Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to drain coolant antifreeze completly from engine block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 e55
how to drain coolant antifreeze completly from engine block

00 e55
replacing coolant in the system
i have green stuff which i hear is not recomended
i darined and flushed the radiator but there is still green stuff in the engine block how to i drain it?
please help
I dont want to mix mercedes redish coolant with green

thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
You won't get all the green out just running water through. Fill it up with clean water then run the engine until warm. Shut it down, and then drain. You will get most but not all due to the dye remaining.

Why not just stay with MB recommended coolant and part?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Make sure you have the heater core open also. There is a drain plug (coolant) on the engine.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheaper than a benz...
you also want to use the yellow/ clear benz coolant. try to avoid green coolant. but always use aluminium compatable coolant. Heres what i do. I would flush as much as possible with water, have the heat on high pref defrost. pre-mix the coolant (have a seperate and clean jug availible). I tend to be **** on amg cars and low temp coolant circuits, I use distilled water vs tap water. fill the separate jug half full of coolant and add water, do this til the system is full.

when the flush is complete and you are ready for anti-freeze, pour it in, make sure you have all the drain plugs shut, leave the coolant cap open and let the car idle so all the air pockets escape. when you are done filling, put the reservoir cap on and drive the car for a short distance, make sure you keep tabs on the temp, drive with the heat on. then shut the car off let it sit and cool, then check the level in the reservoir and add any if needed.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM

09' E320
Haven't heard of red Mb coolant. Zerox G-05 is the same product as MB (yellow) labeled coolant.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 AM

00 e55
Originally Posted by TMAllison
Haven't heard of red Mb coolant. Zerox G-05 is the same product as MB (yellow) labeled coolant.
I used the yellow g-05 coolant, I just could not find the drain plug on the engine block, i filled it up with g-05 so there was probably a quart or so in the engine block of green stuff left, but i checked and I guess g-05 is compatible with all coolants o i should be ok.
And yes I did used distilled water for mixing.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
Since the M112/113 series engines came out the block drains through the radiator drain. I have opened the block drain, which is on the pass side of the engine, but I get only a few drops of coolant once the radiator has been drained. I believe the engine in your E55 is set up the same. You should get about 8.5 quarts through the radiator drain. Set the heating system to defrost after refilling.

If you want to check the block drain, it is above the motor mount arm, below the exhaust manifold. It has an internal hex, so you have to use a hex socket or allen wrench. It is very hard to reach.