190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Diagnosing and reading 1990 190e 2.6 codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 190E 2.6
Diagnosing and reading 1990 190e 2.6 codes

Hey everyone. Trying to chase down what is rendering my 190e useless.

From about 2006-2012 it had a issue where it would run fine until warmed up, and then would die and refuse to restart until it was cooled down. It would kick back and nearly break the starter off the block. That turned out to be a CPS.

After i fixed that, i brought it back to my house from where it had been stored and drove it around some to clear it out and make sure everything else was fine. All was good until a day after i brought it home. I washed it and drove it into my back yard where it proceeded to start pouring black smoke out the exhaust (Running horribly rich) and would barely run. Messed around with it a bit and finally broke down and bought another FD and threw on it. That fixed it for about a day and then it started to do the same thing again.

I'm going to back track a little. When i went and put the new CPS in, in early 2012, it hadn't been run since mid 2009. When i parked it, it was parked with a full tank of gas and when i went to get it running I didn't have any fuel getting to the FD. I poured a gallon of gas in it, and it still didn't have any out front so i deemed the pumps dead and bought a set of used ones. After I installed the new-to-me pumps, it still didn't have fuel up front so i poured 5 more gallons into it and it picked up. I'm not sure what happened to the full tank that it had, but thats not my reason for typing this. I'm wondering if the FP's that i put on it over pressured and killed the distributors (I would figure the FPR would regulate it..) or what the deal is. It has the old pumps back on it now.

Now, today after building me a code reader I went out to the car and started it for the first time in 6 months. Started right up and wasn't running rich. Plugged the tester in it. Socket 3 tested fine, with only one flash. Socket 6 showed code 3 and 8. Erased the codes and only code 3 came back. I can only find code lists for 89-93 2.3's and 91-93 2.6's. I don't know why the 1990 model isn't included.

Ran it a while and once it warmed up (80c or so) it got where the idle was very rough and when put in gear it would nearly die. It would start after it was shut off but not very willingly. Had to crank 10-15 seconds for it to catch.

After this i let it rest for about an hour and tested all the plugs.

Socket 3: Got code 3 and 28. Cleared and 28 went away. Had been unplugging things so i attribute it to that.

Socket 6: still code 3

Socket 7: Flashed once, no code

Socket 14: (Didn't test the first time, because I didn't realize it had a wire going to it) It showed code 2,3,12,and 13.

Started it back and let it run for about an hour. Never idled rough or attempted to die, but it was a little choppy (barely) when in gear. It ran pretty good and had good throttle response. I have no clue why it decided to run good.

Tested again after it ran for the hour and same codes still showed. None of them would clear, by the way.

At what temperature are the electric fans supposed to kick in? (I figure only one runs when the AC is off) It was above 80c and the fans never kicked in. Unplugged some sensor (Prior to letting it run for an hour) about mid-head with 2 prongs and the fan on the drivers side kicked in. Plugged it back in and it shut off. Unplugged the round 4 prong plug (prior to running it for an hour as well) at the rear of the head and nothing changed. Unplugging the ICV and the engine changed RPM as it should.

Code 3 is coolant temperature switch from what i can tell. I cannot find anything telling me which sensor this is. Some people say its one with 3 prongs (Which mine doesnt have) Some say its a 2 prong and some say its the 4 prong. I need to know which one could affect the mixture and cause the engine to run like so if it malfunctioned.

If anyone has any info or has experienced similar problems please chime in. I'd really love to get this car back on the road because its not doing any good as it is. I'm planning on going to where it is to mess with it tomorrow afternoon, so if anyone has information that could help me while im there i would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long and disorganized post.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1990_190e; 10-13-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you are still looking for assistance-----what is the VIN??