E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Remote Problem

Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
'08 CL65
Remote Problem

The remotes for my '04 E500 doesn't operate the windows properly, ie. open/close. Is there a problem with the remotes or the car or both?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Are you asking about the function of raising or lowering all the windows, and opening/closing the sunroof, from outside the car? MBUSA calls this "summer opening" and "convenience closing" (go figure).

That particular function uses infrared, not radio, and doesn't operate from a distance. You have stand right next to the driver's door and aim the end of the key at the little infrared receptor on the door handle.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
1 remote, my former spare, unused key (smart key) on my car does work the windows, the other one, my former daily-used key doesn't anymore except at night or inside the garage. Dealer replaced the batteries in both, for 40 bucks (!!!)... keys still work the same way!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so one key works for everything, and one doesnt? if thats the case you need a new key...... they both use the same radio antennae and IR receivers so if one key works and one doesnt your only variable is the key, providing the key that is currently not working, was working previously.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
'08 CL65
I have the same problem w/ both of my keys. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Took car to the dealer and wouldn't you know it, IT WORKS! Service manager says to "bring it back when it's not working and we'll put the car on the computer to verify what we already know.... it doesn't work".
Old 05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
This function uses IR which means the signal can be affected by things such as sunlight, and how close your fob is to the receiver. You need to put the key fob right in front of the sensor (within 1 inch) and press and hold the open button to lower the windows, or press and hold the lock button to close the windows.

I do use this feature quite a bit and have never had an issue with it (although if it's really sunny and I move my hand even a little bit, it loses the signal).
Old 05-24-2006, 05:50 PM

Harley-Davidson
My remote will open (or close) all windows and the sunroof from 15 or 20 feet away as long as the small end of the transmitter is aimed at the driver's door handle.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:33 PM

2003 E500, vent seats, pano, solar, karmon hardon tunes
Summer Open, Convenience Close

Same issue here, twice, with my 03 and my boss's 03. Lasy week, boss tells me his 'opener' doesn't work. We walk to the car, I push the button--it works. Yesterday, my car was in the sun (being 'cooled' by the solar panel powered fans), I decided to open the windows and pano roof. To my surprise, nothing happened. I got the spare key and tried it. It opened and closed. Just for S&G, tried my original key--it now works. Don't you just love poltergeists?

Last edited by vrodhd; 05-30-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Idiotic German MB engineering! My Son's new Honda coupe uses radio freqs to lock & unlock AND roll down the windows from pretty far away no matter which way the remote is pointed. Works 1st time, everytime. Day or Night, rain or shine. Its a shame.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
That has always annoyed me with the lowering of the windows. You have to be so close that you gain no benefit from doing it through the key. In my Lexus, I was able to open the windows from as far away as I could unlock the car.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 PM

2004 E320
I have a C320 and an E320, The IR thing is stupid I agree. My 2000 BMW works fine as far away as you can lock and unlock. In any case, why would this only work from the passenger side, which is the case for my C320?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Joemama
I have a C320 and an E320, The IR thing is stupid I agree. My 2000 BMW works fine as far away as you can lock and unlock. In any case, why would this only work from the passenger side, which is the case for my C320?

Because the unlock command is sent by radio waves to a receiver on the car. The window feature command is sent via IR (Like the remote control on your TV) to a little burgundy IR receiver window in the drivers door handle. There was an identical receiver window on the passenger door handle thru the 2003 E Class cars. The IR has a much shorter range.

In this day & age it is kind of stupid for the engineers to have made these 2 commands be sent thru different methods... but Engineers do make design "mistakes". On my Son's '07 Honda Accord Coupe, holding the unlock button opens only the windows, not the sun roof.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Because the unlock command is sent by radio waves to a receiver on the car. The window feature command is sent via IR (Like the remote control on your TV) to a little burgundy IR receiver window in the drivers door handle. There was an identical receiver window on the passenger door handle thru the 2003 E Class cars. The IR has a much shorter range.

In this day & age it is kind of stupid for the engineers to have made these 2 commands be sent thru different methods... but Engineers do make design "mistakes". On my Son's '07 Honda Accord Coupe, holding the unlock button opens only the windows, not the sun roof.
I think it is for safety reasons. I can't count the number of times I have had something in my pocket hit the PANIC button on one of my keyless entry fobs while sitting down. Granted the way the Mercedes key is shaped it doesn't happen on that car as often, but how would you like to sit down and relax on your couch after a day at work and your pocket knife press the unlock button and rolls your windows down on your E-class in your driveway in the middle of a rainstorm!

I think that is the same reason the doors will automatically lock back if you unlock them with the transmitter and do not open a door within a minute or two - the car assumes it was a mistake.

I agree it would be a nice feature for them to open from farther away, but I think I understand why they do not. Of course they could require the pressing of two buttons at the same time to minimize the chance of error.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I think it is for safety reasons. I can't count the number of times I have had something in my pocket hit the PANIC button on one of my keyless entry fobs while sitting down. Granted the way the Mercedes key is shaped it doesn't happen on that car as often, but how would you like to sit down and relax on your couch after a day at work and your pocket knife press the unlock button and rolls your windows down on your E-class in your driveway in the middle of a rainstorm!

At least pick a reasonable scenario. The IR part of the system was the best the German linear thinking MB engineers could come up with in the 90's. The Japanese did it better. Who'd a thunk it could happen this way?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
At least pick a reasonable scenario. The IR part of the system was the best the German linear thinking MB engineers could come up with in the 90's. The Japanese did it better. Who'd a thunk it could happen this way?
I think the scenario from Polar Bear was an appropriate one. We may prefer it differently but MB needs to face the liability etc. Another one is that this way you don't close the windows when you don't see if someone is reaching out from the open window when you close them (OK, could still open from distance, but then the previous scenario comes). There are several other examples where MB is much more cautious than other brands.

And the capability is there, the doors open both from the IR & from the radio, it would not have been difficult for MB to make windows open from distance.

On the other hand, the sunroof closes when it starts raining (I believe it closes with the rear still up, you would get some water in if the wind was blowing hard from behind.