E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Windows roll themselves down/doors will not lock, 98 w210

Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E300
Windows roll themselves down/doors will not lock, 98 w210

1998 E300D W210, 230k odd miles.

Recently the doors stopped locking via the remote, had to manually push down the buttons to get the car secure.

Just a few days later the windows start rolling themselves down after being parked for a few hours. Sometimes all the way, sometimes part way.

Now it seems when you try to roll up the windows the right rear one will roll up, and then come back down part way on its own.

Searched the forum but did not find anything probative. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping this is a problem with specific symptoms that should be easy to diagnose.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 PM

'01 W210 E320 CDI
First of all; replace the batteries of the remote. With empty batteries the key still works in the ignition. (It gets infrared from the socket) The windows may just need re-calibration for some reason? Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. Then, using the window push-buttons on the center console, lower and raise each window with the manual funtion (depress the button slightly) and keep the button pressed for a few seconds when fully raised and lowered. After that the auto function should work again...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
The key uses RF to communicate with door locks, etc. powered by the key battery. This is the battery's only function.

The key is also a transponder which communicates with DAS during the start sequence.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM

98 E300
Originally Posted by Lancelot
First of all; replace the batteries of the remote. With empty batteries the key still works in the ignition. (It gets infrared from the socket) The windows may just need re-calibration for some reason? Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. Then, using the window push-buttons on the center console, lower and raise each window with the manual funtion (depress the button slightly) and keep the button pressed for a few seconds when fully raised and lowered. After that the auto function should work again...
I should add that the doors still unlock with the remote, the alarm still arms and the lights flash.

The window auto up and auto down works fine......if you don't count the windows rolling themselves down in the middle of the night as a problem.

The windows roll down when the key is out of range, so I don't think its a key fob problem.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 PM

98 E300
update:

it now almost every time you turn the car off tries to roll down the windows and open the sunroof as if you held the unlock button on the remote.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

98 E300
update x2: Last night when turning off the ignition the dash readout for miles went dark untill the door was reshut, then for the first time ever the dash showed an outside time (of 0F and then -1F when it was maybe 60 degrees out)
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The key

is both RF and IR.Your key is working fine.Something is amiss in the pse or the ccm.
Lift the rear pass seat and examine the pse for water intrusion.Check all lines going to and from the pse for wear and or corrosion.Often times the windows will roll down automatically if they sense an obstruction or something like a dirty track.Inspect all the usual suspects
Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Mecedes E320 1998
Windows won't operate

On my 1998 E320, All four windows had stopped working, on console or back doors. Also mirrors not working. Removed center panel and cleaned where iced tea had gummed things up. Used electrical cleaning fluid. re-installed but nothing works. All fuses are good. I then check fuses under back seat and removed each one. after that the windows started working all by themselves and had difficult time stopping them. Holding down buttons finallyt stopped them. now they don't work at all. Still all fuses good. ANYBODY GOT AN IDEA WHAT MIGHT GET THEM GOING AGAIN?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I do not know how long it has been since you spilled fluids on the center console switch, however I believe there is still moisture in the switches. I would remove the switch and let it set out in the sun all day.

Then reconnect, but before actuating a switch disconnect the battery and wait for a couple of minutes and reconnect.

When you do this you then will not only have to reset(hold switch open or closed for three seconds after the item will not move anymore) the windows, but seats/mirrors and sun roof.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 PM

Mercedes E320 4Matic
Talking It's mostly likely the PSE

I did some research online about this issue as well. This first started to happen when the car sat for a month. I came home, all the windows were down and the moonroof was open. I asked my parents if they had been in my car or rolled the windows down, they said no.

Since the key fob is IR and not RF, I immediately ruled that out, since the windows were rolling down on their own.

When I purchased the car (from a car lot), the car had major condensation on the inside. Albeit it had been raining a lot (I live in Portland, Oregon) they state that one of the employees had left all the windows down and the moonroof open. The car did not smell like mold at all, so I figured this was a one time deal.

Whether or not they were telling the truth, there was obviously an electrical problem. I decided to purchase a PSE module, basically the entire vacuum pump system, used from an Ebay seller (fad.973) for $85 shipped 2-day shipping. Awesome seller btw...

Anyway, had a local, independent Mercedes mechanic ship install it (Omega Motors) for $50, windows are now normal and the moonroof is fine as well. Locks also do not unlock by themselves now.

For the interim before I had the issue fixed, I removed fuses 19 and 5 underneath the rear seat. This disabled the pump, so I had manual door locks, and the front passenger window did not work, and the radio also did not work and lost it's code. This was the best solution for the time.

I had previously thought that if I took the fuses out for all the windows that it would fix the problem, but for some reason it did not, and I still had the problem. So I narrowed the issue down by removing the correct fuses for the door locks, figured out it was the pump, windows no longer rolled down on their own, and I sprung for the used PSE on Ebay.

Hope this long-winded reply to this thread helps others out there. Find a good indie mechanic to do work for you like this. I've read horror stories from other owners spending north of 1k for the part and the stealership to make the repairs.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
The key fob is both IR and RF.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 AM

Mercedes E320 4Matic
Thumbs down Relevance?

Then why does the fob not work when the transmitter is covered? An RF signal would work when say, the fob is in your jeans and you press the button. An IR signal requires a deliberate aim, akin to a TV remote.

This is irrelevant. We all know the fob needs to be pointed at the car in order to lock/utilize the convenience feature etc.

Thanks for the input...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 AM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by steven1989pdx
Then why does the fob not work when the transmitter is covered? An RF signal would work when say, the fob is in your jeans and you press the button. An IR signal requires a deliberate aim, akin to a TV remote.

This is irrelevant. We all know the fob needs to be pointed at the car in order to lock/utilize the convenience feature etc.

Thanks for the input...
I can unlock my car with the fob in my pocket. If you want to open all windows and doors and sun roof...that uses IR...otherwise RF. I hope you have now learnt something new about your car...and perhaps something that isn't working. I'm not the only one who knows more than you, see posts #3 and #7 above.

What year is your car? A little more detail might help. You might have a very early model without the features "we all know" these cars have.

With an attitude like yours, you will not get on well here. This is a forum where people ask questions and try to help each other...usually it works very well. Even if you think an answer is dumb (though I think we have established who is dumb in this instance), you politely thank the poster and hope a better answer may come along. Why are children your age so aggressive?

Last edited by renault12ts; 04-19-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by renault12ts
The key fob is both IR and RF.

All I know is that on a W210 the two on car IR receivers only receive IR signals for all repeat all convenience feature instructions and that signal is generated by the key fob.

PS: I have known a couple of Brits, hands in pockets, who are always playing with their fobs while trying to open their car doors---gota be something to do with the viking influence!!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
steven, the sunroof and windows are IR compliant. the door and trunk
locks are based on the RF design. Smartkey and the ignition interrogates
each other via passive induction/IR.

if you have broadband connection, download this half gig file from MBUSA
for a kick *** wealth of information which they used to sell for $100. it
will provide great insight into your 210

Last edited by raymond g-; 04-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
ps i'm sure (hope) the OP figured it out long before now, but i tend to
agree with steven that the first place I'd look would be the PSE pump
beneath the seat and examine for signs of water intrusion creating havoc
with the electrical/electronics components
Old 04-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Mercedes E320 4Matic
Originally Posted by renault12ts
I can unlock my car with the fob in my pocket. If you want to open all windows and doors and sun roof...that uses IR...otherwise RF. I hope you have now learnt something new about your car...and perhaps something that isn't working. I'm not the only one who knows more than you, see posts #3 and #7 above.

What year is your car? A little more detail might help. You might have a very early model without the features "we all know" these cars have.

With an attitude like yours, you will not get on well here. This is a forum where people ask questions and try to help each other...usually it works very well. Even if you think an answer is dumb (though I think we have established who is dumb in this instance), you politely thank the poster and hope a better answer may come along. Why are children your age so aggressive?
Look, I took the time to write a long, genuine post about my findings and what I spent in order to help others out. Then I get a reply back, with a smug "It's ACTUALLY IR and RF"."

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion, albeit it has almost nothing to do with the actual issue, your reply was made just for the sake of being contrary, and added almost nothing to the thread. If we are being pedantic here, then I guess for the sake of accuracy I may be wrong, but I know that I just put in a fresh set of batteries for my fob, cover up the transmitter, and it doesn't unlock. Perhaps you're confused about what IR and RF are. At any rate, the argument over the difference in those technologies is irrelevant.

Perhaps "old timers" in forums and of chronology should be a little more welcoming to newcomers.

I have a fully loaded 1999 Black Mercedes E320 4Matic
Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM

W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by steven1989pdx
Look, I took the time to write a long, genuine post about my findings and what I spent in order to help others out. Then I get a reply back, with a smug "It's ACTUALLY IR and RF"."

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion, albeit it has almost nothing to do with the actual issue, your reply was made just for the sake of being contrary, and added almost nothing to the thread. If we are being pedantic here, then I guess for the sake of accuracy I may be wrong, but I know that I just put in a fresh set of batteries for my fob, cover up the transmitter, and it doesn't unlock. Perhaps you're confused about what IR and RF are. At any rate, the argument over the difference in those technologies is irrelevant.

Perhaps "old timers" in forums and of chronology should be a little more welcoming to newcomers.

I have a fully loaded 1999 Black Mercedes E320 4Matic
I was far from being smug. Your post was good, your reply was dumb. It's obvious that your RF function doesn't work. Can't you understand, just because it doesn't work for you, does not mean that's the way it is for everyone else? I don't see why you think I'm confused...I can open my car with the key pointed anywhere except at the car...and from inside a pocket...can I be any clearer?

As for being welcoming...look at your post in reply to my helpful information that the fob is both RF and IR. Being wrong is not a crime...I have been known to be wrong before, but your response was churlish.

Last edited by renault12ts; 04-19-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:55 PM

S500 v8 compressor
03 s500 v8 compressor.

I have a similar problem my door locks dont lock when i used the key fob alarm still work but i have to lock my door by hand any suggestions on how to fix this problem anyone.