C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

No power no cranking no dashlights Car wont start help

Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
No power no cranking no dashlights Car wont start help

Hey everyone,

As the title says, my car won't start. When I put the smartkey in the ignition nothing happens, no beeps like usual or the dashboard lights going up. The remote lock/unlock and trunk pop don't make a noise either anymore, the car is just plain dead. It was working 100% fine just a few weeks ago before I put it into storage.

Did a fuse pop? Is some security lock active on the car? What gives? Neither of my keys work. Car doesn't respond to anything, and I can't turn the smartkey since there doesnt seem to be power.

It's not the battery since I charged it full today. It was a new battery bought in February.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
when you open the door, do the lights in the cluster (odometer) light up to say what the mileage is, or do the dome lights come on? Also, when you press the lock/unlock buttons on the key, does the small red LED light flash?

Also, what year and model is your car?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:31 PM

e430
im having the same exact issue when the door open the dash lights up but key wont turn or nothing works can some one pelz hellllllllllllp
Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by mzjuicey
im having the same exact issue when the door open the dash lights up but key wont turn or nothing works can some one pelz hellllllllllllp
eis
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM

e430
whats that and were is it located n e way i can fix it myself
Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by mzjuicey
whats that and were is it located n e way i can fix it myself
EIS is the electronic ignition system or something like that.
it is what you put the key in it does a few things powers the key reads the key and i think sends the signal to the computer to start the car but that might actually be another computer but whatever. It is right where the key goes in so just one panel usually and you can see it. the problem is that they are very expensive and have to be coded and new keys. i would do some research on eis failures but it sounds like one to me. sorry for the bad news. keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM

e430
ok thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Battery died.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM

2005 C240 4Matic
Update?

Is there any update on this? I'm having the same exact problem. Key won't turn the only thing happening is the tow alarm light blinks. (2005 C240 4matic)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

c200k
I found this in the search and possibly related to my problem-

2000 German W203, m111 C200k. *Battery good, confirmed good, happens with all three keys. All batteries changed in the keys.

It did this previously on occasion, getting worse when the weather is cold-

Car doesn't open with the remote. Sometimes just go back and forth and eventually, starts responding, though not 100%, meaning the second click doesn't open the rest of the doors, for instance. Eventually works. However, not this time.

When in this mode, car doesn't start. The display lights, BUT the odometer portion just reads in all dashes "--------" just like that. Put key in, nothing. Along the way, it would finally recognize the key and start, or the solenoid in the ignition switch would lock and unlock repeatedly for about 10-20 seconds, then finally the odometer starts displaying numbers again and the car starts.

Seemed to also be able to "turn on" the computer by turning the headlights on with the driver's door open to engage the alarm for the lights on. However, it's extremely cold out here now and now the car is dead...

Any ideas on diagnostics? One of the issues are mechanics here (former east Germany) are one of two things: completely incompetent or absolute ripoff artists.

Last edited by sknight; 02-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM

C-320
Hi,

My car C320 has the same problem " When I put the smartkey in the ignition nothing happens, no beeps like usual or the dashboard lights going up. The remote lock/unlock and trunk pop don't make a noise either anymore, the car is just plain dead"

Do you know what is the problem? and how to fix it?

Thanks

As the title says, my car won't start. When I put the smartkey in the ignition nothing happens, no beeps like usual or the dashboard lights going up. The remote lock/unlock and trunk pop don't make a noise either anymore, the car is just plain dead. It was working 100% fine just a few weeks ago before I put it into storage.

Did a fuse pop? Is some security lock active on the car? What gives? Neither of my keys work. Car doesn't respond to anything, and I can't turn the smartkey since there doesnt seem to be power.

It's not the battery since I charged it full today. It was a new battery bought in February.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
This Sounds like an EIS (electronic ignition switch) as Trey says, or a SAM.

First check fuses 31, 52, 57 for start enable. Fuse 52 has been uprated from 15 to 20 amps.
Good luck!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM

C-320
Thank you a lot for your help.

I found out that the battery was dead because the dome light did not turn off itself automaticly after the back door was opened. After I changed the battery the ESP light is on. How can I turn it off?

Again thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
This Sounds like an EIS (electronic ignition switch) as Trey says, or a SAM.

First check fuses 31, 52, 57 for start enable. Fuse 52 has been uprated from 15 to 20 amps.
Good luck!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 c240 4matic wagon
turn the steering wheel all the way both ways

you will also have to sync your sunroof and windows (in your manual)

Originally Posted by Banguyen
Thank you a lot for your help.

I found out that the battery was dead because the dome light did not turn off itself automaticly after the back door was opened. After I changed the battery the ESP light is on. How can I turn it off?

Again thanks for your help.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can try turning steering lock to lock 5 times to reset the steering angle sensor. Otherwise cancel with an OBDII scanner.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM

C-320
Thank you. I followed your instructions, the problems solved\.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Great
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM

2001 e430
I have a 2001 e430 and the car stopped starting a few weeks ago, the tow truck driver, broke the eis so it turns with any key or even a screw driver, he also broke the shifter and it now shifts into any gear without any key in the eis or brake pressed. etc. i got a brand new battery also before trying anything else. the dealer says you cant use used parts so they will be of zero help for this issue.

At first I didnt know that the parts were married as they are so I got a known good key, eis, tried them and still nothing so then got the ecm still nothing. I also was investigating the brake light switch and disconnected those two connectors to it and tried to start the car seeing what would happen. the dash came up with abs, esp, and bas errors, I plugged them back in and they went away. I read you need the matched shifter as well so I got that yesterday.

long story short after replacing the key, eis, and ecm i checked the fuses (all seemed good and doubled checked that today) and now no dash lights, no blower motor fan even though the climate control lights up, you can select the temp but not fan speed as i could before even without the car starting and a non matched ecm with eis and key. what could be wrong with the car now where the dash doesnt work, the climate control doesnt work, the car still doesnt start. Its worse off than when i started ?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 PM

2010 ML 350 4Matic
W164 2010 ML 350 4matic

Same problem when the car is left outside in the sun. Its 90F outside about about 110F inside the car.

no dash lights, windows don't work. Couldn't jump start either.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E350
Dead battery-​​​​​​​no lights, keys didn't work

Hi, I was wondering if you ever solved your problem and if so what was it? I'm having a nearly identical issue.... thx

Originally Posted by AcesHigh
Hey everyone,

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E350
Same problem as this guy, and I'm hoping you can help

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
when you open the door, do the lights in the cluster (odometer) light up to say what the mileage is, or do the dome lights come on? Also, when you press the lock/unlock buttons on the key, does the small red LED light flash?

Also, what year and model is your car?
I don't believe he ever replied, but I'd like to jump in if possible....

2008 e350 sport
1. battery drained I believe, but not 100% sure... due to door being left open (or so I assume?) Now won't recognize keys and no other power at all
2. I have interior lights and initial dash display of odometer (mileage starts as ----- and then the actual number appears)
3. Some headlight functionality
4. Exterior trunk lock release works, not interior
5. Battery was charged and reading 12.48 (I'm not positive the battery did drain, but a hunch)
6. Key FOB (both) have red lights and were working perfectly prior to this. I removed and re-inserted the battery to be sure.
7. May or may not be worth mentioning (also might be in my head).... It does seem that when I insert the key in the ignition, I hear the faintest tiny sound of power to a speaker.
8. I've pulled and checked every fuse, but currently not skilled or knowledgeable enough to test each circuit or relay

I'm really desperate for some guidance on this for a lot of single dad issues. I would sincerely appreciate any help you might be able to offer.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM

MB E 350 Coupe 2010
hi

this is what jusr happened to my car ... any advice how can i solve the problem??
Originally Posted by bevin0708
Same problem when the car is left outside in the sun. Its 90F outside about about 110F inside the car.

no dash lights, windows don't work. Couldn't jump start either.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM

MB E 350 Coupe 2010
Originally Posted by Asim Khalil
this is what jusr happened to my car ... any advice how can i solve the problem??
no power no lights windows locks even remote not working
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Dead car battery?

You're gonna have to give more than 27 words worth of details to get a good answer.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:38 AM

2010 ML350 Bluetec
No power issues, please help!!!

Hey guys so I had a dead battery on my 2010 ml 350 bluetec and was trying to boost the car to get it to start. During the boosting process something seems to have gone wrong. The display with the kilometer lights up when you open the driver door and shows the font forget your key message. This car does not have the smart key and this message shows up even thought the key is not in the ignition. When I put the key in the key switch and turn nothing happens. No dash lights nothing. I also noticed that the dome lights dont work power tail gate does not function. Cannot move the power seats to get to the battery. The only thing that functions is the parking light and the hazards. I had the eis switch replaced 6 months ago at the dealer. Please help !!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: No power no cranking no dashlights Car wont start help