GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK v Q5

Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 2010 GLK350
GLK v Q5

Trying to decide between the GLK and Audi Q5. Looking for a small SUV for taking dog along and good in snow. My C55 is strictly no dogs or snow.....would like to hear how you decided on GLK and if Q5 was a consideration.....
Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM

GLS550
I looked at both, here's what it came down to for me:

(1) Felt like the GLK was a little shorter and had a better view out of the back end. I don't know if this is actually the case, but it is how I felt in the car. Coming from a 350Z I didn't want more car than I absolutely needed.

(2) Audi MMI v. MB COMAND. The Audi MMI is a royal PITA to use. Doing something as simple as direct tuning to a preset station on the MMI seemed to take a million clicks, wheel scrolls, etc. On the MB COMAND all you do is reach up to the dash and hit the button of the preset you want. This is just one example. But for a system I would be using on a daily basis the Audi MMI was needlessly complex and difficult...it would have frustrated me to no end.

(3) Space. The rear suspension travel in the Q5 encroaches into the trunk space to such an extent you cannot place a bag of golf clubs width-wise across the trunk. This, I think, is just stupid.

(4) Also in the hatch, the privacy cover. The GLK uses the old standard rolling cover that you pull aft to cover the trunk contents. The Q5 has this fixed board that sits in the trunk and is tethered through two cords to the hatch so that a portion lifts up every time you open the hatch. As with the MMI v. COMAND, this seemed to be a stupid design for an item that I would be using on a very frequent basis and something that would aggravate me on a near daily basis.

(5) Roof rails. I'm actually going to use them. The GLK system was slightly nicer for me and my needs and were quieter than the Q5 system.

(6) Dealer experience. MB wins hands down. I went to two Audi dealers, neither called me back. Neither had much inventory. Plus, the MB dealer was much more knowledgeable about the product and had a much nicer service area.

(7) Deal. MB was willing to cut a better deal. That made the GLK far cheaper than the Q5, given the already sizable price difference between the vehicles before negotiations. Given that huge price difference I did not see what I was getting for all the extra money spent on the Q5. I asked the Audi dealer about this and the reply was "we're already competitively priced so we won't do more than a few hundred off MSRP."

(8) There are far fewer GLKs on the road where I live than Q5s. I like having a vehicle that fewer people have.

With that said, it was a very close call for me. I actually started my search thinking the Q5 was going to be the way to go. Then the Q5 fell to the back of the pack with the GLK350 and Volvo XC60 taking the lead. Then Ford sold Volvo to a Chinese company which eliminated the difficult decision for me.

Had the GLK about 3 weeks now and couldn't be happier.

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Don't have a dog and don't have snow. Let's be clear.... Both cars are good cars.
The Q5 is sporty with a little class.
The GLK is classy with a little sport. To me, it really got down to style.

I am so tired of the products that have been developed using the Suppository School of Automotive Design.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 PM

2011BMW Z4 IS, 2011 Ford Raptor, 2010 GLK
Have to agree with most of what HBirdman80 said. Was down to the Q5, X3, and GLK. I do not think the GLK handles as well as the Q5 or X3, but the ride quality was better, and I felt I was getting a lot more for the price I was paying. My only complaints with the GLK are MPG (18 combined), lack of low end from the audio system, and the steering feel. The NAV works well, great visabilty all the way around, plush ride, works well in the snow, and more than enought room for two adults, dog, and what ever else you want to throw in the back.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 PM

GLS550
Remember, Audi will pimp the Quattro. I have no idea if it is any better or worse than 4MATIC. I know they say it can drive up a ski jump or some crazy thing like that, but let's be honest, when are you going to drive up a ski jump?

I also think I saw a pet divider for the GLK. I know the GLK has anchors all over the back half of the car for a variety of attachments. If you're one of those people that puts the dog in the back end, I think you'll find the GLK much better.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Check out this site:

http://www.driving.ca/videos/index.html
Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM

GLK 350
pattyg, sounds like you're in a situation i was also in....

i was absolutely torn between the Q5 and GLK. Even though the Q5 was tearing at my love for luxury and fancy options, I went with the GLK because it's a bit more sporty and meaner looking (yet still has the luxury of a Benz... i'm young, so i wanted to find a balance between the two) and the price was better for the options that come with it. That... and I also have a dog and am fairly active (skiing, camping, biking, hiking with dog, etc.).

I drive my dog around in the trunk of the GLK with no problem and throw down a dog cover so the hair doesn't stick. Would've been a bit more complicated with the Q5 because the trunk seemed to have some weird angles.

Anyway, maybe my opinion is biased now that i'm an owner, but i'm pretty happy with the purchase! And the 4matic w/ winter tires is a blast to drive in the snow!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM

2005 C55, 2010 GLK350
Thanks everyone, your feedback has been very helpful.

I agree with the comments about dealers....the Audi people are not offering much $$ for my C55 AMG (citing the high >100K miles) while the MB dealer is willing to give a decent trade in......
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
There was a thread a few months ago, and a few down from you where this was also discussed.

We own both. My wife desires the GLK because she "loves" the size, the boxy style and the feel... she also loves being treated like a queen by the dealership. It's a fine baby Benz... a little rough out of the gate when it was introduced but very nice all around. We all enjoy it very much.

We also recently bought the Q for our kid.... and I must confess, I prefer the Q over the GLK.... there's more rear seat room; the steering feel on the Q is superior in my opinion over the Benz. Road feel and feed back are precise and clear with the steering wheel self centering after a hard turn, along with very little understeer... tight!

Just my 2 cents... but what do I know... I drive a Nissan.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
I'm in the same boat, it's down to the FX35 or the GLK. I know the FX is bigger, but we have 2 kids, 4 and 8, so the back seat is an issue with the GLK. We will be going on road trips, and want something that handles good and is comfortable on the road.
I like the interior of the FX better, handling is about the same. For the same price, the FX has more options, (in Canada anyway) I have a VPP @ Infiniti as well. I think the gas mileage is the same in both, on the sticker anyway, can anyone confirm that?
I almost like the outside styling more on the GLK, but the FX doesn't look like much else on the road either.
The other thing that concerns me on the GLK is the 20" rims, I worried that if you hit a pot hole, the rim will get bent.
What to do, what to do?!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Something to read. It's FX50, but many things apply to FX35.
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...niti-fx50-awd/
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM

glk
I dun't think audi will do better than the 4matic without it's mechanic all time quattro...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I test drove the Q5 before I got the GLK. I thought the Nav on the Q5 in 3D mode is the best I have ever seen. They ride the same but it ended up with who could meet my numbers at the end of the day. The Q5 also had heated rear seats and the panoramic roof looked bigger.
To be honest it comes down to which one you like the best. The GLK actually sold me on its look, there is no other Compact SUV that looks like it (ok maybe the X3), while the Q5 has the very popular rounded look that seems to dominate the styling right now.
The daytime LEDs on the Q5 like all the 2009-2010 models is begining to wear a bit thin on me, but I did at first think they were cool.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Audi Q5
Run as fast from the Q5

I am a current and hopefully former owner of a Q5, I have had a major transmission issue within the first week of ownership, I had a hard downshift
from 2nd to 1st and a " jerking " and " lurch" from a dead stop, 1st a software
reflash was done, 3 days in shop, then the valve body was replaced, 25 days in shop, then a transmission was replaced, total of 56 days and counting, the replacement transmission did not work so another one was ordered, Audi corporate refused to replace the vehicle after the 2nd repair failed, I still
do not have the car in my possession and had to go the route of a lemon law attorney, finally Audi called and said now they want to work something out, hey, it's too late, I will be receiving a repurchase under the lemon law, I surely do not want another one, their are other issues that othe people are having with the transmission, also water pump issues, the GLK was my second choice as the Q5 was a sportier ride, I would have gladly traded 3/4 of the sportier ride for more reliability with the GLK, you have been warned !
Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Ours runs great!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by ductman
I am a current and hopefully former owner of a Q5, I have had a major transmission issue within the first week of ownership, I had a hard downshift
from 2nd to 1st and a " jerking " and " lurch" from a dead stop, 1st a software
reflash was done, 3 days in shop, then the valve body was replaced, 25 days in shop, then a transmission was replaced, total of 56 days and counting, the replacement transmission did not work so another one was ordered, Audi corporate refused to replace the vehicle after the 2nd repair failed, I still
do not have the car in my possession and had to go the route of a lemon law attorney, finally Audi called and said now they want to work something out, hey, it's too late, I will be receiving a repurchase under the lemon law, I surely do not want another one, their are other issues that othe people are having with the transmission, also water pump issues, the GLK was my second choice as the Q5 was a sportier ride, I would have gladly traded 3/4 of the sportier ride for more reliability with the GLK, you have been warned !
wow that sux...good thing you won't be trading 3/4 of the sportier ride more like 2/10

Good luck with figuring things out
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM

2005 C55, 2010 GLK350
whoo hoo.....bought my glk two weeks ago. Love it! So does the dog, and the golf clubs......thanks for all the good advice.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 AM

GLK 4Matic
Originally Posted by pattyg
whoo hoo.....bought my glk two weeks ago. Love it! So does the dog, and the golf clubs......thanks for all the good advice.

Love to hear it and good luck with the new ride!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by pipicyx
I dun't think audi will do better than the 4matic without it's mechanic all time quattro...
The Q5 has a Torsen diff (40/60 split), which is a mechanical.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM

GLK
GLK Warning

I bought a brand new GLK, and have one huge issue. Do NOT buy this car if you have an infant or plan a family. You can not fit a baby seat facing backwards, and have anyone fit comfortably in the front seat. MB markets to families but this car does not have the room. My fault for not checking before buying.

If no baby then it is a wonderful car. Fun to drive, and very nice overall. Do recommend getting the power back door.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM

GLK
Not sure what kind of infant seat you have, but the one we had fits fine. The passenger seat is not quite as far back as I would have liked, but there is still enough room for me at 6' 2", and my legs are average to long for that height.

You do have to get it situated so as not to hit the screens that come with the rear seat entertainment package. But it is possible.

But it would be a good idea for those considering this to take their infant seat to the dealer just to make sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM

GLK
Wow

We have a basic Graco car seat you can buy anywhere. The rear facing kind, and my wife who is only 5' 3" does not have leg room. We have tried all different angles. To have the level recommended by the car seat, we can not fit. You definitely peaked my interest so I might try a few things.

I too recommend you bring your car seat with you, and give it a try.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I had an Audi 5000 back in the day and I swore I would never buy another Audi even if Jesus Himself gave me a written guarantee.

I really like my GLK.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM

2021 GLE 350
I just leased a new 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T on Saturday and I love it. Could not be happier

Still love my '09 C300 Sport though too...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Mikenh_09
We have a basic Graco car seat you can buy anywhere. The rear facing kind, and my wife who is only 5' 3" does not have leg room. We have tried all different angles. To have the level recommended by the car seat, we can not fit. You definitely peaked my interest so I might try a few things.

I too recommend you bring your car seat with you, and give it a try.
Seriously? Pics? If you can't fit baby seat in the back of GLK then a lot of cars must be out of question for you. I know nothing about baby seats, but I'm 6 foot and feet pretty comfortably in the back seat with 5.5 driver. Maybe you should try different babyseat instead.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK v Q5