W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a wheel alignment really take 3.5 hours?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Does a wheel alignment really take 3.5 hours?

How long should a wheel alignment take please? I am about to have 4 new tyres fitted & have been quoted 3.5 hours just for the wheel alignment by a MB dealer

I realise the importance of good wheel alignment, particularly at high speed, however, does it really take that long to do?

I've had laser alignments done in the past elsewhere, for all 4 wheels on a M5 & I'm sure it took them half an hour.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
no.

but in any event, your dealer is not charging you by the hour for an alignment, are they?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by ProV1
no.

but in any event, your dealer is not charging you by the hour for an alignment, are they?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the dealer was going to charge by the hour (3.5 hours!) for the wheel alignment!

Just had the wheel alignment done by my local tyre fitting company. They did a laser wheel alignment on all 4 wheels for £30. They did it in 20 minutes.

Memo to self : Do not use MB dealer for tyres etc.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
I realise the importance of good wheel alignment, particularly at high speed,
not just high speeds, but also to obtain even wear on the tires, esp the fronts/inner portion of tire.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
yes it does take that long because they make little adjustments, test, adjustments, measure etc.
every time i took mine in they always took about 4 hrs total.
they don't charge by the hour on alignment though. $120 for the whole job.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Originally Posted by Eurosport
yes it does take that long because they make little adjustments, test, adjustments, measure etc.
every time i took mine in they always took about 4 hrs total.
they don't charge by the hour on alignment though. $120 for the whole job.
They charge by the hour here

I must say it doesn't feel 100% right. I might end up getting it done properly by MB after all! Mind you I'm still waiting for my 2 front tyres to be delivered, so that might be the problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E55 Estate Fan
They charge by the hour here

I must say it doesn't feel 100% right. I might end up getting it done properly by MB after all! Mind you I'm still waiting for my 2 front tyres to be delivered, so that might be the problem.
You are all being ripped right off , Tracking on any car does not change , only if there is chassis/suspension damage through an accident or Kerbing , the thing to check is the rear control arm bushes on these cars , these wear and cause rear end steering on and of the throttle, simple to replace and not expensive to buy . All these tyre centers want to check your tracking and say it wants adjustment , have them adjust it and go to another and they will most likely want to do the same . i have been in the game a long time . If your geometry is out 99% of the time its bushing wear , adjustment is not the answer . PS if you know your car and its not been in an accident or kerbed heavily , check bushing not adjustment . PS I have had a e300 TD estate for 4 and a half years , once it is right it should stay right . Dont let them have your money ! !
The following users liked this post:
RKP Waco (10-31-2022)
Old 07-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
Originally Posted by humbley
You are all being ripped right off , Tracking on any car does not change , only if there is chassis/suspension damage through an accident or Kerbing , the thing to check is the rear control arm bushes on these cars , these wear and cause rear end steering on and of the throttle, simple to replace and not expensive to buy . All these tyre centers want to check your tracking and say it wants adjustment , have them adjust it and go to another and they will most likely want to do the same . i have been in the game a long time . If your geometry is out 99% of the time its bushing wear , adjustment is not the answer . PS if you know your car and its not been in an accident or kerbed heavily , check bushing not adjustment . PS I have had a e300 TD estate for 4 and a half years , once it is right it should stay right . Dont let them have your money ! !
also whenever there's suspension change, swap springs/shocks or even pads, i'd do an allignment right away after it settles in
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Update: now I've had all 4 tyres replaced & a laser alignment done for £30, the steering feels perfect
Old 07-28-2022, 10:14 PM

BMW
Did you notice a shift in how your car handles? You could probably use a wheel alignment. Before you clear your Saturday, you probably wonder, “how long does a tire alignment take?Don’t worry since a good mechanic can do it in one hour.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
After 100,000 miles or so the bushings and ball joints will begin to show signs of wear and will greatly affect your alignment. The car will align on a rack under static conditions except under dynamic road conditions the front and possibly the rear suspension settings are flopping around very widely. You may wish to invest in a refresh of the front suspension and possibly the rear. Be advised that the right rear tire will always wear on the inside first. This is because without a limited slip differential the right rear tire will spin first and that will wear the right rear tire first. My solution is to swap the right rear and left rear tires side to side every 4 to 5,000 miles. Welcome to the joys of earning a Mercedes!

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-09-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C300
Question

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
After 100,000 miles or so the bushings and ball joints will begin to show signs of wear and will greatly affect your alignment. The car will align on a rack under static conditions except under dynamic road conditions the front and possibly the rear suspension settings are flopping around very widely. You may wish to invest in a refresh of the front suspension and possibly the rear. Be advised that the right rear tire will always wear on the inside first. This is because without a limited slip differential the right rear tire will spin first and that will wear the right rear tire first. My solution is to swap the right rear and left rear tires side to side every 4 to 5,000 miles. Welcome to the joys of earning a Mercedes!
Hi @bbirdwell , I'm having a similar issue as the owner of a 2017 W205 C300 with about 54,000 miles. I got this car CPO with 42k miles and the dealer put a new set of MOE Continental RF 18" tires.

After 12k miles, I am seeing more wear on the right rear tire when compared to the left rear.

I had my Mercedes indy check the suspension on all four corners and he said they are in excellent condition. I have an appointment to get a 4 wheel alignment soon, but I suspect that my alignment is OK. Last time I did an alignment was about a year ago at the dealer and I drive very carefully.

Any thoughts on my situation?

I posted the pictures here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...12k-miles.html

Old 08-31-2022, 12:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
Right rear will usually wear faster than the left. In an open differential car it is where the power is going most of the time and therefore wears that tire more quickly. Unless one rotates the tires, which E55 cannot as they are a staggered arrangement, one will get the wear on that side. If it is wearing evenly over the surface of the tire, it is probably not an alignment issue.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C300
Question

Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
Right rear will usually wear faster than the left. In an open differential car it is where the power is going most of the time and therefore wears that tire more quickly. Unless one rotates the tires, which E55 cannot as they are a staggered arrangement, one will get the wear on that side. If it is wearing evenly over the surface of the tire, it is probably not an alignment issue.
How much more wear should the rear right tire have under normal conditions (assuming good alignment and suspension componens)? 2/32"?

Also, I was thinking about rotating the rear tires left to right, but I've never seen it recommended. So it is interesting to see that recommendation on this thread.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DYC300
How much more wear should the rear right tire have under normal conditions (assuming good alignment and suspension componens)? 2/32"?

Also, I was thinking about rotating the rear tires left to right, but I've never seen it recommended. So it is interesting to see that recommendation on this thread.
Over the first three sets of Continental tires, I consistently averaged 30K miles rear and 34K front. On the fourth set, swapping the rear tires side to side, I obtained an additional 2,000 miles out of the rear tires. (Yes, the rear and front replacements went out of sequence.)
Your circus, your monkeys. At approximately $440 for two rear tires, it is worth it for me to sacrifice 15-20 minutes every few months...
Old 09-04-2022, 10:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
High cambered roads also significant cause of premature inner edge wear and early replacement of right hand tires.
TODAY'S AUTOS BECAUSE OF COST CUTTING & EVER INCREASING SPEED OF AUTO ASSEMBLY LINES THERE IS NO LONGER ADJUSTMENT OF CAMBER & CASTER.

The often quoted reassuring "Full Front & Rear '4' Wheel Alignment" in fact reality is it is only Toe (directional) adjustment.

No essential / critical Camber or Caster allowing to adjust tire contact angles / spread load more evenly.

Catering for other then showroom height conditions - along with high cambered roads, altered height through load carrying or lowering leading to frustration of owners going from one dealer or align shop to the next.

Realising that Camber angle cannot be adjusted then going down the path of constantly changing tire brands looking as a solution for longer lasting tire compounds!

With KMAC FIT IT RIGHT THE 1st. TIME.

W210
Front Camber #502116-1G $345 Less then cost of 1 hi-performance tire.
Camber & Caster #502116K $480

W210 (4 MATIC)
Front Camber #502416-1G $345
Camber & Caster #502416K $480

REAR (ALL Models)
Camber (& extra Toe) #502026H $320

Delivery Worldwide $40 one kit $60 F/R

AUDI to VOLVO - KMAC Experience Of Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings Since 1964!
Old 10-28-2022, 10:25 PM

S550e
Hi All,
My S550e has a lot of wear on the inside of the rear wheels. Could this be due to the weight on the back of the car due to the hybrid battery? Or is it just an alignment issue?
Old 10-29-2022, 03:30 AM
SPONSOR

Received 144 Likes on 114 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Sordi
Hi All,
My S550e has a lot of wear on the inside of the rear wheels. Could this be due to the weight on the back of the car due to the hybrid battery? Or is it just an alignment issue?
OEM there is only front and rear Toe (directional) adjustment !

That's right - no essential Camber adjustment allowing to “adjust tire contact angles”, spread load more evenly.

All to do with cost cutting and ever increasing speed of assembly lines.

(New car industry's best kept secret).

To the frustration of owners having to now prematurely purchase of replacement tires.

WE SAW THE NEED TO THEREFORE REINSTATE ONCE AGAIN ADJUSTMENT FOR OTHER THEN SHOWROOM HEIGHT CONDITIONS. Day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads with excess passenger side edge wear. Along with altered height / wheel squat through load carrying or lowering. Or just having ongoing adjustment capability for curb knock damage.

REAR KIT for all W210 #502026H $320 (Camber and extra Toe adjustment).

FRONT KIT #502116K $480 (Camber and Caster)
................. #502116-1i $345
(Camber Only)

Plus W210 4MATIC
Front #502416L $480 (Camber and Caster)
...................................#502216-1i $345
(Camber Only)

Both Front & Rear kits can be fitted without arm removal (bush extraction tools included).

Unique patented design allows precise single wrench adjustment (accurately - direct on alignment rack under load).

AUDI to VOLVO - KMAC Experience Of Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings Since 1964

Last edited by K-Mac; 11-01-2022 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by K-Mac:
gring (11-02-2022), Sordi (10-29-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 E300
Take your car to Firestone and get the lifetime alignment, it costs around $180.

It’s funny that I just got this email this morning and I’m at Firestone getting an alignment recheck.
Yesterday, I replaced the front lower control arm bushings, so I want to make sure the alignment is still good. Every time I change a suspension part, I get an alignment for free. Especially if you want to lower it, the alignment will need to be adjusted.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
gring (11-02-2022)