C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ticking sound under the center console? The faster I drive the more it ticks

Old 10-24-2002, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Ticking sound under the center console? The faster I drive the more it ticks

and it is freekn' annoying. Anyone had this problem? At 5 mph it may tick 2 times per second. We are going to take the car back in and have them check it out.

Sounds like a baseball card in bicyle spokes flapping around.

Thanks

Eric
Old 10-24-2002, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
There may be something caught in one of the universal joints.

Crawling around the car I noticed that MB doesn't cut off the tails on their zip ties. WTF is that about? The noise could be a zip tie tail touching a part of the driveshaft or U-joint.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:13 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
Hey, 604_kpEscoba mentioned the same problem in another thread. They didn't know what the cause was either, but you could check up with them to see if they ever did find out - try this link:

Drivetrain Whine Link

If that doesn't work, search for "Drivetrain whine" - it was where we were all discussing differential problems.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
It could also be an exhaust leak at the manifold where it hits the block. They often sound like 'tick's and get more rapid as rpm increases.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:36 PM

Ford Pinto
Thanks for the responses. It is not an exhaust leak because reving in neutral standing still no noise. It is defintely a "driveline" noise. My guess is something is caught up in the u-joint as someone described above.

It got so loud the other day we could not hold a conversation in the car. We are calling the dealer tomorrow first thing.

Raise up the center console, and it sounds horrific.

Eric
Old 11-23-2002, 07:57 PM

Ford Pinto
TTT

Just in case someone else is having the problem.

Eric
Old 11-24-2002, 01:06 PM

c230 Coupe
its a bomb RUN!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 M Coupe and 2001 C320
hopefully it's not your differential (most likely not) or your transmission.

that's going to suck if it is.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:00 PM

Ford Pinto
Problem Solved

Metal Insulation hitting the driveshaft.

I know a few other memebers were having the same problem. I have contacted one and the others I don't have contact info from.

It did take 3 trips to the dealer and my wife driving around for 1 hour every day at lunch until the insulation would start hitting hte driveshaft making the sound so she could wheel in our MB dealer and let them listen. They finally heard it and finally took a good long look under the car. I guess they figured they didn't want to swap trannies.

Hope this helps. The sound was best heard with the center console open.

Eric
Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
Propeller Shaft?

Originally Posted by wizkid

I know a few other memebers were having the same problem. I have contacted one and the others I don't have contact info from.

It did take 3 trips to the dealer and my wife driving around for 1 hour every day at lunch until the insulation would start hitting hte driveshaft making the sound so she could wheel in our MB dealer and let them listen. They finally heard it and finally took a good long look under the car. I guess they figured they didn't want to swap trannies.

Eric
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. The ticking comes only when the car is hot and it varies with road speed. It seems like it's coming from beneath the centre arm rest between the front seats.

Are you referring to heat shield touching the propeller shaft along the tranny tunnel or the rear wheel drive shaft? Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by wizkid

Eric

This guy is absolutely right. I had the exact same problem. No body could figure it out for the longest time. Then I read a thread on this problem and told the service advisor about it. They looked into it and fixed the problem. The older C-models have this problem. If your car was built in 2001 or early 2002, this is a potential problem that starts at 15000 to 20000 miles. Also be aware that the car needs to be running for awhile or under the hot sun for this problem to start up. If you take your car to the dealer fresh in the morning after its been cool overnight, they may not hear the problem and give the car back to you without fixing it.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:23 AM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
Originally Posted by spchaser
This guy is absolutely right. I had the exact same problem. No body could figure it out for the longest time. Then I read a thread on this problem and told the service advisor about it. They looked into it and fixed the problem. The older C-models have this problem. If your car was built in 2001 or early 2002, this is a potential problem that starts at 15000 to 20000 miles. Also be aware that the car needs to be running for awhile or under the hot sun for this problem to start up. If you take your car to the dealer fresh in the morning after its been cool overnight, they may not hear the problem and give the car back to you without fixing it.
Hi,

How did they fix your problem? I sent my car in today, but couldn't find any part of the exhaust heat shield touching or close to the propeller shaft. The noise is still there.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM

Ford Pinto
I believe they just cut away the insulation. They told my wife insulation, I imagine it was a heat shield but I didn't want to assume.

It did take them 3 hours to figure it out once they finally admitted there was a problem. It got really bad right before they fixed it.

Eric Barger
Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
If you have the ability to jack it up yourself and of course use a jack stand for support, you are probably better off looking yourself. The dealer most likely just popped it up took a quick look and did not see anything. You need to get her hot first so the shields will move into place and then look. What happens is something gets run over, regular road ****, and if course bends those flimsy panels. Bend them all against the car and away from the shaft if you can. Funny my wife came home from the deale the other day and my brother in law noticed something under the car, it was a 3 foot long stick, tree branch, she had dragged for most likely 30 miles. It was stuck to one of the front noise encapsulation panels, plastic panel under engine! I guess the noise insulation is pretty good to not hear a stick dragging for 30 miles!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C240
I had this problem with my 2001 C240. The first time I took it in it took me almost 2 hours of driving to get it to start ticking. Once it did I had a tech drive with me so I could show him the problem. He diagnosed it as the drive shaft insolation sagging as it got warm and rubbing against the drive shaft. He had seen it on some C's before and the typical fix was to shave off some of the insolation around the shaft so it wouldn't rub. I said great and let them keep my car for a few days.

When I got it back the propeller head assembly was replaced along with a few other related parts. A few days later the tick was back... ugh so I brought it back and they messed with it again. I don't remember what they did but it didn't fix it. Third time they finally did what the original tech said was the typical fix (shave the insolation) and I haven't heard the sound since.

One of the many problems my 2001 C240 has had...
Old 08-13-2004, 01:29 PM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
Thanks

Sent the car in to the local dealer today. They refitted the heat shields and the noise went away. Thanks everyone who shared their experience.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
Ticking

ok since the weather is cold i have not been hearing that ticking noise thats comes from under the center console in my car well actually the driveshaft do you guys think i should still take in my car to MB dealer or wait till the weather gets back hot will this do any damage to my car does anyone know
Old 12-14-2004, 08:56 AM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
I don't think it will do any harm to the car. The heat shield is probably touching the propeller shaft.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 C240
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
ok since the weather is cold i have not been hearing that ticking noise thats comes from under the center console in my car well actually the driveshaft do you guys think i should still take in my car to MB dealer or wait till the weather gets back hot will this do any damage to my car does anyone know
I would call you service advisor and tell him that you know several people with the same symptoms and ask him/her what he/she would advize you to do.

It will not hurt the car, and probably won't happen unless the car gets suitably warm... but you mine as well get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

Dumb story... I backed off a rock wall (don't ask) and a rock hit my exhuast pipe and caused it to bend the heat shield into my drive shaft. It made a terrible noise especially when going faster than 5mph, very much like a playing card stuck in my spokes. Drove it about 2 miles to the dealer going 5mph the entire way and no damage was caused. Your milage may vary. =)
Old 12-14-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Glad to see their is a possible solution to this annoying problem. Mine has been doing this for the past year and I was thinking the problem was coming from the climate control fans...but the car was also making the sound with the heater/AC off..so it made no sense to me..
Old 12-14-2004, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
my car is in the dealer now

i sent him an email with all of u guys post and the link so he can see for him self what i am talkin about and i told him as much as i could thanks alot guy for everything