W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

secondary air injection pump

Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG--1999 E55 AMG--2007 ACURA MDX--E-GLIDE Electric Skateboard
secondary air injection pump

Does anyone have a DIY for the secondary air injection pump, relay and fuse?
Dealer wants 1200.00, says its not covered under 80000 mile emission warranty. Where to find pump? not at autohausaz, and where is it located in the engine compartment? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Jaybejay
Does anyone have a DIY for the secondary air injection pump, relay and fuse?
Dealer wants 1200.00, says its not covered under 80000 mile emission warranty. Where to find pump? not at autohausaz, and where is it located in the engine compartment? Thanks for any help.
I thought that was a recall issue? or a campaign as they call it
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
+1

FILE:
SERVICE: GROUP 00 OF SERVICE INFORMATION BINDER
PARTS: GROUP I OF INFORMATION _ PARTS & ACCESSORIES BINDER

Campaign No. 2006030011, May 2006

Revision History

Revision Date Purpose

D 05/18/06 Update of software installation instructions
for Model 199; Update of control unit
coding information for MY 2002 vehicles

C 05/12/06 Change of warranty information for control unit coding

B 04/20/06 Model 230: Breakdown of relay location by production date

A 04/19/06 Model 230: Change to location of the relay (Figure 15)

- 04/13/06 Initial issue
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS

SUBJECT:
MODEL 170/199/203/211/215/219/220/230/463 AMG
MODEL YEAR 2002-2006

REPLACE SECONDARY AIR INJECTION PUMP RELAY

This Service Campaign has been initiated because DCAG has determined that on affected vehicles (AMG models; see VIN range below) the software for the engine control unit needs to be updated to correct a potential malfunction which could render the secondary air injection pump relay inoperable thereby affecting the proper operation of the secondary air injection pump. Should this malfunction occur while operating the vehicle, the engine diagnostic lamp ("Check Engine" light) in the instrument cluster will illuminate. As a precautionary measure, this Service Campaign will address this issue by updating the engine control unit software and replacing the relay for the secondary air injection pump.

the fuse is in the trunk area...see below

compare your VIN to the list below. part number is also listed.

good luck.

Last edited by O-55; 12-06-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: changed "relay" to "fuse"
Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 PM

2004 E55 AMG--1999 E55 AMG--2007 ACURA MDX--E-GLIDE Electric Skateboard
Originally Posted by O-55
+1

FILE:
SERVICE: GROUP 00 OF SERVICE INFORMATION BINDER
PARTS: GROUP I OF INFORMATION _ PARTS & ACCESSORIES BINDER

Campaign No. 2006030011, May 2006

Revision History

Revision Date Purpose

D 05/18/06 Update of software installation instructions
for Model 199; Update of control unit
coding information for MY 2002 vehicles

C 05/12/06 Change of warranty information for control unit coding

B 04/20/06 Model 230: Breakdown of relay location by production date

A 04/19/06 Model 230: Change to location of the relay (Figure 15)

- 04/13/06 Initial issue
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS

SUBJECT:
MODEL 170/199/203/211/215/219/220/230/463 AMG
MODEL YEAR 2002-2006

REPLACE SECONDARY AIR INJECTION PUMP RELAY

This Service Campaign has been initiated because DCAG has determined that on affected vehicles (AMG models; see VIN range below) the software for the engine control unit needs to be updated to correct a potential malfunction which could render the secondary air injection pump relay inoperable thereby affecting the proper operation of the secondary air injection pump. Should this malfunction occur while operating the vehicle, the engine diagnostic lamp ("Check Engine" light) in the instrument cluster will illuminate. As a precautionary measure, this Service Campaign will address this issue by updating the engine control unit software and replacing the relay for the secondary air injection pump.

the relay is in the trunk area...see below

compare your VIN to the list below. part number is also listed.

good luck.
Thanks for the great info!
The SA told me the campaign was done on my car 2006. Now that the pump is broken, I have to pay for it? Seems wrong to me. I am waiting for MBUSA to return my call on the matter.
Don't you think it should be covered still, and at least its under 80000 mile emission warranty. Thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
I always wondered where does the secondary air pump is located
do you have a pic showing it ?
thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
here you go

the pump in our 55s is in the same location.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
The SA told me the campaign was done on my car 2006. Now that the pump is broken, I have to pay for it? Seems wrong to me. I am waiting for MBUSA to return my call on the matter.
Don't you think it should be covered still, and at least its under 80000 mile emission warranty. Thanks
It's definitely not covered under the emissions warranty, MB and dealership service depts. seem to be very clear (and consistent) about this. Go figure, since the pump's purpose is solely to improve start-up emissions. Mine went when my car was only a month or two beyond the 4-year factory warranty (and still well under the 50k miles); fortunately, my dealership offered the parts for free if I would pay the labor, which was a couple hundred bucks. Best of luck with your repair.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by O-55
here you go

the pump in our 55s is in the same location.

mmh .. thanks, I'll look for it

so, if I understand correctly its scope is to flow additional fresh air to the exh ..
and where does is it connected to ?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
Would this campaign cover a car if it has over 80k miles?

looks like solid info, however
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 AM

2004 E500
I have 2004 E500 non AMG(I wish I have AMG...)
May I ask if anyone know relay location for non-AMG E500 models?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Takeshi
Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 AM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
I have a few questions -- the purpose of this pump is for start-ups -- So, will the car run and perform normally if it is removed??? because it seems like a good way to put the front end of the car on a diet... which can only help the handling
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 PM

scion IQ(five axis), smart fortwo crossblade, austin rover mini

MB USA doesn't want to cooperate; it time for a magnuson moss/lemon warranty raising issue! This is relay, ECU, pumps, etc is a defective manufacturer issue! others agree or not? give guidance for reasons? This is not a normal wear and tear; the malfunctioning of an ECU program and/or relay is the causing other problems slash pump failures.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
have you changed the relay?

My engine management light came on and the local dealer said it was the pump, it went into the dealer i bought it from and they replaced the relay only and said the pump was fine, 12 mnths later, all still good!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM

G-55, SL-55, CLK-430
SECONDARY AIR INJECTION PUMP RELAY & PUMP

I have a G 55 and an SL 55 both affected with this problem. MBUSA has offered to pay a portion of the replacement of the relay only. Given the cost of the correction, (including the pump), I believe MBUSA should be responsible for the complete correction. Anyone else interested in litigating?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Is this the pump? 182$ at Pelican. Bottom of page

Solenoid on top of page

Double check the part numbers. Not saying these will work 100% but looks good.

***edit*** Dang!! Gets me everytime. Just noticed OP date was back in 09. Oh well, here for future searchers if you need it.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 AM

ethanol fuel mix is damaging the mercedes-amg enginess especially those prior of 2003 and older and also cars from 2001-2007. The EPA is now trying to increase ethanol upto 15% or over from cars 2007 and newer. This amount will surely show signs of engine damage.
ethanol is hydrophilic and thereby corrosive to the engine and entire the fuel rail system! one should very rarely ever have to replace a fuel injection system and internal engine parts with low milage.
A hydrophilic membrane will not be fouled or stopped oil, grease or other hydrophobic substances. The membrane is highly attractive to water so the water molecules will push away other molecules in order to gain access to the membrane. Once formed, hydrogen bonds are quite stable and reluctant to break apart.(for the chemist buffs)
everyone needs to muster and contact their necessary representatives and manufacturer's, technician's, etc and put a stop to this ethanol mixture. Or at least many stations that are absolutely free of ethonal!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-sou...1&asset=&ccode=
http://www.masterresource.org/2010/0...counterattack/
http://www.reporternews.com/news/201...ng-questioned/
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-mandate-1527/
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=35692
http://blog.thetruthaboutethanol.org/?p=35

this is what happens when your fuels lines are over time eaten up by ethanol regardless if it is for boats or small engines or etc......
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr...ne/news-metro/
the key is point is that regardless on what engine vehicle its the resting phase of the engine that causes the damage!
"The problem is that most boats sit for long periods of time without use. When ethanol-blended fuels sit in a gas tank for a long time, the ethanol begins to separate from the gasoline.
When engines consume pure ethanol, a highly corrosive solvent, the results can be disastrous. In addition to unraveling fuel lines, it can loosen sludge, varnish and dirt inside the gas tank, causing fuel lines and carburetors to clog."

"ethanol eats away at the fuel line, causing it to fail, like a collapsing tunnel"
"if water is in the gas tank or engine, the ethanol will separate form the gasoline and bond with the water, that means pumping a mixture of ethanol and water into the engine, if this happens there could be stalling or more jittery engine repsonses....the key is none use of vehicle...the less you use the engine, the more that the ethanol will separate from the gasoline(petrol).

Some people are so dead, they don't vote, they write letters to respective district city or counties officials; they just expect others to fix the fixes. every concerned voice must be heard. but then again most people probably don't have true sports car? this is not about clean energy.
its about corrupted politicians and officials hurting the economy and regular middle class person's. Germany makes some of the most cleanest car--without ethanol! if people don't speak up...soon this country will be deader than dead! All the successful people might just flea due to over-regulation after over regulations.

if nobody takes on these issues what use are these amg engines with out pure petrol!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by ttus
ethanol fuel mix is damaging the mercedes-amg enginess especially those prior of 2003 and older and also cars from 2001-2007. The EPA is now trying to increase ethanol upto 15% or over from cars 2007 and newer. This amount will surely show signs of engine damage.
ethanol is hydrophilic and thereby corrosive to the engine and entire the fuel rail system! one should very rarely ever have to replace a fuel injection system and internal engine parts with low milage.
A hydrophilic membrane will not be fouled or stopped oil, grease or other hydrophobic substances. The membrane is highly attractive to water so the water molecules will push away other molecules in order to gain access to the membrane. Once formed, hydrogen bonds are quite stable and reluctant to break apart.(for the chemist buffs)
everyone needs to muster and contact their necessary representatives and manufacturer's, technician's, etc and put a stop to this ethanol mixture. Or at least many stations that are absolutely free of ethonal!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-sou...1&asset=&ccode=
http://www.masterresource.org/2010/0...counterattack/
http://www.reporternews.com/news/201...ng-questioned/
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-mandate-1527/
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=35692
http://blog.thetruthaboutethanol.org/?p=35

this is what happens when your fuels lines are over time eaten up by ethanol regardless if it is for boats or small engines or etc......
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr...ne/news-metro/
the key is point is that regardless on what engine vehicle its the resting phase of the engine that causes the damage!
"The problem is that most boats sit for long periods of time without use. When ethanol-blended fuels sit in a gas tank for a long time, the ethanol begins to separate from the gasoline.
When engines consume pure ethanol, a highly corrosive solvent, the results can be disastrous. In addition to unraveling fuel lines, it can loosen sludge, varnish and dirt inside the gas tank, causing fuel lines and carburetors to clog."

"ethanol eats away at the fuel line, causing it to fail, like a collapsing tunnel"
"if water is in the gas tank or engine, the ethanol will separate form the gasoline and bond with the water, that means pumping a mixture of ethanol and water into the engine, if this happens there could be stalling or more jittery engine repsonses....the key is none use of vehicle...the less you use the engine, the more that the ethanol will separate from the gasoline(petrol).

Some people are so dead, they don't vote, they write letters to respective district city or counties officials; they just expect others to fix the fixes. every concerned voice must be heard. but then again most people probably don't have true sports car? this is not about clean energy.
its about corrupted politicians and officials hurting the economy and regular middle class person's. Germany makes some of the most cleanest car--without ethanol! if people don't speak up...soon this country will be deader than dead! All the successful people might just flea due to over-regulation after over regulations.

if nobody takes on these issues what use are these amg engines with out pure petrol!
I live in Germany for about 6 months of the year and also in Florida and wish we had the same 102 octane (RON) ethanol free fuel in Florida. That said, ethanol blended into gasoline can only cause problems if the vehicle has been unused for a long period of time. Over time the ethanol can separate from the gasoline. If you plan to store your car for an extended period simply add Stabil and Techron and fill the tank. Be sure to drive the vehicle long enough to distribute the treated fuel throughout the system. You will have no problems.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Secondary Air Pump Picture

This pump is only for E55AMG, pump on w211 e320, e350, e500 is different !! PN is 05 80 000 0 18, also audi pump PN 05 80 000 0 23 and porsche (boxter) PN 05 80 000 0 22 is the same pump
Attached Thumbnails secondary air injection pump-046.jpg   secondary air injection pump-047.jpg   secondary air injection pump-048.jpg   secondary air injection pump-049.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM

ETHANOL MIXTURE (E10) CAUSING OTHER PROBLEMS!

Originally Posted by AgSilver
I live in Germany for about 6 months of the year and also in Florida and wish we had the same 102 octane (RON) ethanol free fuel in Florida. That said, ethanol blended into gasoline can only cause problems if the vehicle has been unused for a long period of time. Over time the ethanol can separate from the gasoline. If you plan to store your car for an extended period simply add Stabil and Techron and fill the tank. Be sure to drive the vehicle long enough to distribute the treated fuel throughout the system. You will have no problems.

I HAVE A 2001 AMG AND HAVE ALL MY PETROL RECEIPTS FROM ABOUT 98% OF THE FILLS SINCE 2001 FROM SHELL STATIONS IN GERMANY AND USA. I HAVE ALWAYS USED FUEL STABIL FROM ANY AUTOPART STORE IN THE usa SINCE 2003. I ONLY USE MY VEHICLE EVERY OTHER MONTH OR FOR LONGER DURATIONS WITHOUT USE!

SO, IF THESE CARS PRIOR TO 2002 AND SOME BETWEEN 2001-2007 ARE NOT ECU PROGRAMMED AND HAVE LEGACY FUEL SYSTEM PARTS THEN THE E10 ETHANOL-GAS MIXTURE WILL CAUSE DAMAGE.

I AM ONE OF THOSE WHO HOLDS ONTO CLASSIC CARS AND HAS ONE. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WITH LIMITED EDITION AMG CARS OR MERCEDES THAT WERE PRODUCED WITH LESS THAN 5000 MANUFACTURED WORLDWIDE FOR ANY PARTICULAR MODEL FROM DAIMLER THAT HAD OR ARE HAVING ISSUES UNBEKNOWNST TO THEM THAT IT COULD BE THE E10 FUEL MIXTURE?

WILL FUEL STABIL @ 100% PROHIBIT ETHANOL FROM BONDING WITH HYDROGEN CONSTANTLY? YOU EVER SEE AN AMG ENGINE OR OTHER EXHAUST AND SEE THE VAPORIZATION OR MOSITURE DRIPPING FROM THE EXHAUST AFTER EVEN 2 WEEKS OF NON-USED MERCEDES-AMG STORAGE? AND THIS IS WITH STABIL AND WITHOUT!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Geez ... more good news!

These are a common issue on Volkswagens too. had to replace one a while ago on the ol' lady's car after only 3 years (also not covered by VW warranty ... of course!). Water gets into these and destroys them. Looks almost the same as the one I replaced. I drilled a small drain hole in it to allow any water to just drain off to prevent it from happening again, worked great after that! never had a problem for > 5 years after that!

Hopefully this is just a relay issue like someone mentioned! These things are useless anyway ... but can't pass emissions with a check engine light! too bad we can't just recode the ECU and throw them away!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Sorry, but what is the job of this pump? What are the symptoms of failure? How can we test or know if it is not work?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
This is purely for emissions on cold start. Cold start requires richer mixture which is gives rise to incomplete combustion. SAIP adds additional air to the exhaust to aid combustion. Symptoms are a Check Engine Light. Not sure on the Mercedes, but bad air pump is really noisy on cold start kind of like a mild air compressor noise from the vicinity of the lower front of the car (where the pump normally is) for several seconds after cold start. On the VW, a good one sounded like a quiet vacuum cleaner turning on for a while and would turn off, not sure if we can hear this on our cars. After the first 30 seconds or so after cold start they just sit there .. dead weight!

Originally Posted by ahmad0658
Sorry, but what is the job of this pump? What are the symptoms of failure? How can we test or know if it is not work?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 AM

'04 E55
Secondary Air Pump - Also Fuses in right side footwell

Hi - Just a bit of extra info for anyone gathering info on the secondary air pump failure issue. This may have been mentioned somewhere but I thought I had read just about every post that mentioned this issue while trying to understand what the Auto Electrical Shop was that were doing the repair were looking for.

I have a 2004 E55 - the secondary air pump had basically melted internally/seized and caused the check engine light to illuminate. A new pump, relays etc were installed and all was fine for a few days (only a couple of 30 min runs though), then the CEL came back on - same code. Relay replaced again in the thought that there may have been a bad contact etc. Again ok for a couple of days.

Then the CEL came on again after the car had warmed up after about 10 mins driving - same driving pattern as the first time it re-illuminated. Fine when cold then on after 10-15 mins.

To their credit the auto shop then went through and rechecked the whole circuit, relays, isolated and re checked the air pump - all seemed to be ok.

They then discovered that there was another set of fuses that were in the right hand side foot well - inside the car - in a right hand drive on the drivers side up above the pedal area underneath the carpet that were also involved in this circuit.

They had to remove the accelerator pedal and carpet etc to get to it - the fuse related to the air pump circuit was blown - replaced this fuse - retested - no code generated - air pump working - starting running for 40 seconds or so - shutting down.

So hopefully this may have corrected the issue. I will be keeping an eye on it for the next few days and see what happens but they are pretty confident that they had tracked down where the problem was. So perhaps for anyone that is still getting the CEL on after having the code reset, and if like me it was actually once the car had warmed up, perhaps have a look and see if there is a blown fuse - I imagine for US cars this will be in the passenger side footwell - under the carpet front top left area.

Hope this may help someone if you are running out of things to look for.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM

e class
just had this problem today, at first they diagnosed it as the pneumatic pump, and when the inspector came out it was working fine, they didnt do anything, got it back friday, took it out saturday, thew a check engine light. turns out the problem was the secondary injector pump being cooked because the relay failed or whatnot. needless to say i need a new fuse, relay, and injector pump at the cost of 1,100. filed a claim with mbusa and im waiting for a call back in the next day, hopefully they do something to help me out, since according to my records, this "campaign" was already closed.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Has anyone removed the secondary air pump system and have the ECU reprogrammed to disregard the fault code.
Was hoping to cap them off and remove it entirely.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: secondary air injection pump