CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Differential leak fix: HOW TO???

Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Rear Differential leak fix: HOW TO???

I have just been hit with the infamous Rear Differential leak!!! The dealer here wants 900 euros which is close to 1200 dollars!!! A local shop wants 600 euros which is 750 dollars!! The latter is cheaper but its still a hell of alot of money for a new seal job...I bought the special sealant for 25 bucks thinking I could do it myself since I do all my work but this job is ....well it isnt easy without a good how to.

Does anyone have how to or know where I can get one. I know I can do the job I just need to know what to do step by step. This part seems to connect to the entire damn rear end.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Anyone???
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Rear diff leak

Are you getting leaks where the axle shafts come out of the housing? One side or both? Or is this a leak on the rear cover that is bolted on?

Is this seepage making oil stains on the housing or leaking to the point of leaving stains on the ground?

The reason is if the differential vent is plugged, the oil expands when it heats up during driving and the internal pressure will force oil past the seals. The vent allows thermal expansion of the oil without forcing it past the seals - got this info from a tech that has seen this type of symptom due to a plugged or clogged vent because of road grime.

If the oil leaks enough to leave drips on the ground, then you may have a seal that needs replacing.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Hal H
Are you getting leaks where the axle shafts come out of the housing? One side or both? Or is this a leak on the rear cover that is bolted on?

Is this seepage making oil stains on the housing or leaking to the point of leaving stains on the ground?

The reason is if the differential vent is plugged, the oil expands when it heats up during driving and the internal pressure will force oil past the seals. The vent allows thermal expansion of the oil without forcing it past the seals - got this info from a tech that has seen this type of symptom due to a plugged or clogged vent because of road grime.

If the oil leaks enough to leave drips on the ground, then you may have a seal that needs replacing.

It is leaking from where the cover is bolted on but it is only making the cover moist. I do not see drops forming or anything hit the ground. I looked all over the seal and it looks like it is still good but it worried me cause it was wet.

Where is this differential plug? Does anyone have a pic? Man if this is the case then I will owe you big time for saving me some money!!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
IS the diff wet or is it actually leaking on the floor?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
It is leaking from where the cover is bolted on but it is only making the cover moist. I do not see drops forming or anything hit the ground. I looked all over the seal and it looks like it is still good but it worried me cause it was wet.
I'd would say that the rear diff cover should be removed and re-sealed. If the sides of the diff (where axles protrude through) are dry and the front pinion seal (this is where driveshaft connects to the front) is also dry, I suspect the diff cover needs to be pulled and re-sealed.

That is kind of common. The rear diff cover wouldn't leak under pressure, but possibly due to not being torqued adequately or the appropriate amount of sealant wasn't used during assembly at the factory.

Some of the others may have had this symptom (I haven't) and could indicate where the diff vent is located - I'd have to get under my car a look for it - at this point I haven't had the need to do so...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by sunman
IS the diff wet or is it actually leaking on the floor?

It doesnt seem to be leaking enough to hit the floor yet but I have cleaned it and it shows up again all wet. It is only showing moisture and MAYBE a very slight drop forming at the very bottom but it is small.

It is only wet from the diff seal and not from the sides of the diff or the front pinion seal. I have attached a picture since its better than me describing it.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Differential leak fix: HOW TO???-dsc01056.jpg  

Last edited by gregory13lil; 03-01-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:47 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab; 2008 GL550
Judging from the picture, I think you need to replace the cover seal.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Yeah thats what I though.

Does anyone know of a how-to so that i can avoid paying way too much. I am mechanically inclined and always do my own work but this job doesnt have a logical sense of what to take of first and so on...

HELP!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Yeah, it definitely looks like you have a leak from the differential cover seal. Should be an easier fix than the half shaft seals that go into the side of the diff. I've never done this job before on a Benz but I don't see why it would be much different than doing any other rear end. Be sure to get the right torque specs. Also, might see if it would be an easier job by dropping down the rear diff by disconnecting the mount so it makes for easier access to the bolts. Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Did anyone every find a diy instruction for rear differential cover seal replacement? Mines out too...