C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Loud Whining noise on first engine start (cold) - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202
Loud Whining noise on first engine start (cold) - Help

OK. So my 96 C220 has been running great. No problems other than the loud whining noise. So this is how it starts. Every morning when I start the car I hear a loud whining noise. It doesnt appear right away, probably about a min after I start it. It does go away like 2 to 3 min after starting, so basically when the engine gets hot. Form the sounds of it, I thought it was a belt of some kind. The weird part is, it only happens when the engine is cold. Has anyone experienced this or have a solution for it?

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM

2020 GLC200 (X253) 1995 mb W202 C220, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 2014 Ford Mustang 5.0
there are alot of things you should be worried about. first, try having a look/see under the hood while you encounter the sound, from there you'd probably narrow down your choices of parts that might make that sound you were describing.

also, dude try checking first the belt, check for cracks and defects it might be that. if your belt is ok(no cracks or defect yet) try treating it with belt conditioners.

if not, try having your water pump checked out, you may need to replace the water there. sometime sediments accumulate in the pump thus creating rust which in turn makes some weird sounds.

i hope it helps.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM

1994 C220
I have that whinning noise for how many years now and never went away, nothing seems to happen to my car. The only I heard it died was when my alternator quit on me. But as soon as I replaced my alternator with a new one, it came back again. I was thinking maybe it's the alternator. Had it for 7 years and it didn't do anything bad to the car. Happens every cold morning, or when I park the car and come back after long hours of rest in the parking lot which is rare.

But most of the day, it just happens in the morning.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
Nice!!! All Pinoys in here... Kamusta mga pare ko!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by kulitko1
OK. So my 96 C220 has been running great. No problems other than the loud whining noise. So this is how it starts. Every morning when I start the car I hear a loud whining noise. It doesnt appear right away, probably about a min after I start it. It does go away like 2 to 3 min after starting, so basically when the engine gets hot. Form the sounds of it, I thought it was a belt of some kind. The weird part is, it only happens when the engine is cold. Has anyone experienced this or have a solution for it?

Thanks,
James, in case you can come here in L.A., I recommend my personal mechanic to check your car out. He specializes in Mercedes Benzes and BMWs. He's Cambodian but a very good mechanic. Plus, he charges very cheap!!! Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you his contact info and shop address.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
Originally Posted by Jovsky
James, in case you can come here in L.A., I recommend my personal mechanic to check your car out. He specializes in Mercedes Benzes and BMWs. He's Cambodian but a very good mechanic. Plus, he charges very cheap!!! Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you his contact info and shop address.
]He's Cambodian but a very good mecha[Bnic. Plus, he charges very cheap!!! [/B] Gee you aren't to racist are you?? What difference is it if he's Cambodian ????
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99MBSport
]He's Cambodian but a very good mecha[Bnic. Plus, he charges very cheap!!! [/b] Gee you aren't to racist are you?? What difference is it if he's Cambodian ????
Sorry, my bad... I am not a racist. The words did not come out the way it was supposed to mean. I was actually praising my mechanic who happens to be a Cambodian. No offense intended there.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM

99C280sport
Wink

Originally Posted by Jovsky
Sorry, my bad... I am not a racist. The words did not come out the way it was supposed to mean. I was actually praising my mechanic who happens to be a Cambodian. No offense intended there.
Ayos lang yan pare ko...I know what you mean.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM

W202
I dont think he was being racist. If he had said it was a White Guy and he charges alot... does that mean hes racist too...... =)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM

1995 C280
its probably your air injector pump, does it sound like a jet engine? the bearings are going bad but usually its not critical, its for EPA emissions control. it runs to pump hot air while the engine is cold. mine is pretty loud.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM

W202
Originally Posted by BenzWVU
its probably your air injector pump, does it sound like a jet engine? the bearings are going bad but usually its not critical, its for EPA emissions control. it runs to pump hot air while the engine is cold. mine is pretty loud.

Finally... Thanks for the info man... I can now finally get this thing fixed... Where by chance do you think I could get one.... The shops are charging like 600 bucks for it.....

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 AM

1996 C 280 Sport
Smile

"" OK. So my 96 C220 has been running great. No problems other than the loud whining noise. So this is how it starts. Every morning when I start the car I hear a loud whining noise. It doesnt appear right away, probably about a min after I start it. It does go away like 2 to 3 min after starting, so basically when the engine gets hot. Form the sounds of it, I thought it was a belt of some kind. The weird part is, it only happens when the engine is cold. Has anyone experienced this or have a solution for it? ""

__________________________________________________ ___________

Hello everyone I'm new here figured I would try and put my two cents in hahaha might help me actually !!!

I have the same thing with my car (96 C 280 sport) and I have had it for about a year ... but now I notice it is making a hissing noise while The jets blowing hahaha

Any hints ?¿?¿ or problems I should look forward to ?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM

1995 C280
Originally Posted by kulitko1
Finally... Thanks for the info man... I can now finally get this thing fixed... Where by chance do you think I could get one.... The shops are charging like 600 bucks for it.....

Thanks,

Sorry, to get it cheap you have to go to a salvage yard, but depending on the mileage that part could have bad bearings also. I just prefer to deal with the sound for the first few mins than pay a few hundred bucks to fix it, the air injector pump is just for emissions control for heating the air to the catalytic converter. or u could just put on wings and a tail and tell people you are a jet pilot.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM

mercedes coupe
Smile whining sounds in the morning

Hi Guys, Billy here, Im from Ireland where the air is clean and i get that squealing sound like your parked on a cats tail, had my 1.8 compressor for a year and i say ,,, if its not broken dont try to fix it, whining sound goes in 50 seaconds.... have a nice day..
Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM

1993 400 SEL , 2002 CL500
Hello,

Just wanted to say Hi. Good to see an other pinoy in here.
I'm San Diego. Good to know iIve got a good MB friend in LA!