E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Antenna replace help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 300E Blk/Tan
Antenna replace help

I have a '90 300E and plan to replace the antenna, which is totally dead and stuck in the up position. I could not go for the $200+ for the Hirschmann direct replacement. Instead, I bought a Hirschmann HIT AUTA 2040 replacement. Seems pretty straight forward to install with radio power up/down control, but not sure how the antenna up/down switch ties in.

Has anyone put one of these in their W124 before that can give me a heads up as to any wiring issues, etc. ?

Also, anyone have a wiring diagram for the antenna connection circuits on the W124 ?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Andy_M
I have a '90 300E and plan to replace the antenna, which is totally dead and stuck in the up position. I could not go for the $200+ for the Hirschmann direct replacement. Instead, I bought a Hirschmann HIT AUTA 2040 replacement. Seems pretty straight forward to install with radio power up/down control, but not sure how the antenna up/down switch ties in.

Has anyone put one of these in their W124 before that can give me a heads up as to any wiring issues, etc. ?

Also, anyone have a wiring diagram for the antenna connection circuits on the W124 ?
Does the motor still actuate. for instance when the radio is turned on and off can you hear the motor trying to move the antena or is it dead also. If the motor is still trying to go up and down you may be able to replace just the antena itself. That is easy and only takes a couple of minutes and could save you some cash.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
yeah, mine was stuck 'up' as well... pulled it apart and it looked like the circuit board was fried when some water got in it. I wound the antenna down manually and left enough sticking up so i have a home-made 'stubby' one now...!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM

'90 300E Blk/Tan
No, all appears to be dead. I hear no motor noise. Guy I bought the car from said it was working fine, then one day about a week prior, he noticed it didn't go down when he shut the car off. Been stuck fully extended ever since.

I have checked for blown fuses, switch in wrong position, etc..wanted the black chrome one anyway....

I just want to make sure the switch still will work, etc.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 PM

1993 300E
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
Does the motor still actuate. for instance when the radio is turned on and off can you hear the motor trying to move the antena or is it dead also. If the motor is still trying to go up and down you may be able to replace just the antena itself. That is easy and only takes a couple of minutes and could save you some cash.
I have the same problem. I can hear the motor but no action on the antena. The antena can be moved in and out very easily. What do I need to do to replace just the antena. I tried looking in the trunk for the location of the motor but it seems to be just inside the body panel and the fender well.

Apprecaite any assistance.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
mine works
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
BJ, if the motor is still working, you might only have to replace the plastic gear and the plastic strip that the motor uses to raise/lower the antenna. I had to do that on my 300ce because the antenna refused to go back up after it was lowered.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM

300SL
I realize this post is ancient but I just took mine apart and am dealing with a similar issue and found this post while looking for a schematic. It seems some half-wit stereo installer in Brooklyn took my antenna housing apart, removed the circuit board, and taped every wire inside but the power connections. Since there was no mast inside the antenna and a spare mast in original wrap in the trunk when i bought it, I guess that did not work. What ocured to me after taking it apart was to install the Hirschmann 2040 inside the factory power antenna housing and just connect the power leads and let the original factory circuit board control the replacement. This should insure that the dash switch also works. That was before I realized I did not have the original factory circuit board. I may try this as if the antenna which may still be in the 95 320E I just discovered at the local junkyard doesn't work.