E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

97 E320 Three Problems (ABS/ETS (not ETC) and Check Engine

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
97 E320 Three Problems (ABS/ETS (not ETC) and Check Engine

So I've been a lurker for awhile, really want to say thanks for all the DIYs, especially the brake job. I've had my 320 for a couple of years now and last winter I had a "funny thing happen on the way to work". I was just driving along on surface streets when I smelled that distinct smell of electrical carnage. I noticed smoke coming from the rear view mirror, so I pulled into wherever and started blowing and shaking the mirror until it stopped. When I got home I took the rear view assembly off and noticed that one of the metal clips that hold the whole thing together had fallen off and had come into contact with a circuit board on the back of the mirror consequently frying something on the board. As soon as this happened I got the following three errors, ABS, ETS (not ETC) and Check Engine. The car didn't run any differently and hasn't run any differently. I just hit the "R" (reset) for each error and everything's normal except that the check engine stays on while I drive. It seems that when I first start it I get no errors, but when I put it in gear one-by-one these errors immediately pop up. I have since changed the oil, plugs and wires/modules, brakes and battery. The car has 180K+ now and other than this problem there seems to be nothing wrong with it. Any ideas on what could cause all three of these errors? I have searched for these three on the forums, but all I get are either Check Engine only problems or ABS, ETS, Brakes as a combo and I have had no brake errors.

Last edited by LeftLane911; 07-08-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: General retardation on my part
Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
What's

The code man?
The code
You need to read the code.
Harborfreight has the 94169 scanner
or someplace's like ohreilys or autozone will read them for free.
If you toss us what code is showing we could help track it back to the source.
Which due to the short in the system is probably a comm related issue.
I take it you have no smog testing where you live otherwise you would fail the test and probably be less patient with getting this resolved
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM

1997 E320
ok so after smacking myself in the head I got the codes.....

P0410 and P0341
Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

1991 SC Miata, 1999 W210 Estate Wagon
I've had the P0410 for a while. Based on experiences other people have had on the forum, you could have the following:
1) leaking vacuum line to the check valve
2) faulty air pump
3) faulty harness to air pump
4) faulty check valve
5) blockage

In my case, I've determined that the right side secondary air channel is blocked and I really have no way of cleaning it (if you remove the check valve, you will find a reed valve in the way). I just read my codes periodically and clear it.

The fact that the errors showed up after your electrical gremlin may just be coincidental.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Check for the common oil

leak at the cam sensor located on the front of the head.
Erase the cel for the sec air malf.
See if it comes back.
Some of those wires for the system on the m104 are pretty intermingled so it could be the short or it could be coincidence as long as you don't have smog tests you can wait. Although with a cam sensor issue you probably are suffering from lower fuel mileage than you should be getting.
SDS time diagnostics maybe the only way to track it down for sure.
And you know how that pains me to even suggest
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 PM

1997 E320
Back from Vaca

OK so now I'm back for awhile and can look into this further.

First the errors occurred at exactly the same time as the "smoking rear view mirror" happened. Literally smelled smoke and the errors showed up before I could pull over and see what was going on.

The car "seems" to drive/accelerate fine, but I guess you never know about the smog test and how that will go (I have until May 2010, in AZ we can get our tags for two years)

Secondly would anyone know what the little circuit board on the back of the rear view is/does, and where I could get another one. I haven't been able to find them online, but that could just be because I don't know where/what to look for. I would actually like to buy a complete rear view assembly if possible as this one is old and the plastic was so brittle from the sun that it is crumbling and I am keeping it together with epoxy that looks really crappy.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM

1997 E320
Still floundering

Originally Posted by ohlord
leak at the cam sensor located on the front of the head.
Erase the cel for the sec air malf.
See if it comes back.
Some of those wires for the system on the m104 are pretty intermingled so it could be the short or it could be coincidence as long as you don't have smog tests you can wait. Although with a cam sensor issue you probably are suffering from lower fuel mileage than you should be getting.
SDS time diagnostics maybe the only way to track it down for sure.
And you know how that pains me to even suggest
OK so I decided to get in and get dirty, so just to update, I found that the electrical "fire" was just a capacitor on the auto dimming board inside the rear view mirror. But during the removal of the mirror frame due to the Arizona sun the plastic is brittle and broken so I might have to plasti-weld it back on. (New assy from dealer is around $800). Then I tried to clear the codes and was able to clear the CEL, but the reader said that it was unable to clear the p410 and the p341.

So now my brain is in "think" mode. I have the ABS and the ETS errors on the display, the codes I am getting are p0410 and p0341. I have taken apart and checked all of the fuses that I could find (under the hood p.s. and drivers side by the firewall: drivers side panel interior: under the back seat behind the battery).

The p0410 is sec air injection system fault. And one of the possibilities is defective relay, wiring or fuse.

The p0341 is cam position sensor. And one of the possibilities is the sensor, or connector and wiring.

Problem is I can't get a good picture online of the sec air injection relay or a good pic of exactly where the can sensor is located. Admittedly I am not very proficient at the mechanics of an MB (always had chevys till now). Also I can find the cam sensor on autozone (pricey), but no luck finding the sec air injection relay or reasons why the reader won't clear the codes. I really want to fix this myself for more reasons than the cost, dammit I can do this (I think).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.