E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bad accelerator pedal sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Bad accelerator pedal sensor?

OK, this is my last question about a problem for a while. I have searched and found nothing. My wife's 03 E500 is having a delayed throttle response. For the first 5 seconds or so that you press the gas pedal, the car acts like the pedal hasn't even been touched, no matter if you barely touch it or floor it. After that, the acceleration slowly builds until it starts accelerating normally. The check engine light comes on sometimes. What puzzles me is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it drives perfectly fine and the CE light stays off. It seems to happen more often when you accelerate quickly a lot. If you pull over, kill the car, and restart it, it works fine again, for a little while at least. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Nataphen
OK, this is my last question about a problem for a while. I have searched and found nothing. My wife's 03 E500 is having a delayed throttle response. For the first 5 seconds or so that you press the gas pedal, the car acts like the pedal hasn't even been touched, no matter if you barely touch it or floor it. After that, the acceleration slowly builds until it starts accelerating normally. The check engine light comes on sometimes. What puzzles me is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it drives perfectly fine and the CE light stays off. It seems to happen more often when you accelerate quickly a lot. If you pull over, kill the car, and restart it, it works fine again, for a little while at least. Thanks in advance for any help.
For proper diagnose, dealer or independent would need to check if there are any stored fault codes with SDS.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM

06 E500 sport
It's the throttle pedal, yes.
Most recently, I had it happen on the G55.

Annoying as hell when you're having to hit the throttle on the yellow of the street perpendicular so that you can actually move and not get honked at when your light goes green.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 PM

2003 E500
It's the sensor that sits up high on the pedal bracket, right?

I'm just going to replace it myself. I already had a good idea of what it may be, the car did it a long time ago for a short time. I took it in for the oil change and got the code checked then. The part is $280, and he quoted $440 for them to fix it. On the tech DVD, it doesn't look like it's THAT hard of a job. I think that I can save a few bucks pretty easily on this.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM

04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
I'm bumping this thread back to the top. after finding this, and seeing as the OP described the exact same symptoms as me, I knew I had to check it out. Went to my local indy, showed him this thread and he saids, I was going to suggest the same. bought the part and now the car not only has better throttle response, but i can punch it at any time, and it gets it. Thanks OP, I hope you fixed your problem as well.

Originally Posted by Nataphen