C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Steering wheel adjustment motor gone bad?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02C32AMG
Steering wheel adjustment motor gone bad?

Note: it looks like the Search feature is not working for this site... returns a blank page.

Anyway, the motor that controls the height of my steering wheel seems to have gone bad. It won't automatically raise up and down when turning off/on the car as it always has in the past. I hear the motor running but the steering wheel doesn't move. Thankfully, it's stuck in the down position so it doesn't affect my ability to drive the car. The telescoping motor works fine - its just the up and down motor that doesn't work.

I'm wondering if this is common or if there is a quick fix? If not, it's off to the dealer to get it fixed while I still have a warranty.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM

MB C32 AMG
I've got the same problem. I don't think it's a DIY job so if you're still under warranty just take it to the dealer.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
I made sure to disable that feature, but I guess it's another electronic thing to go wrong.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM

05 c55
Originally Posted by Lagunatic
Note: it looks like the Search feature is not working for this site... returns a blank page.

Anyway, the motor that controls the height of my steering wheel seems to have gone bad. It won't automatically raise up and down when turning off/on the car as it always has in the past. I hear the motor running but the steering wheel doesn't move. Thankfully, it's stuck in the down position so it doesn't affect my ability to drive the car. The telescoping motor works fine - its just the up and down motor that doesn't work.

I'm wondering if this is common or if there is a quick fix? If not, it's off to the dealer to get it fixed while I still have a warranty.

Thanks.
Happened to me a couple years ago on my c55. I had it repaired under warranty. I could hear the motor running but the steering wheel wouldn't go up and down. I don't know how the dealer fixed it or how much it should have cost.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM

c55
how it works

Ok theres an adjustment motor and that motor is connected to the steering column via a driveshaft (plastic dogbone) and unless the motor itself is bad, more than likely youve torn that dogbone.

How does the dogbone tear you ask? if you lean or pull on the steering wheel during tilt adjustment (i.e. when getting in or out of the car with the convenience function on) it puts strain on the driveshaft and eventually it tears in half

after u replace the driveshaft i think u need SDS to normalize the motor

if u have warranty just let them do it

Last edited by scrwmpwr; 01-29-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM

02C32AMG
Originally Posted by scrwmpwr
Ok theres an adjustment motor and that motor is connected to the steering column via a driveshaft (plastic dogbone) and unless the motor itself is bad, more than likely youve torn that dogbone.

How does the dogbone tear you ask? if you lean or pull on the steering wheel during tilt adjustment (i.e. when getting in or out of the car with the convenience function on) it puts strain on the driveshaft and eventually it tears in half

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should just take it to the dealer since I still have some time left on my warranty. Will post back the service info once it's fixed.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM

'05 C55 AMG
i had this problem before. took it to the dealership since my car was still under warranty. apparently there's a plastic tab somewhere in the assembly that's prone to snapping off. when that happens, it jams the thing. i think it's a simple fix.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:38 AM

2005 E320
....after u replace the driveshaft i think u need SDS to normalize the motor...
What do you mean when you say that they need to "SDS to normalize the motor?"

I had my steering transmission (driveshaft and motor assembly) replaced this past week because the tilt stopped moving up and down. Is there some special software adjustment that should be performed after the parts are replaced?

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but this is the best one that I could find that speaks of the problem I am having.

Thanks.
kv
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM

02 C32
The sound from the adjustment motor is pretty noticable when my steering column is moving, making me think its life is prolly limited. I, too, would be interested to know if anyone has completed this repair on their own.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
My steering wheel motor has gone out on me twice. First time it was fixed purs. to warranty. I now have an appointment on monday to have it fixed again by an independant who takes my aftermarket warranty.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 PM

02 C32
My steering wheel adjuster quit working yesterday. I hear the motor running but the steering wheel doesn't move (neither with the automatic convenience tilt nor if I try to manually adjust with the button). Has anybody attempted a DIY replacement? Can anybody point me to a manual or other literature to guide me as I attempt to replace mine? Thanx!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by MountainStone
My steering wheel adjuster quit working yesterday. I hear the motor running but the steering wheel doesn't move (neither with the automatic convenience tilt nor if I try to manually adjust with the button). Has anybody attempted a DIY replacement? Can anybody point me to a manual or other literature to guide me as I attempt to replace mine? Thanx!
There's some threads about it, check the regular W203 forum as well. I think it's actually a very time consuming project and you have to take a part a lot of stuff to do it. However, I also remember someone saying that they were able to bend it in half or something like that to squeeze it in without taking so many things apart.

Good luck, I'm in the same Boat as you.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM

C240

I don't get this part about needing SDS to normalize the motor. What is SDS? How can we use / access it?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
steering wheel ajustment motor gone bad

check todays post in audio and electronics titled how to fix power steer column that will not move up or down dont know why under posted under audio and electronics
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM

C240
I will check it out. I have opened the panel and now that the kids are in bed, I have a little time to go try to remove the bad part and install the new one.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 PM

C32
https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...e-up-down.html
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM

C240
getting to the dogbone

there is a black bracket made from hard plastic (but thin) that is the main item blocking the culprit part. I tried but so far unsuccessful to remove it - nor was able to remove the connectors attached to it.

If I get mine fixed I can write up the exact steps - but right now I am a good distance from there.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you are not refering to this as the the two hooks on top just bend out of the way.

Be sure to take plenty of clear pictures if you are going to do a how to.

After you do it one time I don't think it is really that hard, its just knowing what not to take off as there is plenty of things that I did not need to take off to get the joint in and out.

Last edited by health services; 10-27-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM

C240
no this is not what I am talking about -

it's just 2 connectors (electrical) on a bracket. That bracket is getting in the way. I couldn't upload the picture from my hard drive for some reason, may be it requies me to first upload it to some online site like photobucket and then post here?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 PM

C32
Photobucket is good...if you have trouble email me the picture.

jglisso@gmail.com
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM

C32
Originally Posted by health services
Hope you are not refering to this as the the two hooks on top just bend out of the way.

Be sure to take plenty of clear pictures if you are going to do a how to.

After you do it one time I don't think it is really that hard, its just knowing what not to take off as there is plenty of things that I did not need to take off to get the joint in and out.

Did you complete the repair on the defective tilt steering mechanism?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 AM

C240
No - I am stuck at removing the bracket out of the way in order to get to the broken piece. I actually see it (although from Very tight angle) broken, snapped in two, right from the middle. I see the end attached to the motor churning too.

Another approach I may try is to additionally remove the driver's side dash panel (not the instrument ..., not the center console, etc.). I got stuck at that too for now: the right side of the driver-side dash panel seems held tight where it ends next to the radio, and on the bottom right corner it meets w/ the center piece of the dash - just below the stereo.

Does anybody have instructions that can help me from this point on?

I wish this site would have allowed for direct uploading of image files from my computer. Anyways, dontbanme, I will email you right now the one shot I have which shows that bracket in the way, you can also post it here - so health services can see it too.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 AM

C240
you can check your email now

Originally Posted by dontbanme
Photobucket is good...if you have trouble email me the picture.

jglisso@gmail.com
sent ~ 10' ago.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 PM

C32
Per Basa...

The bracket has to electrical connectors mounted on it - the bracket is in the way. But forcing it out of the way is Not the answer. These brackets usually are fastened by a screw (if not some latch), However, I can't see nor feel anything like that.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 PM

C32
I didn't even notice my steering wheel didn't tilt until I came across this thread. Now it bothers me!

Last edited by dontbanme; 10-31-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel adjustment motor gone bad?