W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying rattle in the interior

Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying rattle in the interior

I just purchased a 2010 E63 with about 8K miles on it. After driving it a few days I noticed a rattle coming from the front passenger door area which is annoying especially at low speeds. I took it into the dealer and they were unable to find the source and told me to bring it back again when I could leave it for a longer time. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any suggestions how to resolve?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by Jas Man
I just purchased a 2010 E63 with about 8K miles on it. After driving it a few days I noticed a rattle coming from the front passenger door area which is annoying especially at low speeds. I took it into the dealer and they were unable to find the source and told me to bring it back again when I could leave it for a longer time. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any suggestions how to resolve?

You definitely have not provided enough info for anyone to help diagnose your problem (unless this is some common issue that I am unaware of), I suggest you pull the door panel off and take a gander...
Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Sorry I a newbie!! I wish I could provide more info, but even the tech at the dealer was unable to determine if the rattle was coming from the front dash of the passenger side or the door area. It is more prevalent at low speeds but I am thinking that is only because at higher speeds the road noise covers it. The sound it likes something "plasticky" being loose in that general vicinity.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by Jas Man
Sorry I a newbie!! I wish I could provide more info, but even the tech at the dealer was unable to determine if the rattle was coming from the front dash of the passenger side or the door area. It is more prevalent at low speeds but I am thinking that is only because at higher speeds the road noise covers it. The sound it likes something "plasticky" being loose in that general vicinity.

If you want to take matters into your own hands then your best bet is to have someone ride on the passenger side, listening trying to locate the origin of the rattle. Then I would start taking stuff apart once I believed I had located the origin. I have eliminated MANY rattles from my car like this.

Other than that you are at the mercy of the dealership...

P.S. When I take the panels off I usually line them with dynamat to prevent rattles from reoccurring (it also keeps the sound in/out of the car)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 Mercedes E63S Wagon
I had the same issue with mine. Turned out to be something in the glove box area. I opened the glove box, sprayed WD40 at every hinge and behind the box, which seemingly cleared up the issue. Hope that helps.

If the the panoramic roof and every time I pull into my driveway, it sounds like the roof is going to crack! I need to figure that one out asap.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I have owned many a nice car- they all rattle at some point. I just turn up the music.

Now to be honest the only time a rattle truly was annoying was on my 2004 E55 and that was the dreaded pano roof rattle; I did get that fixed.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 PM

I had the same problem, creaking from the doors at slow speeds. Go to the dealership and get the MB special sliding compound spray, it's a small can that is fairly pricey at $40, spray it onto all seals, doors and windows, and it will disappear. The spray is expensive, but it works. I also used it on my SL65 hard top which would start making noises every 6 months.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM

2010 E 6.3 AMG
Just read your posting regarding the panorama sunroof. We had the same problem. Just pulled the work order. They checked the C-Pillars, B-Pillars, Headliner. They found plate for both sunshades noisey. The plate for both sunshades were replaced. Sunroof was lubed and bolts tightened. Have you had a problem with your windshield cracking due to stress? I was driving about 20mph and heard a pop. The windshield cracked behind the rearview mirror. It is going to the dealer tomorrow for replacement.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by duffydog
Just read your posting regarding the panorama sunroof. We had the same problem. Just pulled the work order. They checked the C-Pillars, B-Pillars, Headliner. They found plate for both sunshades noisey. The plate for both sunshades were replaced. Sunroof was lubed and bolts tightened. Have you had a problem with your windshield cracking due to stress? I was driving about 20mph and heard a pop. The windshield cracked behind the rearview mirror. It is going to the dealer tomorrow for replacement.
WOW!! These cara are supposed to be incredibly stiffly framed. That doesn't sound good at all. Either something/s aren't tight enough or there's an issue with the structural integrity of your car.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Same problem. Rattle coming from the passenger side area - can't figure out if its internal or under the hood posteriorly. Annoying as hell - happens whenever I go over a little bump. I have 38K miles on my 2010 E63, and this just started happening a couple thousand miles ago. I thought it was something in the glove box, too, and I've rearranged everything and its still happening. Maddening that I can't isolate it!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (Former 4x AMG owner)
Interior Rattle

Guys,

I had the same issue. I figured out that it is the mesh vents that are directly against the windshield. I have not fixed it yet but figure a lubricant will solve the issue. I am 100% positive of the origin as I put 2 fingers on the grill and it stopped immediately while going over bumps.

Happy hunting!!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM

09 911 S, 10 E63, '12 Cayman R
Ok, bizarre and clearly not a fluke, but what's worse is our creaks seem to be coming from different places.

My 2010 with 3k miles has a noticeable creak below the drivers seat. It's audible if I heavily phrump into the drivers seat and at low speeds/ over bumps. I put someone in the back with their head in the floorboard. It seems to be coming from well-under the seat. Like the seats bolts were loose, but they're not.

Have not visited the dealer yet.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 PM

'10 E63 AMG
mcorliss:

This rattle has driven me crazy for a few months now. Thanks for isolating the problem (I had the car in the dealership last week for scheduled maintenance, and, of course, nobody could hear it - and there's no "problem memo" out about it to the service depts.). It sounds like you've pinpointed it - like I said, I couldn't determine if it was from the dash, front part of the passenger door, or somehting under the hood on the other side of the glass. How did you figure this out - were you hanging out the passenger window holding the mesh down while someone else was driving? Can you post a picture of the mesh you are talking about? Also, why do you think "lubricant" will fix something that rattles? I would think its rattling because it is loose. Maybe if I see what you are talking about I will understand your reasoning.

How many miles did you have on your 63 when you first noticed it?

Again, thanks. I hope this solves the problem!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 PM

2013 ML350 BlueTec
I have a 2010 E350 Sport Sedan with a rattle on the passenger side. It sounds like a small plastic ball bouncing in a plastic cup. My service center tried adding felt to various spots in the B pillar a few weeks ago but I still have the problem. The rattle occurs (at any speed) every time I hit a sharp bumps like a highway expansion joint. I wish I had my 2008 ML320 CDI back now. It got great mileage and was quiet as a bank vault.