C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Power Steering Leak

Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Power Steering Leak

So I started to notice that I was getting a slight wine when I turn, so I decided to check the power steering reservoir and I noticed that it was low. So I did a further investigation and was able to find a slight leak under the power steering pump, assuming it's the power steering pump because it's underneath the reservoir.

I was wondering if there was some sort of seal that I can buy in order to fix this leak or is my pump bad? I did a search and found that the reservoir has a filter in it and that the proper fluid for our cars is Pentosin CHF11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid.

The only other things that I have read states that the rack and pinion will leak and that it could just be a tube.

I was wondering if any one could guide me to the right info? I'm really hoping it's just a seal that I can replace, shouldn't be too tough of a job by the looks of it, I just need the proper part numbers and if it just a seal.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by loudandheard
So I started to notice that I was getting a slight wine when I turn, so I decided to check the power steering reservoir and I noticed that it was low. So I did a further investigation and was able to find a slight leak under the power steering pump, assuming it's the power steering pump because it's underneath the reservoir.

I was wondering if there was some sort of seal that I can buy in order to fix this leak or is my pump bad? I did a search and found that the reservoir has a filter in it and that the proper fluid for our cars is Pentosin CHF11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid.

The only other things that I have read states that the rack and pinion will leak and that it could just be a tube.

I was wondering if any one could guide me to the right info? I'm really hoping it's just a seal that I can replace, shouldn't be too tough of a job by the looks of it, I just need the proper part numbers and if it just a seal.
I'm dealing with this exact same problem. Mine's a pretty slow leak though. I refilled the reservoir about two weeks ago and the whine went away and hasn't come back yet. It's hard to tell, but I think my leakk may be the tube, which is kind of an expensive fix (for a tube). I remember reading a thread about it a while back. If I figure anything out, I'll share.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
I'm dealing with this exact same problem. Mine's a pretty slow leak though. I refilled the reservoir about two weeks ago and the whine went away and hasn't come back yet. It's hard to tell, but I think my leakk may be the tube, which is kind of an expensive fix (for a tube). I remember reading a thread about it a while back. If I figure anything out, I'll share.
What kind of fluid are you using? Where are you noticing the leak? I feel the leak right below the pump underneath the pulley on the driver side.

I bought this one just now off of ebay, I feel like I paid too much for just some power steering fluid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pento...ltDomainQ5f100
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You’re using the correct fluid.
Respectfully suggest that everything in the area first be thoroughly cleaned to help ascertain the leak’s true source.

We've a seal (000 466 18 80) between the reservoir proper and pump. Save for a defective ‘oil tank’ (000 460 01 83), there are few other places from which fluid can leak in that vicinity. Must be noted my PS system puked enough fluid during its virginal HPDE weekend - through a marginal $10 cap/dipstick (000 466 09 68) - to manifest symptoms similar to those which you’re experiencing. Also, two crush washers (N007603 016105) seal the outlet hose’s banjo fitting to the pump.

The only other hose fitting attaching to the reservoir is its return line, secured by a dastardly pinch clamp. Since it’s on the low pressure side of the system, ditching it for more resilient worm drive hardware can help to rule it out as a culprit of your seepage.

Beyond those simple fixes, you’re well into the more costly and challenging side of the high pressure circuit. I’ve subsequently replaced a fair portion of that as well.
Good luck.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Take the power steering pulley off, and check to see if there's fluid built up on the inside of the pulley. If so the pump is bad... The reservoir gasket can go bad, splinter listed the part number. It's a good place to start. In my case I had to replace the pump, and pressure line. Just those two add up to nearly a grand... Did all the work myself. You can get the power steering fluid from your local Mercedes dealership.

The only other hose fitting attaching to the reservoir is its return line, secured by a dastardly pinch clamp.
That clamp is terrible...
Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Ouch, I'm not going to sleep well tonight!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Well, I found a bit of info on how to remove the power steering pump, but I just don't know if this is the problem that I am having. I'm going to wait until the fluid comes in and then on the weekend I'll take a closer look at where the leak can be.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
The hardest part is getting at the rear inside bolts. C32 pump is different to a certain degree than what you have listed. Here's a photograph with the pump removed... Notice the additional support bracket.