Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio 30 APS Update CDROM?

Old 03-15-2002, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A190
Question Audio 30 APS Update CDROM?

I took delivery of my pre-owned 2001 A190 today.

It has the Audio 30 APS Comand system and I would like to make sure that I am on the latest software/nav versions but there is no mention of checking the version that is installed in the manual.

So...

1) How can I check which version I have now?

3) What are the latest versions?

2) Where is the best place to get the updates if I need them? Are they only available from MB dealerships?

BTW I am in the UK.

Paul
Old 03-15-2002, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

Latest is 5.0

The version number is wriiten on the navigation CD.

You need to get the MB version, not any other Becker Trafficpro version.

Buying it from MB UK is *ridiculously* expensive.

I bought mine on ebay germany for what worked out at about 100 pounds including post to me here in the UK. Search for audio 30 in the motor forum on www.ebay.de

The CD has some sort of copy protection on it, I tried to run with a copy rather that the original, then had to force it to load an old version and then go back to the new version again ... Older versions worked with a copy. (I dont like to put the original one in in case it gets damaged)
Old 03-16-2002, 11:11 AM

A190
Thanks Richard,

Looks like I am version 4.1.

Apart from the updated digital map data do you know what software updates there are?

Paul
Old 03-16-2002, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Theres some TMC stuff, and in theory better maps. One of the later releases didnt allow you to select user defined routes properly I think.

Im waiting for some sun (my audio-30-aps is in my SL) to work out whether the TMC stuff works with the new UK TMC service that is on the RDS chanel attached to Classic FM

(RDS TMC is free traffic info that causes the route to be recalculated if there is a jam, but it needs there to be data on the CD for the TMC references, and I dont know if its on there)
(Its definetly not there on the COMAND map disks, but those are from Teleatlas, and the Audio-30-Aps/Becker maps are from the other mapping company whose name I cant remember)
Old 03-18-2002, 09:25 AM

A190
Originally posted by Richard
I bought mine on ebay germany for what worked out at about 100 pounds including post to me here in the UK. Search for audio 30 in the motor forum on www.ebay.de
<P>

Buying from Germany... doesn't that mean that the comand voice speaks in german? !

Are there English versions and German versions? How can I tell the difference?

I have noticed many of the version 5 CDs for sale for about the price you mention but I am a bit nervous of buying something from Germany, from someone who perhaps doesn't speak good english, only to find I have a german speaking command system <aaagh!>

Regards

Paul
Old 03-18-2002, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The CD holds all the languages and all the European maps (including English Imperial and Metric,. and of course UK map)

You just select language from one of the options. Im pretty sure you can do it on your 4.1 disk aswell ! (Hint, Sprache is german for language, so if you accidentally get it into German thats the menu to look for).

The disks hold both a "radio software" upgrade, and the maps, so when you first put the disk in (definetly use the original not a copy at this point) it loads in the new radio software and turns off. Then you turn it on and it loads in the new mapping software and the city list.

Almost all German sellers are quite happy to post to the UK, even though they dont think to put that on their adverts. The only hastle is they dont tend to use credit cards so you have to do a bank transfer.

R
Old 03-19-2002, 07:19 AM

A190
Thanks for this help Richard...

I have now bought the V5 CDROM from someone in Germany for EUR 150 including post and insurance... exactly as you said - under £100.

There seems to be a few "traders" that dribble a CD or two every other day or so onto the market. Who knows where they are getting them???

I didn't buy from them. Instead I found what looked like a genuine seller that spoke english. Just a few points though for those of you reading this who might be thinking of doing this yourself...

--- You do not need to go to eBay.de to buy from sellers in Germany. I found out that by going to eBay.co.uk and searching Germany you get the same items but most of the page is in english! Of course, what the sellers writes is in german but I cut and pasted that into http://www.freetranslation.com and got a free translation. I used that translation service to write to the seller to ask if they would sell to the UK.

--- Most of the sellers said on their eBay listing that they would only post to Germany but when asked by email they all agreed that they would be willing to post to UK providing I could find a way to send them the money.

--- It seems that in Germany it is normal for the buyer to pay the eBay charges so don't forget to add that to the price because over here the seller usually pays that.

--- I am using TipaNet, through my bank, to send the money directly to the sellers bank. It costs just £8 with no foreign exchange charges but that also needs to be allowed for. Note also that this service takes 6-8 days. You will need the bank code, account name and number and the name and address of the branch.

--- Insured postage was EUR 15

I was a bit uncertain about buying from Germany but it looks as though it will all work out OK.

Paul
Old 03-19-2002, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heres a little Ebay Tip :-)

You used to be able to search in "all" countries for stuff,. rather than just searching in a country. This was useful and is still possible.

For instance, on ebay.co.uk, goto search, and search for what you want (such as teleatlas)

Then, look at the URL for the
&ebaytag1=ebayctry&ebaytag1code=X
(where X is 3, if you are in the UK)

Change the X to 0 - which means all countries

Cheers
Richard