190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Starts, wont stay running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
Starts, wont stay running

First post- 190e 4 cyl with 280k miles. Driving to work on a cold 10F, morning when it suddenly died as if was out of gas. Would restart and run for less than a minute. Full tank of fuel. Car owned for 2 years and always was a hard starter warm or cold but would start after 3-5 long crankings and would stumble at idle until warmed up. Car did get 20 mpg. The car was towed home. Car has good spark and distributor checked and cleaned. Over Voltage Protector checked and fuse good. Checking the Fuel Distributor I felt the fuel flow was poor. Ordered new fuel pumps (2) and fuel filter and the Fuel Pump Relay. All installed and fuel pressure good at Fuel Distributor. Good flow out of injector tubings when Air Flow Sensor Plate pushed open. Would not start normally. Took off electrical connector and reinstalled and checked the Cold Start Injector during starting with no flow shown. I was able to get the car to start if I would push the Air Flow Sensor Plate manually and the car would start and run for 30 seconds. Looking in below the Air Flow Sensor Plate, there dis seem to be raw fuel laying there. If I would have the engine cranking and push the Air Flow Sensor Plate and then hold the throttle open it would start and run at 1500 RPM and above with a little stumble in it. As soon as it went back to idle it died. Repeating the process it would start again and run at high RPM. So I know at least it will run. I tried putting in the old Fuel Pump Relay with no change. Pulled the OVP fuse still intact and re-soldered inside suspect connections but I have no power on either side of the fuse with ignition on. Car would start with the modified starting procedure above. HELP.
1. Is there a another fuel filter I am missing?
2. Is it the Cold start Injector?
3. Is it the Coolant Temperature Sensor bad?
4. Should the OVP be replaced?
5. Is it the Fuel Distributor?
6. What have I missed?

There is no service shop in my area to turn to so Iam on my own.