U.S. customer complaints. Research found that the wipers, designed and manufactured for high-speed German autobahns, squeak more on low-speed U.S. roads because there’s less wind pressing the wipers up against the glass. More than likely this is also the case with our Mercedes wipers.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Tesla
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I had the very stiff doors on my 04 also. The dealer keeps lubricating the hinges I bet. Get a little white lithium grease, open the door to its widest position & apply the grease on your fingers. Then apply the grease to the top, bottom & thin sides of the "check link". That is the black flat bar with sets of hills & valleys, that keeps the door from swinging freely closed from 2 different open positions. (it also keeps the door from catching the wind & blowing completely open, back upon the front fender. It slides into & out of the door as it opens & closes and it is a very binding fit.) You will notice an immediate improvement. Don't slather the grease on, but add more if you don't get enough slide. If it doesn't offer any resistance to the door, it cant hold the door open on a slight incline & the door will want to close on your shins. On the other hand, you can always wipe off the excess grease & eventually it will grip tighter again, so don't worry about it too much.
Tada!
I can't believe we have to do this to a $50-60K car. I'd be embarassed to tell this to a Toyota/Honda owner.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by lpolo
SECOND:
My wiper blades are skipping.
Anyone can help??
Well just in case dealer will give up on you and you don't want to pay $120 for both arms then BapGeon has a refill for $7/ea.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by steph280
I can't believe we have to do this to a $50-60K car. I'd be embarassed to tell this to a Toyota/Honda owner.
Look at it this way... They made sure that the very heavy, sturdy MB doors would not swing shut against your shins when parked on an incline. How many American car doors swing open too fast with a little push & hit the stop & bounce back against your legs as you keep tapping the door open again & again and it bounces back again, untill you mutter something about "cheap damn American cars"...
Close tolerances are a hallmark of quality and craftsmanship. Your dealer just assumed that the hinges were too tight. Its not a defect so much as the check link doing its job well.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:17 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
[QUOTE=Barry45RPM]How many American car doors swing open too fast with a little push & hit the stop & bounce back against your legs as you keep tapping the door open again & again and it bounces back againQUOTE]

Yeah you are right.. That happened to me once, ouch.. It was awful..
Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 AM

2012 CLS
I had the wiper problem - in the ned this was cured by changing the arms and not just the blades. The dealer did a swap witha car in the showroom just to see if it worked - and yes it did and has been fine ever since.

I had 3 sets of blades before taking this step! All only worked temporarily - something to do with the tension of the spring in the wiper arm............

Marc
Old 03-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
Originally Posted by marc777
I had the wiper problem - in the ned this was cured by changing the arms and not just the blades. The dealer did a swap witha car in the showroom just to see if it worked - and yes it did and has been fine ever since.

I had 3 sets of blades before taking this step! All only worked temporarily - something to do with the tension of the spring in the wiper arm............

Marc
I just got mine back from the first service, and I had complained about the chatter problem. They replaced the blades, and it rained today - same problem. I guess I will ask to have my arms replaced. Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin regarding chattering blades?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Never had the wiper arms replaced, only the blades ONCE – problem solved. Both were replaced free at mileage 19500 referencing TSB P-B-82.30/254 JUN03. This is the only bulletin I know of that pertains to the wipers however only applies only up to VIN 218290. If you need a copy, post or PM your email address.

If your mileage is below 12000 miles or marginally over your dealer should replace the blades for free, and the arms too with a little persuasion.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 AM

Angry Problems with Rain-X

Rain-X and similar products are great at first specially if you drive quickly and don´t even use your windshield wipers. However it will start wearing off and you must reapply. If you decide you no longer want to use it... you're in a bind... neither the Rain-X or the wipers will work properly until it all comes off... and then you can feel a step between where the wipers work and where they don't.

I found this out in my first 1988 300TE 4 matic wagon!!! I put on 72,000 kms. in 20 months of ownership at pretty high speed in Europe and sold it. Never put in on again on my 192,000 kms. 1990 300TE 4 matic or my 265,000 kms in my next 1996 E420 wagon and even less on my current 40,000 kms. 1 year old E55 Kompressor wagon !!!

Also never put it on my 190,000 kms. 1990 M5 which I still have.

And I have been driving fast and faster and fastest !!!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree... Dont use rain x.

OK until you have to use your wipers esp on a freeway with overhead lights... smear, smear.

To remove it requires a lot of effort to. On their website it says to use wet Bon AMI

I have been advised to change blades and Wipe a 1/2 cut potato over screen. Will try that tonight.

Bazzle
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Doors: I love the "heaviness" of the MB doors, and the resistance
to swinging.. I used to hate that on my VW. But clearly this is an area where Gentleman can disagree.

Windows: I just finished applying a coat of Wolfgang synthetic polymer wax to my car yesterday, and when I wax a car, I wax it all! Glass, chrome, wheels, mirrors.. etc.. I have found over the years that this keeps the entire car looking new, and more over on the glass makes the wipers more efficient, and keeps the rain from sticking to the glass. Try it, it works.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The doors will swing easier if you lubricate the check link on the door. Easy does it unless you want them to swing like saloon (bar) doors. Its NOT the hinges that need this lubrication.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-01-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a DTB out about adjusting the angle of the wiper arms to cure the chattering problem. The dealer uses a tool to measure the angle of the arms in relation to the windshield and adjusts them as necessary.

As for the door issue, inquire about replacing the door checks.