C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

In dash navigation recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In dash navigation recommendations

I know there are some other threads on this subject but I wanted to get a broad perspective and feedback from all of you. I'm in the market for an in dash unit that is not necessarily flip, HDD based, 20-30gb storage, satellite compatible, codec friendly (divx, xvid, avi, aac and so on). I'm not interested in a DIY approach and somewhere in the price range from $1200-$1500. I see how some of you have the AVIC-D3 and I was wondering how the experience is.

Another issue is on the manufacturer end. Who do I choose? There's Kenwood, Pioneer and several others but what would be the best choice for a 2005 c230. There's the AVIC-Z2 which is $2200 on their site but cheaper on several searches. Would anyone buy something like this off ebay or can I safely go with something like shop.com? I await all of your responses and experiences with aftermarket navigation and I thank you all in advance.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM

Can anyone share their experiences or is it pretty much oem command units around these woods?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM

2006 C230
Avic

I have a Z2 and a Z1 and love them both.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I see that the Z1 is priced a little more than the Z2. What are the differences if the Z2 is it's successor? Can it play different codecs without physical media?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Looking for the same info for a 2002 CLK 55.

Also, what additional components are required other than buying the unit itself?

i.e. - Wiring Harness?, Mounting bracket? Steering Wheel control adapter? Do our speakers need to be re-wired due to the possibility of fibre optic wiring?

HELP PLEASE!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by chkdg8
I know there are some other threads on this subject but I wanted to get a broad perspective and feedback from all of you. I'm in the market for an in dash unit that is not necessarily flip, HDD based, 20-30gb storage, satellite compatible, codec friendly (divx, xvid, avi, aac and so on). I'm not interested in a DIY approach and somewhere in the price range from $1200-$1500. I see how some of you have the AVIC-D3 and I was wondering how the experience is.

Another issue is on the manufacturer end. Who do I choose? There's Kenwood, Pioneer and several others but what would be the best choice for a 2005 c230. There's the AVIC-Z2 which is $2200 on their site but cheaper on several searches. Would anyone buy something like this off ebay or can I safely go with something like shop.com? I await all of your responses and experiences with aftermarket navigation and I thank you all in advance.

I'm opting for the D3 - much better reviews that the Z series - better iPod integration, ability to color match with your instrument cluster, better price - I've seen it in a store for 499$ my installer quoted me 599.00. Take a look at the reviews outside of this forum - high level of satisfaction with the D3.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanks, what store.
Originally Posted by costerdock
.... I've seen it in a store for 499$ my installer quoted me 599.00.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Frys electronics
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 AM

2013 E350 Bluetec, 2008 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 VW Golf TDI, 2015 Audi S3, 2020 GLB250
Get a Pioneer unit. I have the AVIC-Z1 and it's excellent. Get a CA.R.PI.133 (for 2005+) or a CA.R.PI.131 (for 2004 and below) from incarexpress.uk, makes installation easy, and keep your steering wheel controls!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by newguy2008
Looking for the same info for a 2002 CLK 55.

Also, what additional components are required other than buying the unit itself?

i.e. - Wiring Harness?, Mounting bracket? Steering Wheel control adapter? Do our speakers need to be re-wired due to the possibility of fibre optic wiring?

HELP PLEASE!
unless you want to install it yourself, just go to one of the stereo shops they can do it for you. $750-800 installed can get you a nice unit around LA area.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I can't speak to in-dash nav systems, but if you're simply looking for a navigation solution, I'd skip the in-dash and go with a Garmin Nuvi. I have a Nuvi 350 (non widescreen) and it works great. Once I get a signal (usually less than 30 seconds) I set it in my ashtray and it works wonderfully - never loses reception, decent volume, easy to see. Plus, I can take it when I travel - something you can't do with an in-dash unit.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM

Looking at the Kenwood DNX5210 Double Din DVD/Nav. Anyone running this setup?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
I got a Kenwood but its newer? I guess its newer since its a DNX 7100. So far i think its fair.
Pro's:
Can play divx, and videos that are burned as data files which z2s cannot since my data file dvd of music vids doesnt work in my buddys z2.
cheaper than z2
Cons:
Menu / GUI (graphical user interface) is ok but can be much improved.
No track up/down button
Navigation very basic - not as fancy as the z2

You should probably visit a big box store or car audio store and play around with their different head units and see which one u like for the price.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 AM

Hi,

Who did the install for you? It's rare that I come across a fellow Torontonian!

Originally Posted by T.O_c240
I got a Kenwood but its newer? I guess its newer since its a DNX 7100. So far i think its fair.
Pro's:
Can play divx, and videos that are burned as data files which z2s cannot since my data file dvd of music vids doesnt work in my buddys z2.
cheaper than z2
Cons:
Menu / GUI (graphical user interface) is ok but can be much improved.
No track up/down button
Navigation very basic - not as fancy as the z2

You should probably visit a big box store or car audio store and play around with their different head units and see which one u like for the price.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Ohh boy. I've been wrestling with this for quite a while. I decided on the Pioneer D3 - product is end of life but fairly good at what it does:
Ipod, bluetooth, nav - I hear better ipod interface than z series. Price is nice too - you can find them for @499.USD. Many reviews available on it.

Is it perfect? Nope - bluetooth voice dial will not handle prompts from your phone - so you would need to disable it on your phone and hope you get the number right. Ipod is suppose to be fast - but fairly simple w/o search capabilities.

Kenwood DNX5210 - has better bluetooth (Parrot) and better nav (Garmend - sorry for spelling) - however it has problems - interface is overly complex many submenus - and I hear some issues with the bluetooth - example having to press the screen to complete a call. Ipod is suppose to be very nice but could hang your ipod... It is @400$ more than D3. Fewer reviews available - kenwood website doesn't have too much detail. Avic411.com great forum for pioneer AVIC nothing comparable for kenwood.

As you can see - there really is no best product just yet. In the end - I've decided on the new Pioneer F series 900 BHT - which is risky. It is being installed today - should be cool - has many known issues that should be resolved in some firmware updates. I chose it over the D3 because it is next generation D series and should hopefully have a long life with various software updates that I'm pretty sure will not be coming out for the D series. It is also a pretty cool unit (new bluetooth built in - parrot, new Ipod integration - voice command, MSN direct, better screen...next gen) - I hope I made the right choice.

I'll post some pictures when the install is complete under the thread 'Avic Installer in the bay area'.

Good luck - it is a hard choice to make.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by ffejalink
I can't speak to in-dash nav systems, but if you're simply looking for a navigation solution, I'd skip the in-dash and go with a Garmin Nuvi. I have a Nuvi 350 (non widescreen) and it works great. Once I get a signal (usually less than 30 seconds) I set it in my ashtray and it works wonderfully - never loses reception, decent volume, easy to see. Plus, I can take it when I travel - something you can't do with an in-dash unit.
If you're going to do that, I'd just recommend a phone with GPS, which is even more portable, and makes more sense. If I didn't already have an iphone (or AT&T were nice enough to reduce the price for an upgrade from a first gen), I'd give it serious thought. I've got a holder that puts it just to the right of the stereo, which makes it very convenient. I'm assuming that these new-gen phones will make all of these nav units obsolete in a couple of years, but I could be wrong - I guess that some will still want the huge screens of the double-dins.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C320 (For Sale), 08 Audi TT
Ohh boy. I've been wrestling with this for quite a while. I decided on the Pioneer D3 - product is end of life but fairly good at what it does:
Ipod, bluetooth, nav - I hear better ipod interface than z series. Price is nice too - you can find them for @499.USD. Many reviews available on it.

Is it perfect? Nope - bluetooth voice dial will not handle prompts from your phone - so you would need to disable it on your phone and hope you get the number right. Ipod is suppose to be fast - but fairly simple w/o search capabilities.

Kenwood DNX5210 - has better bluetooth (Parrot) and better nav (Garmend - sorry for spelling) - however it has problems - interface is overly complex many submenus - and I hear some issues with the bluetooth - example having to press the screen to complete a call. Ipod is suppose to be very nice but could hang your ipod... It is @400$ more than D3. Fewer reviews available - kenwood website doesn't have too much detail. Avic411.com great forum for pioneer AVIC nothing comparable for kenwood.

As you can see - there really is no best product just yet. In the end - I've decided on the new Pioneer F series 900 BHT - which is risky. It is being installed today - should be cool - has many known issues that should be resolved in some firmware updates. I chose it over the D3 because it is next generation D series and should hopefully have a long life with various software updates that I'm pretty sure will not be coming out for the D series. It is also a pretty cool unit (new bluetooth built in - parrot, new Ipod integration - voice command, MSN direct, better screen...next gen) - I hope I made the right choice.

I'll post some pictures when the install is complete under the thread 'Avic Installer in the bay area'.

Wow, so you opted for the F series! Nice choice. Post pics when you get it back!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Anyone know what type of NAV i can get for a 2002 c320? Im also looking to get my touch screen on..

Kris~
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300

I was interested in the F900 too till I saw several bad reviews on Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...144&tab=review
Old 07-04-2008, 03:16 AM

P.S.

How do you get the in-motion DVD to work - heard that the Kenwoods and Alpines are the easiest to do - i.e. ground a wire - any installers to confirm this?

Thanks.

Looking at the Kenwood DNX5120 Double Din DVD/Nav. Anyone running this setup?