S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New Key - Keyless GO Does Not Work

Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
New Key - Keyless GO Does Not Work

My key was pretty disgusting looking and I think the battery was almost depleted so I ordered a new key from the dealer.

The guy told me that he could not get me the new chrome key because I had KG so he had to get me the older style key, which is fine by me, I don't really care what it looks like.

Anyways when I went to go pickup the key it was 4:38PM and the parts department was closed and I had to argue with them for 5 minutes until someone got in the back and got me my key, which was already paid for from the delivery bin. Idiots.

Long story short - the Keyless GO system does not recognize the new key. I can lock/unlock/start the car using the buttons and by inserting the key into the ignition, but the car will not recognize it as a Keyless GO key.

Does anyone know if I need to do anything to get this working? I work and it's tough to make it to the dealer before they close usually...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Dude,
I would like an answer to this question too. The car I just bought has keyless-go and at the moment it is not working. I thought it was the key and just ordered another. I too had to get the plastic key. For me it's a bummer as I would have liked the chrome key. Anyway, I would like some insight into the keyless-go question before I pay the stealer $105 just to plug in the diag computer.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
sorry to invade your topic, with a non-answer, but can you guys tell me what the keyless-go feature is and how to tell if you have it?

I need to order a new key myself, and was hoping for the new style key (no biggie) just wanted to know before I went
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by trudawg
sorry to invade your topic, with a non-answer, but can you guys tell me what the keyless-go feature is and how to tell if you have it?

I need to order a new key myself, and was hoping for the new style key (no biggie) just wanted to know before I went
This will explain EVERYTHING you want to know about KG and many other innovative features of Mercedes-Benz vehicles: http://microsites.mbusa.com/brand/mo...p?accCode=0889
Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
Originally Posted by Oxygen
My key was pretty disgusting looking and I think the battery was almost depleted so I ordered a new key from the dealer.

The guy told me that he could not get me the new chrome key because I had KG so he had to get me the older style key, which is fine by me, I don't really care what it looks like.

Anyways when I went to go pickup the key it was 4:38PM and the parts department was closed and I had to argue with them for 5 minutes until someone got in the back and got me my key, which was already paid for from the delivery bin. Idiots.

Long story short - the Keyless GO system does not recognize the new key. I can lock/unlock/start the car using the buttons and by inserting the key into the ignition, but the car will not recognize it as a Keyless GO key.

Does anyone know if I need to do anything to get this working? I work and it's tough to make it to the dealer before they close usually...
Hi Oxi.

I guess you have now three keys registered to your car.
But Keyless go can only handle two. (the first two of course)

Your Keyless go unit needs to be "trained" with Star Diagnosis which two keys you would like to use.

Cheers, Frank
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Frank_S500
I guess you have now three keys registered to your car.
But Keyless go can only handle two. (the first two of course)

Your Keyless go unit needs to be "trained" with Star Diagnosis which two keys you would like to use.
Frank,

Thanks for the explanation. Would the dealer charge me for doing this? I think it would be fair to include in the price of the $243 key.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Frank,
Would the dealer charge me for doing this?
Is the Pope Catholic?

I think it would be fair to include in the price of the $243 key.
The service department didn't get any of that. That's probably going to be their view. If you have a good relationship with your service department they might swing it as goodwill, but it would be a favor so ask nicely.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny
Dude,
The car I just bought has keyless-go and at the moment it is not working. I thought it was the key and just ordered another.
Did you only get one key? The car came with two and if someone's got the other one I would have the dealer program your EIS to only accept the one you have. If you have two and neither works KG, it's even less likely that it's a key problem. When the dust settles, if you wind up with two keys that work, make sure the dealer programs them as original and/or replacement, not extra. Just as the EIS only allows two keys for KG, it only allows two primary keys with key-dependent memory. This means that all the settings for driver's seat positions and pneumatics, mirrors and other stuff for all three memory positions are kept independently for those two keys. You want to make sure that the two keys you have are known to the system as primaries. Keys activated as "additional" have no unique memory assigned.

Learn to love your dealer. It's part of the experience. You're lucky you can still open the glove compartment without Star Diagnosis being involved.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
This will explain EVERYTHING you want to know about KG and many other innovative features of Mercedes-Benz vehicles: http://microsites.mbusa.com/brand/mo...p?accCode=0889
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I don't have it.....lol
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Is the pope catholic? That line never gets old. Just the thought of all this key work is making my sphincter shrink already.