Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Conflicting advice. Can you run different make front and rear tires?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 65/LX470
Conflicting advice. Can you run different make front and rear tires?

Looking for new rears on my CL65. I decided to change from Michelin Pilot Sport A/s to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have received conflicting advice. Is it or is it not o.k. to have two different brand tires on front and rear axles? One dealer told me that it would be unsafe due to handling differences between different tires. What do folks think about this??
Old 06-21-2011, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
it's certainly not BAD, but not good either. It's always best to have 4 same tires but having 2 different ones wont hurt you.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
ok

As long as same axle has same type/brand tires you are okay....AND the tires should be in the same classification......i.e. ultra high performance, maximum performances tires, etc...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by GoodBeach
Looking for new rears on my CL65. I decided to change from Michelin Pilot Sport A/s to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have received conflicting advice. Is it or is it not o.k. to have two different brand tires on front and rear axles? One dealer told me that it would be unsafe due to handling differences between different tires. What do folks think about this??
Reason please for wanting to drop the Michelins? Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
differences in rolling resistance, sidewall deflection rates, water evacuation among other things can cause adverse handling so, it is never recommended to mix and match tires.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM

CL 65/LX470
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Reason please for wanting to drop the Michelins? Just curious.

Thanks.
Looking for better tread life plus price is much lower.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Looking for better tread life plus price is much lower.
Thank you.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
mixing and matching....never. For me that is like only replacing 4 spark plugs because the other 4 are still in working order.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
mix and match

Tire Rack gave me the advice on tires for my Porsche.......as long as same tires on same axle and of the same type - i.e. ultra high performance, max performance, etc....it is okay....

I have had NO issues in dry or wet....

I have Dunlop on the front axle and Sumitomo on the rear......also no issues on the track........

My rears wear twice as fast as my fronts due to engine weight and traction in the back.....

In my case the Dunlops were discontinued, so I went with the different brand in the rear.......

I will go with the same brand all around when I can, i.e. helps in concours judging, etc..
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM

06 infi g35
I agree. Its not recommended but its not the worst thing in the world either. You generally want to try and match tread pattern, speed ratings, and performance capabilities of the tires to ensure the smoothest and best ride possible.

Since you are considering Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Conti DWS, I will say that you want to be a bit careful. Pilot Sport offers much better cornering ability than the DWS so just make sure you are more of a calm driver and not the spirited fun lover that takes corners at a higher speed. As for treadlife, Michelin's probably offer one of the highest tread life ratings in the class so I think it may just come down to price and trade off in cornering ability for your particular situation.

I'd recommend going with the Michelin's myself.