GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB Tex vs. Leather

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe (C207)
MB Tex vs. Leather

Has anyone compared side by side? Looking to get a GLK in N. California and there are NO local dealers in the Bay Area that have a leather GLK. All MB-Tex and they are pushing it's "benefits" hard.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
There have been several posts on this topic. Ultimately, I think it comes down to whether you have the $2,500 to spend (Canadian price) on the option. Also, if you can't find one on the lot with leather, is it worth it to you to wait and order one that does?

IMO, pros of leather: - looks better, smells better, feels better, includes interior lighting package, more colour options.

cons of leather: may not last as long as "rubber seats", expensive.

Here are two picks (middle of the thread) which show the big difference in look...

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ml#post3837202
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Most of MBs have mbtex. Looks the same and easier to take care off. After a year looks like new and all I did is wiped it down a couple of times.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Most of MBs have mbtex. Looks the same and easier to take care off.

Most GLKs have mbtex... not most MBs... Mostly the GLKs, Bs and Cs have mbtex cause these are entry level MBs... it is cheaper and that is THE ONLY REASON.

Last edited by JT01; 03-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Most leather in cars these days... actually isn't fully *real* anyways......

Kinda rhymes.....

Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by JT01

Most GLKs have mbtex... not most MBs... Mostly the GLKs, Bs and Cs have mbtex cause these are entry level MBs... it is cheaper and that is THE ONLY REASON.
Add to that E, ML, SLK and those make most of the mbs on the road. Many prefer mbtex, Check discussions on other forums, this has been discussed many times.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Here's an online source!

MBTEX, sometimes called "Taxi Leather" is a vinyl-like Leather-looking synthetic material that has been commonly used in Mercedes-Benz Vehicles for many years now. MBTEX is a a sort of rubbery-feeling material that has a grained look similar to leather but usually more uniform than leather. To the unknowing passenger (and sometimes owners) MBTEX is actually what you are sitting on, and not actually real leather.

In many newer Mercedes-Benz models "MBTEX with Leather inserts" is the standard equipment. Full leather is often an option and not included without an additional cost. Many Mercedes-Benz owners have probably bought their car not realizing that the seats are not full leather.

MBTEX can be very difficult to tell from Leather, as without really close inspection there is not a real "obvious" difference. Most cars that are sold with "MBTEX with Leather inserts" have the center parts of the seats (the parts you sit on and your back rests against) as real leather, and the seat bolsters, sides, headrests, armrests and seat backs as MBTEX. You can often tell the parts of your seats that are real leather as they are usually perforated (the perforation is necessary in order to allow the leather to "breath"). This real leather is often the panels where your bottom sits and where your back rests against the seat. There is also often sections of real leather on the panels. Everything else is usually MBTEX, unless you got the full leather option of course.

Many dealers and people who are familiar with MBTEX will actually recommend it over Leather. It is commonly joked that you can tell if a 10 year old car has leather or MBTEX. The car with MBTEX interior will still look new while the car with leather will look worn. MBTEX is much more durable than leather, easier to clean and requires less attention. MBTEX is also a good idea to have on the seat bolsters as this is an area that is commonly worked well by drivers and passengers entering and exiting the vehicle. Leather bolsters will eventually crease and these creases over time develop into cracks. MBTEX does not have this crease problem.

MBTEX will outlast leather many times over and most individuals can not tell its difference from leather. MBTEX is an excellent choice for anyone who has children, or plans on owning their Mercedes-Benz for a long time.

Last edited by glkbeige; 03-07-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Talk yourself into it if you want...

You have to pay extra for leather... not the other way around!

You buy an S class or any AMG model and what upholstery does it come with?

Exactly...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I don't really get your point.

Yes leather cost more and nice to feel, nobody argues about it. Leather also boosts resale from what I read (don't know why maybe compared to cloth it does).

As driver's car upholstery it's not the best option.

You have to pay extra for a lot of things. That doesn't make them better automatically. You have to pay extra to get race track suspension on AMG cars, does it make it better everyday car?

Here's M3's seat after a year, some like worn leather look some don't.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I love MB-Tex. I have a 24 year-old 190e and the seats look and feel new.
The following users liked this post:
rp2813 (08-09-2018)
Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
I think having real leather vs a substitute has a very negligible effect on resale value imo.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
MB Tex holds up better. Let's face it too, most people aren't careful with the seats, getting in and out, etc. Kinds are outright cruel to cars. I don't have kids or others in the car, so I could probably make leather hold up ok.

However, my biggest reason to go MB Tex if available, it still feels very nice compared to fabric, and it doesn't kill an animal. Do you really need to sit on an animal in a car?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by mac911
However, my biggest reason to go MB Tex if available, it still feels very nice compared to fabric, and it doesn't kill an animal. Do you really need to sit on an animal in a car?
Good grief...what are you, some sort of an animal rights activist spreading disinformation?

With few exceptions, the animal hides used in the auto industry are by-products of the slaughter house process to produce the nation's meat supply. You should be glad those hides are being used for something rather than merely being discarded as waste products. Actually, very little of a slaughtered animal is actually thrown away, most is used directly by the meat packing houses or otherwise recycled.

So don't worry that some animal is being killed to make your car seats. You're merely recycling part of an animal already destined for the food chain. That skin would otherwise be discarded in a landfill if there wasn't a market for hides to make shoes, coats, car seats and you name it.

Now I will agree with your premise when it comes to things like mink coats. Those animals have no eatable food value and indeed are killed strictly for their pelts. And I disapprove of that.

But not so when it comes to the hides used to make leather car seats. Those animals aren't slaughtered for their hides; rather, for their meat value. Your leather car seat is merely industry at work using slaughterhouse by-products which are useful and marketable.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM

2016 C450 AMG
I agree with NYC GLK! Yes, most benzes these days do come with MB TEX! MOST, not all! When I say most I mean- C, SLK, E, GLK, ML! Of course if your Buying an S at $100k plus or a CL and SL at $125-$160k plus then your getting LEATHER! But the majority of the less expensive vehicles that MB sells is most likely coming with MB TEX.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 PM

2016 C450 AMG
And yes it's easier to clean, and stays Perfect after years of use! So whoever feels like arguing, save it! I've owned both, and the TEX wears way better after time!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 AM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
All I know is that I've owned leather & MB-Tex and the MB-Tex is a lot easier and faster to clean and maintain. This allows me more time to drive the vehicle rather than cleaning it for appearances.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Everyone who has MBtex continues to argue over its longevity over leather.

Point taken! Agreed... it is easier to maintain and it is cheaper. THAT'S ALL!

However, you all insist on ignoring the fact that the seats look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!! The entire surface construction of the upholstery is different... plus the interior lighting package... plus more colour options... plus the comfort of sitting on a natural vs synthetic upholstery.

If we are really gonna keep discussing which is "better", then more than the ease of use needs to be addressed!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Everyone who has MBtex continues to argue over its longevity over leather.

Point taken! Agreed... it is easier to maintain and it is cheaper. THAT'S ALL!

However, you all insist on ignoring the fact that the seats look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!! The entire surface construction of the upholstery is different... plus the interior lighting package... plus more colour options... plus the comfort of sitting on a natural vs synthetic upholstery.

If we are really gonna keep discussing which is "better", then more than the ease of use needs to be addressed!

The fact of which on is better depends on what u want? I've had leather in countless cars and trucks, and after a year, its looks very worn! So to me, I like the MB Tex. Does the leather smell better? YES, of course it does. But to me that"s about it. I like the ease of just spaying some cleaner on there and it looking brand spanking new. But that just me. Depends on what the person likes.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by Sean76NYC
The fact of which on is better depends on what u want? I've had leather in countless cars and trucks, and after a year, its looks very worn! So to me, I like the MB Tex. Does the leather smell better? YES, of course it does. But to me that"s about it. I like the ease of just spaying some cleaner on there and it looking brand spanking new. But that just me. Depends on what the person likes.
Thank you for your thoughts... but again... completely ignoring the other issues worth discussing when weighing the two options.

Let me put it this way then... I suspect the worn leather seats will still look better than the new looking MB tex seats simply because of the nicer seat and stitching pattern... kinda like how a broken in designer leather jacket looks better than a brand new vinyl department store jacket.

Am I the only GLK owner that has seen the actual difference in the seats themselves?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Thank you for your thoughts... but again... completely ignoring the other issues worth discussing when weighing the two options.

Let me put it this way then... I suspect the worn leather seats will still look better than the new looking MB tex seats simply because of the nicer seat and stitching pattern... kinda like how a broken in designer leather jacket looks better than a brand new vinyl department store jacket.

Am I the only GLK owner that has seen the actual difference in the seats themselves?

I'm going to put this politly, It's not that your the only one who likes Leather! I'll put it to you this way, if you went to a Mercedes dealereship right now, and they had 10 GLK's on the lot, 9 of them would probably have MB TEX. This truck was put out by Mercedes to appeal to a group of people that wanted a Mercedes, but however were looking to keep the cost down. I mean they advertise the Vehicle for $30 somthing Grand in commercials. So it's not that the leather is bad, but most people looking at this vehicle, I said most, not all, are looking to keep there total cost down. That is why Leather is an option and not a standard, and vice versa. Now if you go and look at an S class, most likely it's coming with leather, plain and simple! But maybe there are people out there that do own S classes, that would want MB Tex because it's easier to maintain, or they have children, etc. So nobody is ignoring your thoughts, but as they say everyone has there own opinion. It's my everyday Vehicle, so the TEX works great. And next year it'll look brand new. My porsche came with Leather, my Lexus, my Audi, and a few Benzes that i've owned. But your talking about Vehicles that are much higher priced. I speak for a few when I say suit yourself, and enjoy your leather if that's what you like. Either way, I think it's a really cool truck ,and i"m enjoying it. Hope you are as well!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
I think MBtex is great! Its a great way to keep costs down, and it looks great to boot.

Most people would not be able to tell the difference, and its about 100x better than cloth!!

I have always had a car with leather, but if I had leatherette or MBtex etc. I would not mind it one bit.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
I agree with JT01, there's more to leather than just the convenience and time it takes to care for it. But it's also an expense (bundled with the interior lighting package) which some folks would rather put into a different option set.

Having said that, I've got leather in my GLK and like it...a lot. It certainly dresses up the vehicle. But I will say though, the GLK leather is thicker and coarser than what you get in the E- and S-classes. My dealer didn't have a GLK with leather to look at so I figured it would be the same as what's in the pricier models. Bad assumption on my part, the leather is a step down. But I'm sure it's going to wear well...over 10k miles and no discernible abrasion whatsoever. OTOH, it's not as soft and classy as the leather in my 911.

Lastly, I might very well opt for the standard seats if I were replacing the GLK today...except I'd never get MB-Tex past my wife.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would love the leather seats but u can't order the alu trim with leather? only MB-Tex? i really don't like the MB walnut wood trim...
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 AM

E550 Coupe (C207)
I saw a 2010 GLK at a dealer in San Francisco with leather and aluminum, so it must be orderable.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
I have aluminum trim with light grey leather. Love it. Real reason why we picked leather was the availability of a lighter shade to contrast again the dark grey exterior.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Tex vs. Leather