C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Moldy smell from vents.. Want to spray Lysol into air intake.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moldy smell from vents.. Want to spray Lysol into air intake.

My 02 c220 has a moldy smell coming from the vents. If the AC is on, the smell goes away after a while, if the AC is off ( EC REST) the smell lingers much longer...

After reading here, I figure i might as well try spraying Lysol into the air intake before anything else, but I have a few questions...

1. Where exactly is the intake? Is it by the battery? like here-> https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/213268-diy-cabin-filter-replacement.html

2. Do i spray the whole can while the AC is ON or OFF?

3. How long do I leave the AC/AIR ON for after spraying?

4. DO i turn recycle on while doing this ?

5. Are there any other filters in the car that can be replaced to avoid this smell?

In addition to the above I read about cleaning the mold off the evaporator, can i do this my self and if so, where is it located...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
I had the same smell everytime I just turned on my AC/heater and it's been happening for years.

I'm doing the cabin/AC filter soon to solve the smell, maybe you should just do the same..
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM

If you are referring to the filter that I linked to above, i changed that last year and it didn't help much..
Old 10-26-2008, 05:46 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Your local auto parts stocks a spray especially for cleaning your air conditioning evaporator. It works better for this purpose than Lysol.

The air intake is on the passenger side of the car, below the windshield. Remove the cover above the battery, and spray according to the instructions on the can. You will have to repeat the process every few months.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:53 PM

I am in Portugal, would the MB dealer cary this specific spray you speak of ?

And is that same spray into the intake?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by The Punisher
I am in Portugal, would the MB dealer cary this specific spray you speak of ?

And is that same spray into the intake?
Mercedes do have a proprietary A/C spray to kill bugs that grow in the aircon system & cause the smell. Ask your dealer
Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Thank you, no one would happen to have a part number for that?

Will be passing by the dealer tomorrow as it is on my drive to the city.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know. I've seen it used by our dealer service network. It's in a typical MB silver can. I'm not even sure whether it's available in all countries.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 PM

2005 c230k
Do not waste your money on the dealer service. I had it done and it was a complete waste. $160 thrown away. I called the dealer and stated it did not fix the problem. They told me to spray Lysol into the return. They are the holes in the piece of plastic in the passenger foot well.

I put the A/C fan into recirculate at full speed and spray for about 10 seconds and then turn off the fan. I usually do this a few times a week and when I am done driving for the night since the Lysol has a strong smell. It does get rid of the majority of the problem but not all. Just something I will have to live with.

Unfortunately the only way to have this problem solved is to have the evaporator core changed. I am sure it is pretty expensive and the same thing will probably return in a year or two.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by dnlow
Do not waste your money on the dealer service. I had it done and it was a complete waste. $160 thrown away. I called the dealer and stated it did not fix the problem. They told me to spray Lysol into the return. They are the holes in the piece of plastic in the passenger foot well.

I put the A/C fan into recirculate at full speed and spray for about 10 seconds and then turn off the fan. I usually do this a few times a week and when I am done driving for the night since the Lysol has a strong smell. It does get rid of the majority of the problem but not all. Just something I will have to live with.

Unfortunately the only way to have this problem solved is to have the evaporator core changed. I am sure it is pretty expensive and the same thing will probably return in a year or two.
wow you live in Casa Grande and have this problem??? I drive around without my AC on and I don't have a problem even when I turn it back on. I was thinking the dryness out here fixed it.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A new filter and leaving the heater on max temp full fan, no ac, for about 1 hour should fix the problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM

My dealer replaced the core (warranty) in my 04 c240 and of course the smell went away - now of course after @ 6 months it is back.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

$160, they saw you coming. Our dealers here give everything a squirt at every service. Charge - nominal - maybe $15 - This does not let the problem develop in the first place. The trick is not to let the bacteria multiply.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Get some of this: http://www.1z-usa.com/AC_Cleaner.html
Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
No that i know where the intake is, I'm soo dropping an air freshener tree in there!

EDIT: I live in Las Vegas and my c230 does this as well. Then again, i traced the owner history of my card and it's from socal so it may have started there.

Last edited by billbugger; 10-30-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM

2005 c230k
Originally Posted by johnand
This seems like a product I bought previously. I will give this a try any way. I think this problem requires regular service. I think the problem lies in the design of the HVAC system, since it returns even after the evaporator core is changed.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM

2005 c230k
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
$160, they saw you coming. Our dealers here give everything a squirt at every service. Charge - nominal - maybe $15 - This does not let the problem develop in the first place. The trick is not to let the bacteria multiply.
The dealers are notourious for over charging for services just to fill their pockets. That is why I go to them only as an absolute last resort.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
I'm bringing this thread back to life. Unless I missed it, I still can't tell where the fresh air intake, for the A/C, is located. I see where the cabin air filter is located but no fresh air intake. Can someone explain where the fresh air intake is located?

Thanks,
Leif W.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by LeifW
....the fresh air intake, for the A/C, is located. I see where the cabin air filter is located but no fresh air intake.,,,
That is the fresh air intake.....
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM

2005 c230k
Since this thread is back, I will add a bit more info. The one thing I am not doing any more is turning the compressor off a few minutes before I get home. This really has seemed to reduce the problem alot. It was a bit of a problem in the earlier part of the spring/summer but no where near the level it was before. When the really hot part of the summer came on it has not been a problem at all. I still use the Lysol about once a month though. I just see it as part of the regular maintenance for this car.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
That is the fresh air intake.....
Okay, I feel really stupid. I never actually disconnected the cabin air filter. I just did so and I see now how the bottom (facing the battery) is open. Thanks.

Leif W.

Last edited by LeifW; 08-15-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Since this thread is back, I will add a bit more info. The one thing I am not doing any more is turning the compressor off a few minutes before I get home. This really has seemed to reduce the problem alot. It was a bit of a problem in the earlier part of the spring/summer but no where near the level it was before. When the really hot part of the summer came on it has not been a problem at all. I still use the Lysol about once a month though. I just see it as part of the regular maintenance for this car.
When you use the Lysol, where are you spraying it? Do you put the A/C on recirculate and spray thru the little circular holes in the passenger foot well? Or do you take the cabin air filter off in the engine compartment and spray in that opening?

Thanks,
Leif
Old 08-16-2009, 12:12 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Originally Posted by LeifW
When you use the Lysol, where are you spraying it? Do you put the A/C on recirculate and spray thru the little circular holes in the passenger foot well? Or do you take the cabin air filter off in the engine compartment and spray in that opening?

Thanks,
Leif
I always spray both places.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 AM

2005 c230k
If you can do both it is pretty good, but I have notice that the door on the cabin filter side is usually closed so it is pointless.

If you do not know what the door is, it is a flap that closes when the outside temp is over 97?. An easy way to see how it works is to look behind the cabin filter when the car is off. You will see the fan. Turn on the car and you will see what appears to be a sleeve that will come up and close off outside air from coming in. It will gradually open as the interior of the car cools. The manufacture felt that when the outside temp is very hot, it is more efficient to just cool the air inside the cabin. Then slowly allow outside air to come in. Whole process is about 30 mins before the door is fully open again.

This is the main reason that I only use the return vents in the passenger foot well, since the door is closed most all the time in the summer.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 AM

2001 E240
I open the hood and let the intake vents bask under the sun for 2 hours and it does improve a lot.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moldy smell from vents.. Want to spray Lysol into air intake.