E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone tried Dr. Colorchip to touch up a scratch?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Anyone tried Dr. Colorchip to touch up a scratch?

I tried using Dr. Colorchip with the touch-up paint that came with it on a very thin hairline scratch that was through the paint. Unfortunately, the Dr. Colorchip "blending solution" took off all the paint that I had applied to the scratch. I tried at least four times with the same result. I also tried the same paint with Langka, and that too took off the paint from the touched up area.

Is the paint that Dr. Colorchip supplied simply inferior to what you buy from the Mercedes dealer? I've used Langka on at least three other cars with factory touch-up paint and I've had excellent results. So that's why I'm thinking the paint that Dr. Colorchip sent me is the culprit.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Okay, so nobody has tried Dr. Colorchip (no loss). How would you go about fixing this hairline scratch?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I met a chip repair guy in a van touching up trade-ins at my the Huntington Honda service dept... I watched him work on a few cars. His chip repairs were pretty undetectable si I asked for his card. I'll dig it out at work tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I met a chip repair guy in a van touching up trade-ins at my the Huntington Honda service dept... I watched him work on a few cars. His chip repairs were pretty undetectable si I asked for his card. I'll dig it out at work tomorrow.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I bought touch-up paint from the Mercedes dealer and gave it another try with Langka, but that too just pulled the paint right off. At this point, I'd be happy to pay someone who can fix this so it's undetectable.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I bought touch-up paint from the Mercedes dealer and gave it another try with Langka, but that too just pulled the paint right off. At this point, I'd be happy to pay someone who can fix this so it's undetectable.
I normally wait a couple of days for touch-up paint to harden prior to using Langka.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Here Ya Go:

Touch of Color of NY, Inc.
Frank: (877) 366-4257

(Met him doing cars @ Huntington Honda)
Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 AM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I normally wait a couple of days for touch-up paint to harden prior to using Langka.
Ditto. The last time, I waited 3 days, and still it took all the touch-up paint off.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
I tried Dr. Colorchip on hairline scratches, but didn't work very well, as you've described. The cleaning solution wipes off the touchup paint. If I waited long enough for the paint to dry, the cleaning solution still takes off the touchup paint. Dr. Colorchip works great on large chip areas, but most of the paint falls off after about a year. Maybe you can try those touchup paint pens on hairline scratches; I have not tried them myself.