Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Radio continues playin after car turned off, key out, and doors locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E430 4matic
Radio continues playin after car turned off, key out, and doors locked

I've got an '01 E430 and 95% of the time when i shut the car off, the car will continue play music, but all displays will be off and you can't raise/lower the volume. The radio will stay on for like 10 seconds after i pull the key out. Now, i can deal with that, but for the first time yesterday, the radio wouldn't shut off at all, i even tried shuttin and then locking the doors with no result it played for over 3 minutes till i got back in, turned car on and shut it back off. Has anyone had this problem?? This is the stock head unit. The craziest thing is that it will do it for a few days, then it won't for a few startups/shutdowns, then start doin it again. Its pretty embarrassing actually, car likes to listen to music while i leave the car.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Little
I've got an '01 E430 and 95% of the time when i shut the car off, the car will continue play music, but all displays will be off and you can't raise/lower the volume. The radio will stay on for like 10 seconds after i pull the key out. Now, i can deal with that, but for the first time yesterday, the radio wouldn't shut off at all, i even tried shuttin and then locking the doors with no result it played for over 3 minutes till i got back in, turned car on and shut it back off. Has anyone had this problem?? This is the stock head unit. The craziest thing is that it will do it for a few days, then it won't for a few startups/shutdowns, then start doin it again. Its pretty embarrassing actually, car likes to listen to music while i leave the car.
There is a diagnostic setting for how long the radio can run without IGN power. This function may be going a bit whacky.

At the first point I would remove the radio from the car (make sure you can find the pin code first) and see what happens when you put it back in later.

Then perhaps look into getting a new radio or getting the wiring checked to see if CONSTANT and IGN power are not swapped around.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The absolute easiest first step is to disconnect the car battery for a few seconds and then reconnect it to give all systems a hard reset. (Heed pin code advise above).

If this doesn't work, then go deeper.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM

2001 E430 4matic
Well, i think the radio just pooped out on me, locked up two nites ago, screen wouldn't shut off, even with key off. Next morning display still on so i took back seat out and pulled the fuse, oops, forgot about radio code and don't have it in my manual. Hopefully the reset may have cured the problem.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by benzmodz
There is a diagnostic setting for how long the radio can run without IGN power.
Is it possible for me to change this setting, or does the dealer (with the computer) need to do it? I find it annoying that my radio continues to play after turning off the car but with the key still in the ignition (specifically when getting gas) and would like the radio to simply stop when the car is off.

Also, I am working on adding aftermarket radios which can't access the ignition sense (over CANBUS), so I'm trying to run a switched line off the cigarette lighter. It would be nice to have the constant power shut off immediately to ensure it doesn't stay on and drain the battery. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM

2001 E430 4matic
quick update,

I got the radio code a couple days ago from my dealer over the phone and plugged it in, radio has been working properly since then, woot. Let's see how long it performs till it acts up again, hopefully never but no biggie if i can reset again.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Where can you find the PIN code?

I don't seem to remember getting a PIN code for the radio when I purchased the car. Previous cars that I have purchased (Honda Accords) have provided a PIN code on a little credit card-sized plastic card, but I don't think I remember seeing one with the materials for my new MB. Should this info be given with the materials or is this something you'll have to call your dealer to get?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
Call dealer you bought from, give them VIN, they'll give you the radio code.