E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Reset after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320
Reset after replacing battery

After replacing the battery, the radio, windows etc. are dead. The usual reset method (unplug battery, etc) or waiting 24 hours do not work. Fuses are fine.

Any ideas for a reset? The owner's manual suggests leaving the key in the number one position for 24 hours. Anyone ever try this?

(1998 E320 wagon)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 AM

You have to resynchronize the windows & the sunroof. It's all in the owner's manual. Visit Benzworld.org & search this as well. Also, you need the code for the radio. Go to a dealer, show them your registration (proof of ownership) and they will give you the radio code. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 AM

1998 E320
Windows, doorlocks, windows dead after battery change

I have the radio code. That is not the problem. If the radio is dead, how do you reset the code? When I say dead, I mean no power. All fuses are OK. I have tried what the manuals say to do, including letting it sit for 24 hours with the key in the number one position.

Apparently the security system is locked out. I'm trying to get around that. If the dealer doesn't know how, perhaps I'm screwed.

I was hoping someone might actually feel helpful, read the question, and offer a suggestion, not just try to sound smart.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
the description of your vehicle's ailments are somewhat cryptic and can't
really be relied upon for a thorough diagnosis. as such, it will depend on
a bit of back and forth so i dont think it's helpful to get snarky when folks
may be showing good faith in their attempts to help.

if the windows and radio are all DOA in terms of power, this is beyond a
simple reset. resets are procedures used to synchronize already functioning
appliances....which need a little tweaking.

your situation is a little higher upstream.

It is unusual for those unrelated parts of the vehicle to show power outage.

I would start with fuses (again). though you've indicated that they have been
verified as operational, there is some question I have in that I'm not clear how
this determination was made, ie continuity, visual, and which fuses/block
were checked.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM

2001 E320 4matic
Along with the Raymond, the fuses should be pulled to check. Some of the cheaper fuse checkers will ring out with continuity. Continuity can come from other components.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM

1998 E320
security code reset

Sorry if I'm cryptic. The windows, radio and locks are like the parrot in the Monty Python skit, utterly and completely dead. Really. Or were. The fuses really are good.

This is a common problem with an easy answer if someone would only fess up, but it seems to be a secret of the order of the grand Mercedes. I gave up and paid the $200. At least it was quick. This makes for an expensive battery!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM

2001 E320 4matic
So it boiled down to the battery? Makes me wonder if there are power diodes in the electrical system. We use them in my line of work to bias a circuit to not allow current to flow if voltage dips below a certain voltage.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 AM

1998 E320
No. The battery was not the problem. This thread was about resetting the security codes AFTER changing the battery. Get it? Normally you would provide power to your cars electrical system while changing the battery, but if the battery dies suddenly, you're out of luck if the system locks you out, even if you have the radio code. You have to pay the dealer a couple hundred dollars to reset it after buying a new battery.

Once again, let me say the fuses were good.(Examine new fuse visually, then test with ohm meter. Use this fuse to replace old fuse.Toss old fuse.)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
my 99 is an odd one then. I can remove the battery and reconnect the next
day, and the resets I'm needing are windows, roof, radio, etc. and which are
done by me. i am not needing dealer assistance. I wonder what changed
between our models?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM

E500
Have you tried the secondary battery under your engine Hood?

if still no power maybe your alternator or your spare battery up-front engine compartment will I had to do all the reset codes after I got my power =bradleydad;4107747]I have the radio code. That is not the problem. If the radio is dead, how do you reset the code? When I say dead, I mean no power. All fuses are OK. I have tried what the manuals say to do, including letting it sit for 24 hours with the key in the number one position.

Apparently the security system is locked out. I'm trying to get around that. If the dealer doesn't know how, perhaps I'm screwed.

I was hoping someone might actually feel helpful, read the question, and offer a suggestion, not just try to sound smart.[/QUOTE]