W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody experience car revving and not moving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Anybody experience car revving and not moving?

I went to the track last friday and during a pass on the 2-3 shift the car kept bouncing off redline and felt as if the car was in neutral. I let off and limped it back into the pits. On occasion my car has trouble on the 2-3 shift and bounces off the rev limiter but i have never experienced something like this before. Has this happened to anyone or know why it happens? Here is a vid of the pass (Thanks to Jeff and Apple for the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8J0YjuGIT4
Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Yes, the tranny oil cooler can fail (it is a heat exchanger n the radiator) and mix coolant with trans fluid and the tranny can start shuddering and slipping into what feels like neutral. It could also be a less drastic issue with the valve body failing so it is not shifting the tranny properly or the torque converter, etc.

Is it under warranty?

BTW, My above guess assumes that the car is firmly locked into a forward gear and then all of a sudden appears to pop into neutral and hits the rev limiter. Typically the tranny will reengage as the speed drops or temps drop and act normal until it gets worse to the point were it no longer goes anywhere.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Or it can be something as innocuous as low or dirty transmission fluid. Check it out, hopefully that's what it is.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Thanks for the info.

No the car is not under warranty.

I did make a few passes after and ran the car a fe wtimes and it was fine. I'm hoping it was just a fluke. Considering upgrading valve bodies and torque converter but I may need clutch packs as well. Building the trans is $$$

It could also be trans fluid, it has 70k on the clock
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
...I did make a few passes after and ran the car a fe wtimes and it was fine...
um...so what did you run?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Thanks for the info.

No the car is not under warranty.

I did make a few passes after and ran the car a fe wtimes and it was fine. I'm hoping it was just a fluke. Considering upgrading valve bodies and torque converter but I may need clutch packs as well. Building the trans is $$$

Keep in mind this run was when it was warmer outside. Your runs further in the evening were when the temps were cooler Something to keep in mind.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by chiromikey
um...so what did you run?
Nothing good. An 11.6 @ 120.9 Couldn't get a good 60' on the 245 wide tires this time The car felt like it would shift before redline after the incident, i dunno man. Might just bite the bullet and get er done

Last edited by blackbenzz; 07-29-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Building the trans is $$$

Check the fluid level, or just go ahead and change it. I had similar problem with 1 of my other, older cars and changing the transmission fluid made it go away for good.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
I went to the track last friday and during a pass on the 2-3 shift the car kept bouncing off redline and felt as if the car was in neutral. I let off and limped it back into the pits. On occasion my car has trouble on the 2-3 shift and bounces off the rev limiter but i have never experienced something like this before. Has this happened to anyone or know why it happens? Here is a vid of the pass (Thanks to Jeff and Apple for the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8J0YjuGIT4
I agree with the other thoughts on checking your fluid level. I've got 75K miles, if my fluid level is low the dead giveaway is that it will be lazier than usual on engagement and then takeoff in drive first thing early in the morning. Seems it takes a while for the fluid that seeped out of the TC to fill back up when the level is low. Welcome to the 722.6 70K mile club ! :-).

Here's a cool link, it may or may not be applicable to your car, but the tranny adaption section has some interesting info. A technician should be able to tell you if the tranny looks like it is having health problems. Maybe your TCU adapted to prevent the problem from happening again.

http://www1.snapon.com/display/DocMg...px?fileid=4658

I can pretty much get mine to pop out of gear between the 3-4 shift through abusive actions. There is the hydraulics, then there is the electronics. The TCU doesn't figure this one out. Someday I might mod the valvebody.

Also, coolant temp affects where and hows of TC lockup, which affects shift feel.

Check out www.cherokeesrt8.com regarding tranny upgrades. The NAG1/5A580/722.6 is definitely not bullet-proof.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I've had the car overtorque and go limp I believe.

Coming around the corner at an intersection and giving the car moderate gas.

Except I heard a bang and then tranny went limp on me. Could rev the car and no motion out of tranny.

Pulled over and restarted....she was fine.

Wonder if you have reached the torque level of your tranny with that monster motor Ahmad???