GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Consumer reports

Old 01-27-2008, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Consumer reports

I just picked up a copy of the Lastest consumer reports and it gave the GL the worst in reliability, resale value and initial reliabilty when new. I also looked up all the other mercedes models and they were also worst category or below average. What gives?

Maybe the GL in 2007 when first released had problems but they also gave the 5+ year old SL worst in predicted reliability and that has been around for a while.

What do you guys think?

This is my first mercedes coming from BMW and Lexus. BMW totally sucks in the reliability department and no way would I ever own one off of warranty. One of my patients is the service manager for local BMW dealership and told me straight out in my treating room that BMW are only good for leases never buy one. I hope Mercedes is not like this.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by TV550
I just picked up a copy of the Lastest consumer reports and it gave the GL the worst in reliability, resale value and initial reliabilty when new. I also looked up all the other mercedes models and they were also worst category or below average. What gives?

Maybe the GL in 2007 when first released had problems but they also gave the 5+ year old SL worst in predicted reliability and that has been around for a while.

What do you guys think?

This is my first mercedes coming from BMW and Lexus. BMW totally sucks in the reliability department and no way would I ever own one off of warranty. One of my patients is the service manager for local BMW dealership and told me straight out in my treating room that BMW are only good for leases never buy one. I hope Mercedes is not like this.

They are statistically correct: companies like toyota (for instance) that make mid-level cars for lots of people can make them overall more reliable. Now kep in mind that the difference between what consumer reports considers a reliable and an unreliable vehicle is very small nowadays. (e.g. a car that was unreliable in the early 80's might have 50 defects. now the difference between the cars at the top and bottom of the CR list might be 2 and 7 defects so its still very small).

Of course none of these thing should be the reason why you by a mercedes. You buy it becuse you like the vehicle. but if you think a benz has poor reliability and resale value, try owning a british car
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels

What do you guys think?

Consumer Reports can shove it for all i care about, I have had about 6 or more Mercedes in the last 4 years and I can vouch for their reliability. I have had 4 E's, a GL, a CLS, 3 S's, and my CL now. All work as designed and only get regular service and maintenance.

Don't read the crap that CR publishes since its reported by dumbasses who were too lazy to read the freaking manual and cry like babies when its their own damn fault they dont know how to operate things.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
So far.........The GL 450 has been the MOST reliable, smoothest running, problem free SUV I have ever owned and I have owned many. I have had zero problems.......none! The only other vehicle that I can say that about in my 40 some years of auto ownership is my 2006 Toyota Prius. I think I have the best of both ends of the spectrum!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
No Problems

Consumer Reports and JD Powers...

2003 E320: No problems
2006 S430: No Problems
2007 S550: No Problems
2008 GL550: No Problems

This is not to say some owners will not have a specific problem but on the whole the MB is a very reliable and SAFE vehicle. Nit picking gripes do not effect the reliability but CR and JDP consider them as such.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Don't read the crap that CR publishes since its reported by dumbasses who were too lazy to read the freaking manual and cry like babies when its their own damn fault they dont know how to operate things.
Ahem ... so you're saying that when they report repairs that need to be done by the dealerships, recalls, etc. - those are written by dumbasses who were too lazy to read the freaking manual? I think it's a lot easer to man-up and realize that a $60,000+ German engineered vehicle shouldn't be doing things like blowing off hoses and having crankshaft sensors blow up, making the vehicle undriveable. Mercedes has had a low reliability rating for quite a while and is trying to dig their way out of it. Don't blame the messenger.

Understand, this is from someone who does read CR, who uses CR, and who still bought a GL. And who has lived through a couple of experiences that really should not be happening to someone buying an expensive, luxury brand, supposedly well engineered car. And I still don't care, I still love the vehicle.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Ahem ... so you're saying that when they report repairs that need to be done by the dealerships, recalls, etc. - those are written by dumbasses who were too lazy to read the freaking manual? I think it's a lot easer to man-up and realize that a $60,000+ German engineered vehicle shouldn't be doing things like blowing off hoses and having crankshaft sensors blow up, making the vehicle undriveable. Mercedes has had a low reliability rating for quite a while and is trying to dig their way out of it. Don't blame the messenger.

Understand, this is from someone who does read CR, who uses CR, and who still bought a GL. And who has lived through a couple of experiences that really should not be happening to someone buying an expensive, luxury brand, supposedly well engineered car. And I still don't care, I still love the vehicle.
Well stated Steve and I would agree with your premise that major mechanical failures should not happen in these automobiles. I cancelled my order because of the hose problem!

However....I would like to see some "independent" outfit evaluate (not investigate) organizations like CR and JDP and see what their "reliability" rating is. They are nothing more than exit poll collectors and we have all seen their "reliability" factor in the past several weeks. CR and JDP interpretations are based on their criteria and scoring system, and sometimes bias. JDP is purely a money making scheme but well done and well marketed.

I depend on my own analysis of a product and make my buying decisions
based on mine own criteria. I do not depend on a bunch of experts on toasters and/or V8 engines depending on the assignment of the day. I have seen CR reps and JDP reps interviewed on their results for a specific product and they are far from experts and could almost be consider amateurs.

I feel better now...:-)

YMMV
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
Given we are only a small vocal sample of GL owners and hearing the problems (big and small) on this forum, I would say the GL can't be that reliable. I have firsthand experienced the continual electrical problems with a 98 E320 before ultimately switching to a Lexus GS with no problems at all. XJ9 mentions above that Toyota products are more relaible becuase they make more vehicles? That just doesn't make sense. Why can't the argument be made we spend so much for our vehicles, reliability should be expected? I almost feel like I'm counting down to the day I'll be selling my GL. I don't doubt CR is correct with their assessment. As mentioned on another thread about Lexus, I think it's us MB owners that are sold on the marketing of the brand. I did.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SteveY
Given we are only a small vocal sample of GL owners and hearing the problems (big and small) on this forum, I would say the GL can't be that reliable. I have firsthand experienced the continual electrical problems with a 98 E320 before ultimately switching to a Lexus GS with no problems at all. XJ9 mentions above that Toyota products are more relaible becuase they make more vehicles? That just doesn't make sense. Why can't the argument be made we spend so much for our vehicles, reliability should be expected? I almost feel like I'm counting down to the day I'll be selling my GL. I don't doubt CR is correct with their assessment. As mentioned on another thread about Lexus, I think it's us MB owners that are sold on the marketing of the brand. I did.
From what I read Toyota has many serious problems and a recent recall of a great many vehicles. Toyota's "cover-up" philosophy by management of recalls and quality failures have been well documented.

I also had a '98 E320 Wagon Steve and no problems whatsoever. I can go back 30 years of MB's models I have owned and give you the same response...no problems. I guess MB takes good care of me and ensures my order is perfect because I support the brand...:-)

As we all know it is the problems that get the attention. Those with a problem are upset (as well they might be) but they are also the ones who become the most vocal. The other guys pasture always looks greener and that will be true to eternity and why some will change brands and others (like me) will not.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 PM

2001 CLK55
I drive a CLK55 and have been look for an SUV for my family..

My take is that my CLK55 HAS been reliable - BUT it's been in the shop for windows that get stuck, seat that does not reposition, Bose issues, CD issues, tranny that lost a plug and leaked, etc. None of these items stranded me by the roadside - but my Mom's Lexus would not have had any of the issues either..

Now - as far as RESALE goes.. I paid about $70k + change for my CLK in 2001. I am the original owner. If I can get $20k for it today (w/ 32k miles) I will be VERY LUCKY. Take a peak at the KBB on your car and be ready to be shocked. THIS issue will make me think twice before buying another highend MB.

IMHO

What do you guys think?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
From what I read Toyota has many serious problems and a recent recall of a great many vehicles. Toyota's "cover-up" philosophy by management of recalls and quality failures have been well documented.

I also had a '98 E320 Wagon Steve and no problems whatsoever. I can go back 30 years of MB's models I have owned and give you the same response...no problems. I guess MB takes good care of me and ensures my order is perfect because I support the brand...:-)

As we all know it is the problems that get the attention. Those with a problem are upset (as well they might be) but they are also the ones who become the most vocal. The other guys pasture always looks greener and that will be true to eternity and why some will change brands and others (like me) will not.
My brother owned 2 Lexus LS 400 (first and second generations) and had no problem whatsoever. It was also good to drive.

Their legendary reliability is at least partly due to their treatment of buyers. Once after my brother had an oil change in the dealership he was told that they had both brake rotars replaced for him - free - under warranty. This saved him another trip to the dealership. No complaining. No bickering needed. Just good service and manners. The customer is always right and royalty.

MB used to have this "buy the car the way we think you should like it" attitude until its market gets nibbled away in the 1990s.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

E55
your right about toyota

CR just stated recently that the new batch of camrys and tundras have below average reliability and will not be recommended anymore without more data so it looks like Toyota is having problems also. I am not trying to be a jerk but it seems like ever since the high end cars were being made in America the quality has dropped for the auto makers.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by blittle
So far.........The GL 450 has been the MOST reliable, smoothest running, problem free SUV I have ever owned and I have owned many. I have had zero problems.......none! The only other vehicle that I can say that about in my 40 some years of auto ownership is my 2006 Toyota Prius. I think I have the best of both ends of the spectrum!
I've had a different experience...the GL has been the LEAST reliable of the cars I recently owned.

Nissan Pathfinder, seat issues, never resolved, 2 years ownership
Toyota Landcruiser, no issues, 3 years owned
Lexus GS430, no issues, 1 year owned
Honda Odyssey, no issues, 1 year owned
GL550, 4 issues, 3 months owned

I love the GL and any negative feelings about the car because of the issues have everything to do with my local dealer and not the truck itself. But I have to be honest: this is an awfully short time to have stuff breaking.

Here's the text from a PM I sent to someone asking about my ownership experience:

Do I still like the truck? Hmmm. I LOVE the styling...interior and exterior. I love the ride and the handling. I love that you get in a Mercedes and it just feels different than any other car. There is definitely something special about it.

This is a "driver's car" though. By that I mean they don't put a lot of thought into little things like: console storage, ipod integration, even the NAV system is less sophisticated than cars I owned 5 years ago. The rear entertainment sys is wired! Kids get tangled in wires! The rear ent DVD access is in a totally stupid place under the rear seat. The car is built to look good and drive good.

I don't think you can get an SUV that DRIVES better. But there are plenty than do other things quite a bit better.

I don't know if I'd buy another MB--mainly because of my local dealer experience. I have 5,000 miles on the truck and I have had a few issues already. The mirrors stopped folding out (lubrication fixed that), the truck died once (only once so far) at a stop sign way out in the boonies, it was leaking water into the interior, and one of the rear door handles broke. I am also hearing creaking from the rear shocks (?) that I haven't had investigated yet. Considering I've only had the truck 3 months that is quite a bit. More issues than I have had in years of ownership of other vehicles.

The issues would be more acceptable to me if I had a decent local dealer. A dealer who gave me a loaner car, fixed the problem the first time and treated me and my car with respect. But I don't. I have a lame dealer who can't seem to fix anything the first time forcing me to bring the truck in again and again, left lubricant streaked down the side of the truck and put water spots all over my black car that I will have to have a private detailer remove.

The other dealer closest to me is 100 miles away in Sacramento. I drove to Sac for service on my Lexus GS430 but I also didn't have 1 issue a month, you know?

I seriously considered a LX570 or the new Toyota LC. I drove a LC for 3 years and I loved, loved, loved that truck! No problems, very nice, roomy, LOVED it. Lacking in style and amenities (the LC anyway) I decided to go for something different. I also considered the Range Rover.

The sad part is I eventually eliminated the Range Rover and the Lexus because I didn't want to drive to Sac anymore for service. And here I am doing exactly that in the GL!

So, as things stand right now, I don't know that I would buy another GL...but that is not because of the the truck itself, but of the dealer experience…because with this truck I seem to need to be there a lot!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
As we all know it is the problems that get the attention. Those with a problem are upset (as well they might be) but they are also the ones who become the most vocal. The other guys pasture always looks greener
Agreed NJ.

I do hope to have your success with my new MB. No problems yet with my GL. I chose the GL last year because I believed it was the best SUV in the market. Reliable or not, I obviously still chose the vehicle...for styling, power and comfort. (Well, maybe not mental comfort.)
Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
It can totally be a function of dealership experience...i've had both hoses go, one time totally stranding me...my dealership reacted efficiently, quickly and with total respect for my car and me, providing a loaner and delivering the car to me an hour away...
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 PM

GL550

I read that Toyota recalled more cars in the last year than it sold. Also speaking about Consumer Reports several Lexus and Toyota models were taken off it's recommended list.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
a $60,000+ German engineered vehicle shouldn't be doing things like blowing off hoses and having crankshaft sensors blow up, making the vehicle undriveable.
Who cares when it's under warranty?

My hose didn't blow off and I had it replaced at my convenience.

I've had no problem with CPS and will likewise have it replaced at my convenience.

I'd sure as heck rather hang around a Mercedes dealer than a Toyota dealer.

In my way of looking at things, I've had ZERO reliability problems.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 PM

2001 CLK55
I might point out that this is great thinking!

Of course - your thinking might be a bit different HAD your hose blown off and you were driving to Vegas at the time..

Originally Posted by lkchris

I've had no problem with CPS and will likewise have it replaced at my convenience.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by lkchris

What mileage is on your E? Mine has roughly 16,000 miles and had two jobs done under warranty:

1) diesel leaking from intake manifold O ring.
2) ATF leaking from the sealed for life transmission.

An independant mechanic told me to expect some leakage from diesel engines due to the high compression. What is your opinion?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I've had a different experience...the GL has been the LEAST reliable of the cars I recently owned...I love the GL and any negative feelings about the car because of the issues have everything to do with my local dealer and not the truck itself... I LOVE the styling...interior and exterior. I love the ride and the handling. I love that you get in a Mercedes and it just feels different than any other car. There is definitely something special about it...This iss a "driver's car" though. By that I mean they don't put a lot of thought into little things like: console storage, ipod integration, even the NAV system is less sophisticated than cars I owned 5 years ago. The rear entertainment sys is wired! Kids get tangled in wires! The rear ent DVD access is in a totally stupid place under the rear seat. The car is built to look good and drive good...I don't think you can get an SUV that DRIVES better. But there are plenty that do other things quite a bit better...The issues would be more acceptable to me if I had a decent local dealer...So as things stand right now, I don't know that I would buy another GL...but that is not because of the the truck itself, but of the dealer experience…because with this truck I seem to need to be there a lot!
This is an especially insightful set of observations because it sums up everything that's been said here all at once.

The GL is new design. There are bound to be problems with it that have to be ironed out. No doubt the reliability has not been as good as MB hoped for. The problems with the car have been thoroughly discussed here and elsewhere.

I maintain that there really isn't another SUV that does what the GL does. It is unique in that it is fun to drive, offers great safety, and has some innovative features. The main problem with the GL is the execution of the design. It is not as well built as it is designed. This is not unusual for most manufacturers, MB certainly among them.

So LKChris is exactly right when he asks "who cares?" when the truck is under warranty. You've got 50K miles to get everything ironed out at the dealer. BTW, my dealer has been spectacularly good to me.

Here is the issue raised by Chicky: the problem is that the dealer is not doing his job. That's stunning. Here's a truck costing over $75K with a service department that is so bad that the owner's driving experience is being ruined. Yes, the truck has problems (so has mine), but the dealer's job is to fix them. The job of the service department is to please and curry favor with the owners to promote repeat sales. Sadly, this appears not to be the case for many people.

When we draw conclusions about the GL and its reliabilty, we would do well to remember that three factors are involved: the design, the build of the design in Vance, and the ability/willingness of the dealer to fix the occasional problem.

The majority writing opinions here seems to be happy with the way the vehicle performs when it works properly. So the problem does not appear to me to be anything more than dealers that don't do their jobs.

I am sorry to hear of folks having second thoughts about their GLs. I love mine for many reasons, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. In my case, the dealer has been an asset rather than the liability cited by so many others.

Last edited by oinick; 01-27-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 PM

E55
I agree

Originally Posted by oinick
This is an especially insightful set of observations because it sums up everything that's been said here all at once.

The GL is new design. There are bound to be problems with it that have to be ironed out. No doubt the reliability has not been as good as MB hoped for. The problems with the car have been thoroughly discussed here and elsewhere.

I maintain that there really isn't another SUV that does what the GL does. It is unique in that it is fun to drive, offers great safety, and has some innovative features. The main problem with the GL is the execution of the design. It is not as well built as it is designed. This is not unusual for most manufacturers, MB certainly among them.

So LKChris is exactly right when he asks "who cares?" when the truck is under warranty. You've got 50K miles to get everything ironed out at the dealer. BTW, my dealer has been spectacularly good to me.

Here is the issue raised by Chicky: the problem is that the dealer is not doing his job. That's stunning. Here's a truck costing over $75K with a service department that is so bad that the owner's driving experience is being ruined. Yes, the truck has problems (so has mine), but the dealer's job is to fix them. The job of the service department is to please and curry favor with the owners to promote repeat sales. Sadly, this appears not to be the case for many people.

When we draw conclusions about the GL and its reliabilty, we would do well to remember that three factors are involved: the design, the build of the design in Vance, and the ability/willingness of the dealer to fix the occasional problem.

The majority writing opinions here seems to be happy with the way the vehicle performs when it works properly. So the problem does not appear to me to be anything more than dealers that don't do their jobs.

I am sorry to hear of folks having second thoughts about their GLs. I love mine for many reasons, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. In my case, the dealer has been an asset rather than the liability cited by so many others.
Having a good network of dealerships can make or break car companies. I know thats why Lexus focuses on the ownership experience and treat you really good at the dealerships. No car is perfect but if you have a good dealership that treats you well and fixes the car right the first time you will love the vehicle and the ownership experience.

I dont think anyone here regrets buyig the GL just that the problems were not addressed properly by the dealerships in their home town. The GL did win Motor Trends car of the year award the first year it came out so its gotta be pretty good.

I am currently in the market for the full size SUV with a budget of 90k and after driving all the contenders including the LX570 I am going to either get the 320 or the 550. Nothing comes close to the ride and handling of the GL and style with luxury that it has. Electronics is not that great when compared to the others but overall its a better package. If I could only get the 420 with Lexus control stack it would be perfect.

Last edited by TV550; 01-27-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Will I buy a GL again? Absolutely. Actually, I think I am hooked on MB brand now based on my GL experience.

I have had some issues but nothing that the dealer and MB haven't been able to resolve. I did have to be put my foot down some times at the dealership but they always pulled through. So, IMO, while GL is a great car, some MB dealers leave a lot to be desired.

As far as resale value is considered, one should head over to eBay and tell me GL doesn't have resale value.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Having a good network of dealerships can make or break car companies. I know thats why Lexus focuses on the ownership experience and treat you really good at the dealerships. No car is perfect but if you have a good dealership that treats you well and fixes the car right the first time you will love the vehicle and the ownership experience.
Couldn't have said it better.

I dont think anyone here regrets buyig the GL just that the problems were not addressed properly by the dealerships in their home town. The GL did win Motor Trends car of the year award the first year it came out so its gotta be pretty good.
When we were shopping, we didn't know that GL was the MT's Truck of the Year. Rather, it was clear to us that GL met our needs and met them with style, great handling and at a decent price.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
If I could only get the 420 with Lexus control stack it would be perfect.
ScottyB?

STP?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by Chicky Monkey
I've had a different experience...the GL has been the LEAST reliable of the cars I recently owned.

Nissan Pathfinder, seat issues, never resolved, 2 years ownership
Toyota Landcruiser, no issues, 3 years owned
Lexus GS430, no issues, 1 year owned
Honda Odyssey, no issues, 1 year owned
GL550, 4 issues, 3 months owned

I love the GL and any negative feelings about the car because of the issues have everything to do with my local dealer and not the truck itself. But I have to be honest: this is an awfully short time to have stuff breaking.

"Here's the text from a PM I sent to someone asking about my ownership experience:

Do I still like the truck? Hmmm. I LOVE the styling...interior and exterior. I love the ride and the handling. I love that you get in a Mercedes and it just feels different than any other car. There is definitely something special about it.

This is a "driver's car" though. By that I mean they don't put a lot of thought into little things like: console storage, ipod integration, even the NAV system is less sophisticated than cars I owned 5 years ago. The rear entertainment sys is wired! Kids get tangled in wires! The rear ent DVD access is in a totally stupid place under the rear seat. The car is built to look good and drive good.

I don't think you can get an SUV that DRIVES better. But there are plenty than do other things quite a bit better.

I don't know if I'd buy another MB--mainly because of my local dealer experience. I have 5,000 miles on the truck and I have had a few issues already. The mirrors stopped folding out (lubrication fixed that), the truck died once (only once so far) at a stop sign way out in the boonies, it was leaking water into the interior, and one of the rear door handles broke. I am also hearing creaking from the rear shocks (?) that I haven't had investigated yet. Considering I've only had the truck 3 months that is quite a bit. More issues than I have had in years of ownership of other vehicles.

The issues would be more acceptable to me if I had a decent local dealer. A dealer who gave me a loaner car, fixed the problem the first time and treated me and my car with respect. But I don't. I have a lame dealer who can't seem to fix anything the first time forcing me to bring the truck in again and again, left lubricant streaked down the side of the truck and put water spots all over my black car that I will have to have a private detailer remove.

The other dealer closest to me is 100 miles away in Sacramento. I drove to Sac for service on my Lexus GS430 but I also didn't have 1 issue a month, you know?

I seriously considered a LX570 or the new Toyota LC. I drove a LC for 3 years and I loved, loved, loved that truck! No problems, very nice, roomy, LOVED it. Lacking in style and amenities (the LC anyway) I decided to go for something different. I also considered the Range Rover.

The sad part is I eventually eliminated the Range Rover and the Lexus because I didn't want to drive to Sac anymore for service. And here I am doing exactly that in the GL!

So, as things stand right now, I don't know that I would buy another GL...but that is not because of the the truck itself, but of the dealer experience…because with this truck I seem to need to be there a lot!
"lubricant streaked down the side of the truck and put water spots all over my black car that I will have to have a private detailer remove."

mark me down for that same problem. my right side mirror (not the housing) would shake and have a hard time turning down as i have the reverse tilt feature.

dealer lub'd it up and i had the same problem of the lubricant streaking down the side from the first storm we had in norcal.

i tried washing it off, but it wouldn't come off. and upon closer inspection, the tech working on the car managed to scratch up body panels near the windows.

i'm kinda upset that who ever at mercedes approved of the lubricant recall campaign didn't think of the type of grease they used and if it could come off easily if it got onto bodypanels.

btw, i too was going to pay a detailer to remove the grease but because of the damage i had the dealership take care of it.

oh and the detailers worked on the car and when they sent the car to me, it had the same hard to remove streaks coming back. they used their pressure washer and hosed down the housings and enough grease came rushing out that completely covered the front, rear and a bit of the rear quarter panel.

the detailing guys were not happy since they had to do everything over.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer reports