190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

93 190E Wont turn over unless battery is disconnected overnight Strange symptoms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6L
Exclamation 93 190E Wont turn over unless battery is disconnected overnight Strange symptoms

I have a 190E 2.6L that will not start. I have tried a few things but without much luck. The symptoms are odd to me and im not sure they are all connected. I drove the car for awhile after I bought it and all seemed fine other than the acceleration seemed a bit week. After a few months things started happening like the wiper would just rendomly turn on with the switch on off and untouched. I would have to wedge the switch between speeds to make it stop and then eventually the problem would go away. Then suddenly I started haveing trouble starting the car sometimes. It cranks and cranks but won't turn over. It did this off and on for a couple months then one day it just wouldnt start. I replaced the plug and cleaned the cap and rotor and still no luck. I tried to start it from time to time over the next couple weeks and then kinda gave up. I recently decided to charge the battery and check for spark. To my surprise with the 2nd plug wire pulled the car fired up instantly. I shut it off and then pulled the 1st plug wire to see if there was spark and again it fired right up. I was holding the rubber end of the wire with a plug in it using a rubber handled pliers and somehow it shocked my through the rubber handle. Anyway, I drove the car that afternoon and evening and started it several times with no problem, even sat for 4 hours at one point and still fired up fine. The next day I went to start it and no luck. Things I have noticed are that it seems to start only after the battery is disconnected for a long period of time, when I pulled plug wire 1 it smelled like gas and is corroded, also sometimes the pump below the coolant res tank stays on even without the key in ignition, I have also seen the fans stay on with no key in ignition, radio fuse suddenly started blow right when I try to open sunroof or turn on the radio (This started happening around the time the car started having trouble turning over). Not sure if these are all connected or separate issues but hoping someone may be able to shed some light on any of them. I also checked the fuel pressure by loosening the line and it seems fine, I can hear the pump engage as well and it sounds strong. I dont know much about electrical at all and do not know how to use a multimeter but plan to learn. Sorry so long but I don't know whats important and whats not or how else to explain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by s190e; 02-03-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Sounds like a classic battery failure. You would be surprised at some of the problems that a bad battery can cause. How old is your battery? I have seen all kinds of weird stuff happen when the battery is weak.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM

Ok now I left sit overnight disconnected and it will not start. I notice a sweet smell after i attempt to start it and it only cranks. I have tried starting with jumper cables too. For some reason though when I hook up my jump pack, I have to get the negative on just right for it to show as connected. I just dont get why after sitting for like 6 months, it fired right up and ran an started that entire afternoon and eve, then the next morning wouldnt start again and hasnt since.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you had the battery tested? Jump starting can easily cause problems with some of the electronics in the car.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 190e 2.3
First things first. Do Not jump start a 190e. They have an ovp relay behind the battery with a fuse in it. If you jump start it, it will blow the relay and/or fuse. So start there as I'm sure you fried the ovp. Next, sitting for 6 months the gas is probably bad now. (sluggish feeling on acceleration?) drain the tank, change the fuel filter, run 91 octane or better if available. The car shouldn't fire up easier with a plug wire removed, it should take longer. Check all of you grounds, sounds like some are loose somewhere (which is why it started easier and shocked you, you were ground) Sweet smell could be coolant. Look for leaks. Check for peanut butter on the oil cap, check the coolant for oil. The pump and fans will run regardless of the key being in the ignition until the engine drops below a certain temp. The pump below the coolant tank is for circulation of coolant when the car is at idle for cooling, more efficient heater core operation, and runs after the car turns off to stop hot spots forming in the block after the car is shut down hot.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agree with Doc. Never jump start a Benz. It creates all kinds of havoc.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM

Update

I recently ordered and replaced the OVP and it fired right up. Hope it continues. Thanks for the information on that. My next issue is that my power steering doesn't work. I have read countless threads claiming that no harm can be done by turning your steering wheel with the engine off but I never had PS problem until I did that. One night I got home and had to park facing downhill. I put the car in park and then realized I didn't turn the wheels to face the curb, so I decided to turn them without restarting the car. Obviously it was a bit tough to turn them but other than that, I was able to do so. The next day I started my car and went to pull away and had no power steering. I added fluid and it sprayed right out. Its seems an unlikely coincidence for this to have nothing to do with turning the wheels with the engine off the night before. Im wondering if the pressure could have blown something like the high pressure hose but again, I have read many posts that claim turning the wheel with the engine off can in no way cause harm. Any insight on this? I won't be able to start tearing into it for a few days so I figured, I see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks again for all the help already as I greatly appreciate it.