E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New to MB, Service C

Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350, 2015 ML350, 2017 X5
New to MB, Service C

This is first time I'll be going to MB dealer for service.
I have msg showing 26 days left for Service C even though it shows 7100 miles left for Service C.

From reading on this board, it looks like Service C is just oil/filter, cabin filter and some inspections. I can DIY cabin filter, replaced wiper blade recently, and tires rotated.

It's been only 6k miles/10 month since last oil change.
Is it ok to wait on this a while then just get the dealer to do the oil change. Would they just charge for oil change and reset the reminder?
Or they will still charge for Service C?

Anyone DIY some of the scheduled service and ask dealer to do the rest?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by MBE550
I have msg showing 26 days left for Service C even though it shows 7100 miles left for Service C.

From reading on this board, it looks like Service C is just oil/filter, cabin filter and some inspections. I can DIY cabin filter, replaced wiper blade recently, and tires rotated.

It's been only 6k miles/10 month since last oil change.
Is it ok to wait on this a while then just get the dealer to do the oil change. Would they just charge for oil change and reset the reminder?
Or they will still charge for Service C?

Anyone DIY some of the scheduled service and ask dealer to do the rest?
Last week my MB Dealer completed a B Service...........the FSS showed it needed a D Service. In the USA, the MB Dealers only perform A Service (Oil/Filter & other minimum services) and B Service (Oil/Filter and more extensive services)..........the other designations are used in Europe. When they reset my vehicle's FSS, it now shows it will need an E Service (A Service) in 12,880 miles. I asked my Service Rep why the longer interval since after my last A Service the FSS indicated the next service was due after 10,000 miles. The response was that the FSS computer automatically determines the mileage interval and depending how I drive, the FSS might even reset itself to a lower interval down the pike. They said the newest E series models are now hard set for service every 10,000 miles, no longer a variable interval like prior years' models. So, your FSS computer apparently is telling you to do an A Service in a shorter period based upon how the vehicle has been driven. In my case, I do an oil/filter change every 5,000 - 6,000 miles anyway and not wait until 10,000 - 12,000 miles point. There's been lively discussions on this forum about the best oil change interval, some like myself who feel it protects the engine life better, to others who say they trust MB and just follow what the FSS says, and on the extreme side, a few who say changing the oil more frequently like I do will actually harm the engine. My only response is that I've had MB mechanics and Volvo mechanics (my other vehicle) tell me it's better on your engine, even if using synthetic oil like Mobil 1, to change the oil/filter more frequently than the vehicle manufacturer recommends, such as every 5,000 miles or so.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Elegance Saloon
You can have specific services performed and then have them confirmed in FSS. The time and letter code will change.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM

mcleantmw,

I see that you are close by. I'm in Fairfax. Which dealer did you go to.
Based on your statement Service C should then be Service B I guess.
I was quoted $280 and $295 from 2 diffenet dealers in NOVA. Both of them did not mention anything about Service C is not for U.S.
How much they charged for B service and what was done beside oil change?

I didn't think anything besides an oil change was necessary, and especially not right now. I'm comfortable with 10k oil change interval based on MB and Mobil's recommendation using full synthetic, and I don't want to get into discussion about what the best interval should be. I'm only going to keep the car for about 4-5 yrs anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
MBUSA requires oil/filter change every 13000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first with additional work “recommended” in accordance to time and/or mileage elapsed.

select 05-08 maintenance https://mbworld.org/forums/3294991-post83.html
Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM

mcleantmw,

I see that you are close by. I'm in Fairfax. Which dealer did you go to.
Based on your statement Service C should then be Service B I guess.
I was quoted $280 and $295 from 2 diffenet dealers in NOVA. Both of them did not mention anything about Service C is not for U.S.
How much they charged for B service and what was done beside oil change?

I didn't think anything besides an oil change was necessary, and especially not right now. I'm comfortable with 10k oil change interval based on MB and Mobil's recommendation using full synthetic, and I don't want to get into discussion about what the best interval should be. I'm only going to keep the car for about 4-5 yrs anyway.
I started using American Service Center (ASC) Arlington a few months ago and am very pleased with their service. But I bought my CPO vehicle at HBL Tysons Corner in Sept 2005and have been unhappy with some of their services performed, including damaging my pin strip during a service, scratching my alloys when installing new tires, etc. The last straw six months ago was for a repeat simple problem with my climate control display being stuck in the night mode. I had specifically told my service rep that they hadn't fixed it a few months back so it was a repeat problem but I got the same kiss off "fix" by the mechanic that the light system had been reset.......no one bothered to check to see if the "fix" actually fixed the problem, the mechanic nor the service rep, by driving the car into the sun light to see if the display was now showing in the day mode. The local MB Dealers will offer specials on service at various times but the regular cost for a B Service at ASC is about $449; A Service $309. The B Service includes engine compartment stuff including oil/filter; wheels/tires/brakes inspections; underside of vehicle inspections; vehicle passenger compartment--scan all systems for fault codes, reset FSS, replace dust filters; function tests; front/rear vehicle inspections; road test vehicle. List is too long. The A Service covers less items. If you decide on ASC, ask for Dave Smith as your service rep.......he's super.....and he can give you a recommendation about what service you should get based upon your FSS/Mileage. My point on the A,B,C,D,E Services is that both HBL and ASC folks say that USA only performs A and B Services......nothing is different for the C,D,E Services, like they do in Europe. So when C Service is FSS displayed, an A Service is needed; D = B Service, etc.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
Uh Oh I just scheduled my Service A at Tyson's. My regular SA is in ASC (Max) but its such an inconvenience on weekdays (I live in Vienna, work in NW DC). I've used Tysons for unscheduled oil changes and so far so good but I'm looking to get some warranty work done. I think I'll reschedule for ASC then (esp after reading another major negative review on them online somewhere).
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 AM

The last time I took a car into HBL it took them all day to do an unscheduled oil/filter change and a coolant flush/recharge (on my W210 E55). I dropped the car off in the early morning (on an appointment) and only heard from them in the mid-afternoon. I thought that was a really long time for relatively minor service items. I didn't complain so much as they hooked me up with a fun loaner (a Smart ForTwo) - I enjoyed driving that lil' rascal hard
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 PM

That's funny that the price I was quoted for Service C yesterday is much lower.
I'll go to ASC from now on for sure.
I got my CPO last April from ASC, but went HBL last month to replace failed keyless sensor on passenger side.

Here is what happened.
I left my car for a whole day, and they were supposed get the part next morning and replace it. Next day, no one called from the dealer, so I called. It was the door handle assembly that was to be replaced, and they ordered unpainted version instead of matching factory painted one. Service rep says, he will send the door handle to the bodyshop to be painted. WTF! I said no way, and ask him to order the right part again. If you see the door handle it's not just the paint, it actually has clear plastic protection layer.

I had to go back to pick up my car since they only provide loaner for a day max. The service rep supposed to order the part which willl be shipped in 1 or 2 days. 4 days later I called, and he never ordered the part.
A week later no one called. I called to find out that the part has arrived already. I was told it will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. It ended up taking more than 2 hours. I told the service rep, I DO NOT want the car wash which he replied, "Why not! it's free". I said no I don't want it.
Eventually, he said it's done and will be ready in 5 min. 20 min. pass by so I ask him again. He checks then "I'm sorry they sent your car to car wash" Finally, I get my car and I noticed something on my front side.
I was really shocked to see what they have done. Someone from car wash tried to use some generic grey color touch up paint to brush over this pinhole size paint chip I had. The paint color was complete mis match and at least 1 inch long, it was noticeable from 30 feet away.
It was so much paint and still wet. On top of that, they denied of doing that touch up which I never asked for.
The story goes on, but I'll end it here.

Basically, what supposed to be a simple warranty repair cost me 3 trips, 1 week waiting, 3 hrs at the dealer with all the headache.

Last edited by MBE550; 07-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I feel ASC is better than HBL. Hear so many negative stories about HBL. Guess they think they can be the way the are, since they are in Tysons Corner.

My service E is due in 14 days. Called ASC and the girl on the line said E=A service which would be $310 and if B service $450

Now i just bought mine last nov w/27k miles on it and now has 32k miles. Im sure they changed the oil/filter when they CPO'd the car and put it up for sale.

Should i bypass the A service? and wait til 39k miles to bring it in?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by novae500
I feel ASC is better than HBL. Hear so many negative stories about HBL. Guess they think they can be the way the are, since they are in Tysons Corner.

My service E is due in 14 days. Called ASC and the girl on the line said E=A service which would be $310 and if B service $450

Now i just bought mine last nov w/27k miles on it and now has 32k miles. Im sure they changed the oil/filter when they CPO'd the car and put it up for sale.

That is the same issue I have now. I bought it at 17k and last oil change was at 14k. I have 20k now, but came up for C service. I was planning to do the oil change at 27k.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 PM

I'd call your service rep at ASC and discuss whether you should get the A Service now or wait..........if you bought it at ASC, the Service Rep should also be able to check their records to verify when they last did the oil charge. I'm not sure what the MB Dealers do to prep the vehicles when they sell them as CPO-qualified and whether they change the oil on a vehicle even when the FSS says it's not due for one yet? When I bought my CPO vehicle in 2005, it had been sitting on HBL's lot for a couple months and the FSS indicated it wasn't due for an A/B Service for many months, so I went to an independent foreign car shop and had them change the oil and filter. But as I indicated earlier, I also always change the oil/filter on all my vehicles I've ever owned every 5k-6k miles anyway. My theory about the lower quality of services at HBL is that they're owned by a super large corporation and sell many luxury vehicles besides Benz, such a Audi, Mazzaradi, etc, and along with some high cost area arrogance, they've lost focus on quality control and attention to detail. In fact, my Service Rep at ASC says that he and several others used to work for HBL but switched to ASC which is a locally owned and operated company about 30 years.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Thanks for the info.

Not to be off subject, but a few of the E55 owners are meeting up at Tysons 2 Macys upper floor next saturday at 11am.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 PM

hahaha I'm glad I decided to go to ASC for my next visit. I was kinda iffy because I have some warranty items I needed attention on (creaking instrument gauge surround, non functioning driver's side keyless go door handle and trunk, left exhaust rattling etc.).

Thanks guys, for the heads up
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info.

Not to be off subject, but a few of the E55 owners are meeting up at Tysons 2 Macys upper floor next saturday at 11am.
W211s or all E55s. That might be interesting...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
That is the same issue I have now. I bought it at 17k and last oil change was at 14k. I have 20k now, but came up for C service. I was planning to do the oil change at 27k.

I called ASC and looks like no oil change was done when i bought it at 27k miles. If doing the math, oil change was done at 26k, i still have till 39k for next oil change.

I got a price quote of $450 for B Service, (light shows E service due). How did you get a quote for under $300?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM

I just called ASC and HBL, and asked for Service c price.
Both of them have my vehicle info, and it was $280 and $295
I'm planning to do just oil change and do the rest myself. I think it's mostly filter changes and inspections.
I heard new E class has service notification based on mileasge only - 10k.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
I think it's mostly filter changes and inspections.
Once again, you can figure out exactly what needs to be done instead of guessing here https://mbworld.org/forums/3622122-post5.html

I heard new E class has service notification based on mileasge only - 10k.
10000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first
https://mbworld.org/forums/3598711-post3.html