E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Trunk Leak!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trunk Leak!!!!!!

Ever since I purchased the car, I always detected a faint mildew smell.
About a year ago, I decided to put the owner's manual zipper bag in the passenger side cargo net in the trunk. Somehow it got water damage, so I chalked it up to water dripping in when I would open the trunk after a hand wash.

Now mind you, I've now owned this car for 4.5 years and I've only NOW noticed that the carpet under the previous mentioned passenger side cargo net area in the trunk is saturated after I wash it. I did a hose test and determined it is seeping in from behind the passenger taillight where it bolts to the car. There are two unused bolt holes and it's coming in from the bottom unused hole. So I examine the gasket on the taillight and it's fine, so I get out some clear RTV silicone and close those two unused holes.

I try the hose test again and it fixed that leak, but now it seeps in just to the right of the latch. I pull away the weather stipping and see tons of "mildewy" goop and the possible spot where it could now be coming in. I'll try more clear silicone and see how that goes.

Anyone else had an issue like this, or is it just my luck that I received a "Special" car.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
In addition, check the expansion rivets which can become deformed if removed and should be replaced rather than reused. If you want PM email address and I will send the DTB.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
I had water getting into the trunk lid after going through the car wash or heavy rain. My prior MB Dealer did a warranty repair but the service rep misunderstood my description of the problem. Their repair was to replace the rubber stripping around the trunk compartment..........which sounds like what you need, i.e., pull off the old stuff and install the new. They had to order the part......check with your MB Dealer Parts Dept. Incidently, it was nice to get a new stripping seal around my trunk, but I still got water into the truck lid. The second warranty repair included ordering and installing and painting a new low trunk lid piece with rubber gasket...........but it starting leaking again after 12 months. This time I DIY because it was too much a pain to go to the MB Dealer again and have them repeat the last repair. I applied 2-3 coats of Ruscoe Permanent Sealer myself in the seam between the upper and lower portions of the rear trunk lid........that did the trick and it's not visible using this clear sealer. This stuff is great, water proof, and is touted to bond to aluminum, steel, glass, wood, masonry, ceramics, fiberglass and rubber, and can be applied under water......I've used it for my other vehicles too, such as re-glueing the outside driver's rear mirror that came off and re-glueing weather strip.

Last edited by mcleantmw; 01-04-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Was your leak in the same area as mine?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by E500 AMG Sport
No, my leak was in the trunk lid..............no water was entering the trunk.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213 E220 2017
Exclamation 211 trunk leak

Hi,
I have a leak on my w211.
The water is comming down to the left rear tail light and make it through to the trunk where all the water is collected,
I have removed the seal and resealed it again, I have removed the plastics gutter on bothe sides removed the light
I have tried every thing still the problem exsists.

Please help me.
Thanks

Haroon
Haroon_yunue@hotmail.com
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

W213 E220 2017
The email address is
haroon_yunus@hotmail.com
Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Beware of water in the trunk near the spare tire area. There are electrical components down there you don't want to get damaged.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM

regarding s class
Water leak in E Class

The Law Office of Robert L. Starr is investigating complaints of water leaking into the footwell of W211 E Class Mercedes vehicles. If you have any information regarding this condition, and you are willing to provide this information, please either email Robert L. Starr at starresq@hotmail.com, or call 818-225-9040, and leave a message for Robert Starr.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

E500 sports pack with AMG kit
I still have this issue
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM

I ultimately fixed the issue by removing the passenger side tail light assembly and applying a coat of clear RTV silicone on the back of the foam gasket where it meets the body and then re-installing it. No more leaks.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 AM

W213 E220 2017
Water in trunk

I have fixed my issue, I went to mercedes dealer told them about the water leaking in to the trunk form the left side.

I had to replace the foam gasket which fits under the light, that has resolved all my problems.

The foam gaskets on the rear lights are the same for both sides, try swapping them round, that should solve your problem or get a new gasket from the dealers.

Haroon
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM

2003 E500; 2003 ML320
Smile Trunk Leak 03 E500 repaired for $3.49 & 30 minutes

Had my 2003 E500 trunk (and Hood and roof)replaced due to hail damage recently. I then noticed the base of the inside liner of trunk was soaked after hand or auto car wash...I confirm the culprit in my case was water getting in at the trunk 2-part seam that runs above the license plate. $3.49 for GE Premium waterproof clear silicone(& it states it is sun and freeze proof). Used painters masking tape to protect both sides of the seam as I SLOWLY filled crack with one seamless line. The other trick is fill about 6-8 inches, then with clean finger run along silicone to create smooth slightly inward concave watertight barrier, then continue same process another 6-8 inches, so that in quick order you have professional seal. It has passed the car wash tests. $3.49 and a little time. The GE clear seal is avaialble at the LARGE BIG BOX Discount Giant we all know---

Last edited by 03e500mb; 01-07-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 PM

05 E320
Noticed all of my overhead functions in the driver seat stopped working. Can't pull down my sun visor... I check my trunk and there was water were the spare tire is and around the battery. Can anybody help me
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 PM

05 E320
Now the screen in my car will illuminate and say Mercedes Benz with the logo but won't go to audio , map, or any other screen besides turning it on and off it doesn't work at all.... Can only turn and off and on
Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 PM

e55 amg ml350
same problem on my 2005 e55 amg

Originally Posted by 03e500mb
Had my 2003 E500 trunk (and Hood and roof)replaced due to hail damage recently. I then noticed the base of the inside liner of trunk was soaked after hand or auto car wash...I confirm the culprit in my case was water getting in at the trunk 2-part seam that runs above the license plate. $3.49 for GE Premium waterproof clear silicone(& it states it is sun and freeze proof). Used painters masking tape to protect both sides of the seam as I SLOWLY filled crack with one seamless line. The other trick is fill about 6-8 inches, then with clean finger run along silicone to create smooth slightly inward concave watertight barrier, then continue same process another 6-8 inches, so that in quick order you have professional seal. It has passed the car wash tests. $3.49 and a little time. The GE clear seal is avaialble at the LARGE BIG BOX Discount Giant we all know---
did you take any pictures of what you did. it sounds like a better idea than replacing the weatherstrip which may still not work. thanks, bill
Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 PM

e320 2005
Help Please

Hi all. i discovered a leak in the trunk after the instrument cluster and the gateway were gone. I tracked the the leak and found that the water enter to the trunk from under the grill box as circled in the picture. I tried to remove it to see from where exactly the water leak but i couldn't. what is this grill for, and how can i take it off. your help would be highly appreciated. thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Leak!!!!!!-upload.jpg  
Old 03-14-2021, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 e350
Originally Posted by E500 AMG Sport
I have an e350 and I have the same problem. it has now shorted out pretty much everything! It will crank but reads 7 messages. it is now in limp mode and won't even shift out of first gear.

The following users liked this post:
Gzsenterprises (07-11-2023)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:32 PM

2004 e55, 2001 clk55, 2015 gla 45
Originally Posted by mustafa226
Hi all. i discovered a leak in the trunk after the instrument cluster and the gateway were gone. I tracked the the leak and found that the water enter to the trunk from under the grill box as circled in the picture. I tried to remove it to see from where exactly the water leak but i couldn't. what is this grill for, and how can i take it off. your help would be highly appreciated. thank you.
i know this is an old post, but im dealing with water in the same spot you have circled. I sealed my tailight, still water. What was your solution?
Old 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM

2008 E63
Originally Posted by Jaydrago
i know this is an old post, but im dealing with water in the same spot you have circled. I sealed my tailight, still water. What was your solution?
I just found water around the spare tire well perimeter (2008 E63). Looking at the dust trails where the water went, it appears to have come from the trunk seal, and enters the trunk near the latch. The key, as I learned on an old BMW, is to look very closely at the path the water takes, as evidenced by the dust trails the water leaves. Pulling up the trunk seal, it is wet underneath in the channel where it attaches to the body. Am going to order a new trunk seal and figure out what sealer to apply in the channel of the new trunk seal. Will see what our local dealer says / recommends, they have been great with service on the car. I did look a both taillights, and found (in my case, so far) no evidence or trails of water / dust from the taillight areas. Gotta say, WTF with designing a seal such that gravity does not help keep the water out.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:33 AM

e55 amg ml350
Trunk leak

Paul: all I did was put waterproof silicone sealer as shown inside the trunk lid. I also stopped going through high pressure car washes.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes s430 2003 Mercedes s500 2005 Mercedes s55 AMG
2002 Mercedes s430 TRUNK LEAK now in LIMP MODE

Originally Posted by Joshua North
I have an e350 and I have the same problem. it has now shorted out pretty much everything! It will crank but reads 7 messages. it is now in limp mode and won't even shift out of first gear.
Hey I'm having this issue with my 2002 Mercedes s430. I bought it this way thinking that it just needed the transmission conductor plate replaced because I had similar shifting problem and fixed that already on my 2003 s500 now it runs great. BUT once I finally figured out how to get the trunk open I saw that the wells where the CD changer and battery were in the bottom of each side of the truck were soaking wet and the radio would turn on but there was no sound. I found out the car is in LIMP MODE and won't shift out of first gear. It's pulling code P0600 (reset ECM) I don't know what to do about resetting the ECM I don't want to go to the dealer because it will cost an arm and a leg... I have seen websites and places where you can send in the ECM or ECU and they will test/repair/clone your ECU and send it back to you. Has anyone ran into these problems and what do you do to fix the leak and also resetting the ECM? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks - Jake