Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML320 BAS ESP and ETS Lights....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 01:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
ML320 BAS ESP and ETS Lights....

I just took my car in for a 30,000 mile check up and they replaced the brakes, before i took the car in the bas esp and ets lights would come on during driving (didnt notice any particular pattern just random times). I wrote on the service note that these lights needed to be checked, (figuring they would find it anyways) but when i got the car back, the lights came on more often. Not even after a long drive, like i would start it in the morning and those lights would come on right away. I know bas esp is brake assistance system or something, but i just got new brakes installed, is this a malfunction? should i take it in?
Old 04-12-2002, 11:58 AM

ML55 AMG
Apparently, MB has been having problems with the control module associated with the ESP/BAS function. Mine was just replaced because it was doing the same thing.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:22 PM

asdf
When you changed your brakes were they under warantee? I assumed that they were but when my low brake pad light came on yesterday they said it wasn't and that they were going to charge me close to $300 just for the front two. Also, do you know if your service light needs to be on to make an appointment for a service? My car is closing in close to 40,000 and I want to have it serviced before my warantee is over. Haha, call me cheap but I'm just wondering.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
nope brakes werent under warranty, it was 500 for front and back brakes, plus i got a full service done just 2 weeks ago, service light isnt on, but i thought they would have found out this problem. Everything was done by the dealership so nothing can be blamed on a poor job by some off brand company, maybe ill take it in and ask what the deal is.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
The brake pad wearing and the BAS/ESP warning lights have nothing to do with each other, believe it or not. I'd say your most likely cause is a stop-lamp switch, followed by a steering angle sensor, or a booster diaphragm travel sensor.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
lol well then, i think i understand russian better, think you could put it in simpler terms for me, being new to the mercedes ml and all lol, thanks for your help though
Old 04-13-2002, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Sorry:

The stop-lamp switch is used to tell the control module when you're pressing the brake pedal. The control module then turns the brake lights on.

The steering angle sensor is on the steering column, under the dash. It tells the control module how far you're turning the steering wheel. If this is bad, the entire steering shaft has to be replaced.

The booster diaphragm travel sensor is located in the brake booster, and tells the control module how hard you're pushing the brake pedal and how quickly.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:48 PM

etx/abs

If this is true, then a faulty switch would not notify the control module to turn on the brake lights. On my car, the ETS/ABS lights are on but the brake lights come on as they are supposed to. I just replaced my brakes and the brake pad sensor was OK so I didn't change it. (The lights were on before I changed the pads.) I don't think changing brake pads should be a dealer problem as it took me about 45 min to change all 4 wheels. However, the pads are a bit pricy! How do I get the ETS/ABS lights to go off. One other piece of info - The vehicle was towed for 14 miles with a front wheel dolly with the battery disconnected. Did I hurt it?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:56 PM

No a faulty stop lamp switch can still fault the ABS/ESP but work the brake lights. Sounds like a wiring modifiaction required, common problem with ML and C class, ask your dealer, as three wires leading to the ABS unit sometimes need to be modified.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:58 PM

PS: MBTECH 208, why does the whole steering shaft need to be replaced? The steering angle sensor is behind the steering wheel and is replaceable easy job.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info. It wouldn't suprise me if some modification were necessary. The mechanic I talked to said he doubted that new brake pads would help the ets/abs lights to go off but he didn't elaborate.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Well the new pads would definatley NOT cause any faults within the ABS etc unless when fitted they caught a wheel speed sensor?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM

ESP light on the Dash

Hey ppl...

My 4th Merc.... 2001 ML 320 that i bought a week ago is giving me a bit of trouble.... There is a ESP warning light flashing on the dash whenever the truck is started..... I took it to the dealership and they told me that it would cost $250 just to observe the problem.... this wasnt something I could afford....

my dad also says the breaking of the truck is not upto standards.... on checking with the dealer... he confirms new breaks for the truck...

I have tried to read about how to go about solving this problem.... but havnt been able to get anywere..... can any1 please help me out in a simple laymans language...

Thanks

Angad
Attached Thumbnails ML320 BAS ESP and ETS Lights....-dsc00007.jpg  
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Brakes are too important for "simple laymen" to work on.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 AM

Unhappy

I understand that its no lay mans job..... but im new to canada and simply cant afford to go the MB Dealership.....

If someone can point out the problem I could take it to a regular mechanic and help him diagnose the problem.....

help needed... please....