Sponsored by:

Track and Drag Guys - dedicated race car or daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Track and Drag Guys - dedicated race car or daily driver

Alright guys its that time for me to upgrade into something more track suitable. I will need to purchase a coupe or sports car before next track / autocross season. The big question is:

Run a dedicated race car and spend less so I can afford both a daily driver and a race car?

or

Run my daily driver as my race & track car and spend the whole budget on it?

Now I see a lot of people with time slips, drag and track events. Now are you guys using your daily driver for that? Or is your E-Class really just a weekend / event car? Now I do already have a bunch of my own factors to consider, I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I dont think any of us use our benzes as dedicated race cars. If your racecar is your daily driver and only source of transportation you are asking for trouble
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I would highly suggest getting a daily driver for that use only, and then a "toy" for you to do whatever you want with. That's the way i do it anyways :P

Aaron
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 AM

2004 E320
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I dont think any of us use our benzes as dedicated race cars. If your racecar is your daily driver and only source of transportation you are asking for trouble
I agree that benzes are less likely to be dedicated track cars. But I see so many postings on dragtimes and a few track people so it makes me wonder.

I was already going towards the weekend / track car, I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing and why.

Also, one extra question: does your insurance company cover drag and (timed and untimed) track days?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Merked E320
Also, one extra question: does your insurance company cover drag and (timed and untimed) track days?
Yes nad No

Your insurance will cover you. However, if you report a claim from a timed event they will put you on High risk for three years, or drop you altogether. Also check your policy closely as some do have a section regarding timed events and they can deny coverage. Notice that TIMED, as many road course have test and tune days where they DO NOT give you time slips not is it a timed event. AKA Beaverun calls them Flat out days.

The smart way is, well PM me as it is really not ethical
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
I agree that benzes are less likely to be dedicated track cars. But I see so many postings on dragtimes and a few track people so it makes me wonder.

I was already going towards the weekend / track car, I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing and why.

my insurance company certainly would not cover a loss on track.

The only place I can think of where a "track day" would be covered by insurance is the Nordschleife, because that's a public one-way toll road (makes me laugh every time I think about that. what a great gig those Germans are running! ), but even that might not fly.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Yes nad No

Your insurance will cover you. However, if you report a claim from a timed event they will put you on High risk for three years, or drop you altogether. Also check your policy closely as some do have a section regarding timed events and they can deny coverage. Notice that TIMED, as many road course have test and tune days where they DO NOT give you time slips not is it a timed event. AKA Beaverun calls them Flat out days.

which carrier do you use? I'm surprised they cover any activity on a track, timed or otherwise.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
DEs are usually covered as it is "driver education" and timing is not allowed. However, read your policy carefully first. IIRC, there is also track insurance that is available, but it is pricey.

Not sure what you want as a dedicated track car, but I always believed you should get something that wouldn't worry about if you balled it up on the track.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
My E63 is a weekend car, but not because it's dedicated to the track. I'll track it for fun, but I can think of a trillion better dedicated track cars in the right hands. Hell, I've been passed by cup Miata's with semi-pro drivers a ton. It is a blast on the track though.!! Big piggy slithering around

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Yes nad No

Tow it onto the road by the track..?? You should definitely call your insurance company and ask about DE's...Some cover some don't...One guy in my club here said his won't even cover parade laps if they are on a purpose built race track...

Last edited by citylightva; 08-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
Run a dedicated race car and spend less so I can afford both a daily driver and a race car?
This is by far the most reasonable and responsible option. This way...when (not if) something breaks in your track car, you can get to it when you get to it and you don't have to worry about getting to work on time. I've got to say...having been in the position of having two vehicles and beating on one, and having one vehicle and beating on it AND daily driving it...the former is a much better option.

Run my daily driver as my race & track car and spend the whole budget on it?
You're asking for trouble if you blow your wad on one vehicle to serve the purpose of daily driver AND race/track car.

Edit: One option...keep the E320 for a DD and get an E36 M3 for a track car. Those are dirt cheap these days and they're well supported in aftermarket parts circles. :2cents:

Last edited by Xander Crews; 08-12-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy

I drag race my benz but it isn't strictly a race car. That being said, it also isn't my only car so if it breaks I'm not freaking out about getting it fixed so I can get to work.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM

2004 E320
Insurance: Yeah I still have some research to do here, but I definately don't mind paying more to make sure I can do the events I want. Also I have heard that All State is track friendly

And MRAMG1 - PM'ed haha

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I drag race my benz but it isn't strictly a race car. That being said, it also isn't my only car so if it breaks I'm not freaking out about getting it fixed so I can get to work.
This sounds like more what I am going for. I do also have a few advantages because I have a 2003 C320 Wagon (used for walking the dogs and trips). And my work is only 1 mile away. I can actually get to work faster on my bicycle.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM

2004 E320
Originally Posted by Xander Crews
You're asking for trouble if you blow your wad on one vehicle to serve the purpose of daily driver AND race/track car.

Edit: One option...keep the E320 for a DD and get an E36 M3 for a track car. Those are dirt cheap these days and they're well supported in aftermarket parts circles. :2cents:
I was looking to go a little more towards the race side, and away from the daily driver. There are just so many car events with Laguna Seca 10 minutes away, as well as all the car shows with Pebble Beach and Mecham Auto Auction in Monterey, the W211 just doesn't do it for me anymore. I've been doing the "classy" thing and now I want to go with "fast hotness."

I will be most likely going with an E92 335i Couple MT Sport Package or a E46 M3. I haven't found much else in that price range that will be too much faster unless I go with a modded out Evo. And a few mods on the Beemer and it will be very quick.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
I was looking to go a little more towards the race side, and away from the daily driver. There are just so many car events with Laguna Seca 10 minutes away, as well as all the car shows with Pebble Beach and Mecham Auto Auction in Monterey, the W211 just doesn't do it for me anymore. I've been doing the "classy" thing and now I want to go with "fast hotness."

I will be most likely going with an E92 335i Couple MT Sport Package or a E46 M3. I haven't found much else in that price range that will be too much faster unless I go with a modded out Evo. And a few mods on the Beemer and it will be very quick.
How about a C5 Z06 Corvette? If You're considering an Evo (**** interior, IMO), you may as well consider a Corvette. With the money you save on maintenance (domestic versus European), you could throw a Magnuson supercharger on it after a little while.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon
Most policies will not cover accidents that happen on the grounds of a race track / course. That is a change since track events have gotten so popular.

READ YOUR POLICY - it can vary state to start and DO ONT RELY on your agent or anyone on the internet to see if you are covered.

And the safest option - don't race / track what you can't afford to write off. All sorts of weird stuff can happen at the track - even if you are not racing - mechanical failures, the "other guy", etc.

Uber -
owner of nonstreet legal race car.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You guys catch the Trackday Comedy vids?

The revised one is good. NSFW so heads up on the job (some f bombs)

Its an instructors POV of trackdays.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Those videos are great, and oh so true...There's almost always one in every crowd...