E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New Tires - Best Ever!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
New Tires - Best Ever!!!

I absolutely love my new tires!!! I suspect many of you get performance tires, but I think Grand Touring All Season tires may actually be the best tires available from any given manufacture. At the very least, they are versatile tires, that are good in most conditions and that have great ride characteristics.

When I purchase my 1995 E320 in 1997 with 16K miles, it still had the OEM Continental tires. I hated those tires. I thought the Continentals were noisy, uncomfortable, and they didn’t handle great either. I switched to Michelin MXV4 Energy. As I remember, I liked them OK in the 15” size. When I switched to the 16” x 7.5” wheels with 205/55/16 tires, I repurchased the Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus tires. They were quiet and comfortable going down the road and they handled OK in dry. The problem was that they absolutely stunk in the rain and they squealed around corners and even made squealing noises when turning around in parking lots. The next time I needed tires, I switched to Bridgestone Turanza LSH tires. They were much better in the rain and they did not ever squeal, but they were not quite as quiet and comfortable as the Michelins.

These new Michelin MXV4 Primacy tires are truly the best ever. They are more quiet and more comfortable than any tire I have ever had. They do not squeal at all, even during rather extreme cornering, and they feel like they are glued to the pavement. They even felt sticky when I just washed them with a soft brush. They also seem to be good in the rain. I run with 31 psi cold in all four tires.

As for looks, the sidewall seems very rounded. Especially compared to the Bridgestone Turanza tires, which seemed rather square. Anyway, I truly love my new tires.

Last edited by ksing44; 04-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
lol, tripple post??
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E
YA WE GET IT YOU LIKE YOUR ****ING TIRES!!!! LOL
Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
I've always thought Michelins were the best. Pricey, but the best. The look great, too!

Beautiful property, BTW. Looks like Washington.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Palm Springs, California, USA... But hopefully San Antonio, Texas in the near future.
1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Fisk Classic?

I actually got new tires recently too, their called "Fisk Classic" I was told they were a "sub-brand" of michelin, anyone heard of them? Btw those new tires look great! Fits and compliments the rim and car perfectly!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fisk classic. sub brand of michelin.

dude, you got hosed.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Never heard of them, but sounds like Fisk Classics really are a sub brand of Michelin.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...tch/index.html

"The Q45 was set up for a mixability test, with an old and prototype new version of a Fisk Classic--one of Michelin's commodity brands."

Those tires and wheels look great, Ksing.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
It's like how my Champiro Sports are a sub-brand of Michelin. They are, but they just aren't widely distributed here.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Palm Springs, California, USA... But hopefully San Antonio, Texas in the near future.
1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
phew

Ok cool, I thought they would be something NO ONES ever heard of... they ride nice and look good, problem is though, I got different rims, stock 190E rims. They fit fine but since the tire is a bit bigger and the 190E rim being wider it rubs now on big dips. But w/e I can deal, my old ones were the same thing but chome with big ol pancake center caps with gold mercedes stars on them, and the chome was peeling. Needless to say it looks much better. Also I need new struts so I imagine when I get them it will raise the car a bit too.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
car looks hot in that first pic
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
car looks hot in that first pic
I am trying to get some better shots, like I have seen from many of you guys. Certain angles definitely do play up the beautiful lines of our cars. I especially like the long slender look of our cars. So far I think I am getting it a a little better from the front, but I just can't seem to get a really good one from behind. I guess it doesn't help that my new exhaust is a a little crooked or that I have that hitch.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by shdoug
I've always thought Michelins were the best. Pricey, but the best. The look great, too!

Beautiful property, BTW. Looks like Washington.
I was lucky to get to build my little house behind my parents house in Chester County Pennsylvania.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ksing44
I am trying to get some better shots, like I have seen from many of you guys. Certain angles definitely do play up the beautiful lines of our cars. I especially like the long slender look of our cars. So far I think I am getting it a a little better from the front, but I just can't seem to get a really good one from behind. I guess it doesn't help that my new exhaust is a a little crooked or that I have that hitch.
1: Who are you and what have you done with KSing?
2: Hitch and exhaust are a photoshop away from being removed and replaced with AMG, respectively. See Zorro's chop thread, he can make your car look other worldly. (I'll for that treatment if I get a car looking worthy first)
3: Those wheels and that color are great. Your link to more pics leads to a password protected site- Zed recently sent me to photobucket.com which, like flickr, doesn't require login.
4: I take a fair amount of photos at work with a digital point and click Canon G9 set to auto- I generally overshoot a range of angles and decide what I like at the computer. Each picture is 24" wide / 12mp to start which leaves plenty of room for decisions later.

Last edited by RHW; 04-14-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by RHW
1: Who are you and what have you done with KSing?
Ken is in a locked in a closet. Actually, I think he was just misunderstood. No real offense was intended. He really isn't a bad guy. Like Obama, I guess Ken can sometimes use the wrong words to express himself.
Originally Posted by RHW
2: Hitch and exhaust are a photoshop away from being removed and replaced with AMG, respectively. See Zorro's chop thread, he can make your car look other worldly.
Zorro already made me a great signature pic, which I love. For the exhaust, my dream is to have nice custom stainless tips welded on. I could remove my hitch, but I still use it for bikes or snowboards, mostly for my teenage son. I also dream about having the filler piece for the front bumper to clean up the front of the car. I have just been cautious about spending money on the little cosmetic things, since I feel that I could wake up any day and have to spend a pretty big chunk of change on real repairs.
Originally Posted by RHW
3: Those wheels and that color are great. Your link to more pics leads to a password protected site- Zed recently sent me to photobucket.com which, like flickr, doesn't require login.
I do love the color of my car. It is dark enough to get that wow factor like a black car after being cleaned, but I think it has more to it since it has some color too. I used flickr for the photos in this post, but the link is to mercedesshop, where I thought everyone would likely be members already. Actually there are just a few pictures at the link and they are not even the best pictures. I may take your advice and update the link to go to a set of photos at flickr.
Originally Posted by RHW
4: I take a fair amount of photos at work with a digital point and click Canon G9 set to auto- I generally overshoot a range of angles and decide what I like at the computer. Each picture is 24" wide / 12mp to start which leaves plenty of room for decisions later.
I just have a simple Canon Powershot A620. I use iPhoto or PowerPoint to decrease the size or edit or whatever, although I recently added Photoshop Elements to my list of software. I just need much more practice with Photoshop to be able to really do anything worthwhile.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Keeping your car really says it all...since choices abound. You and I are in these cars very differently, as I see them per current values for $3300 to $6500 buy in price which makes me more willing to go deeper after that.

I should have recognized Zorro's work...you could say I've paid homage in my current shot. I agree with your comments about color, my champagne coupe + tan wagen are bland and probably my last choice in colors these cars came in.

As to the hitch...I have cupholders/bluetooth/phone/gps/ power cords solid mounted for comfort and convenience.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by RHW
Keeping your car really says it all...since choices abound. You and I are in these cars very differently, as I see them per current values for $3300 to $6500 buy in price which makes me more willing to go deeper after that.
I do love my car. I have always said that I think there is something special about maintaining and driving an older vehicle, especially a vehicle like our W124s. The day may come when I have to give up on my car, but it is not this day.
Originally Posted by RHW
I agree with your comments about color, my champagne coupe + tan wagen are bland and probably my last choice in colors these cars came in.
I also don’t typically gravitate to the tan cars, but at the same time sometimes a tan or parchment interior on champagne or smoke silver exterior can have an elegant tone on tone appeal. In addition, like silver cars, I guess a tan exterior makes it easier to keep a car looking clean. I do like the white W124s. I think the two-tone white with grey lower panels looks very good. In fact I think I could really love a white W124 if it had a black interior. I usually see grey or parchment.