S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

How to change S500 rotors and pads?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Unhappy How to change S500 rotors and pads?

My brake pads are completely done, and rotors are wropped the car is hard to stop. I bought it like that! I just recently got it about two weeks ago. Ive been going thru many post and forums but most are for just brake pads, I want to do the rotors too.

is it just like a standard car? with the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in, tap it slide it out and the little nut that holds the rotor. and remove that and it comes off? or is there some exotic difficult design with Mercedes?

btw this is what I bought. Ive used them before with my Jaguar (boy can they stop yur car in a flash).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by shoot_da_breeze
My brake pads are completely done, and rotors are wropped the car is hard to stop. I bought it like that! I just recently got it about two weeks ago. Ive been going thru many post and forums but most are for just brake pads, I want to do the rotors too.

is it just like a standard car? with the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in, tap it slide it out and the little nut that holds the rotor. and remove that and it comes off? or is there some exotic difficult design with Mercedes?

btw this is what I bought. Ive used them before with my Jaguar (boy can they stop yur car in a flash).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
If you have changed brakes before, as you described above, you will be fine with a MB.

Nothing exotic or special.

Just make sure to have one HUGE sledge hammer , as I had to beat the living **** out of the old rotors as they were frozen on the spindle.

It will take you more time to get the car in the air and the tires off, then it does to change the brakes, IMHO
Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
If you have changed brakes before, as you described above, you will be fine with a MB.

Nothing exotic or special.

Just make sure to have one HUGE sledge hammer , as I had to beat the living **** out of the old rotors as they were frozen on the spindle.

It will take you more time to get the car in the air and the tires off, then it does to change the brakes, IMHO
what do you mean by it'll take me more time to get the car in the air and take the tires off? is it that easy?

I have one last question does the caliper come off like that or im going to have problems? because on most of the threads they talk about taking the caliper apart and all this other stuff for the brake pads.

and how do you bleed the brakes? ive never done that before and i think it could help if i did.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
1. what do you mean by it'll take me more time to get the car in the air and take the tires off? is it that easy?

2. I have one last question does the caliper come off like that or im going to have problems? because on most of the threads they talk about taking the caliper apart and all this other stuff for the brake pads.

3. and how do you bleed the brakes? ive never done that before and i think it could help if i did.
1. YES they can be changed that easily. It will take less than 10 minutes a side. Even if you are REALLY slow. You will need one small punch pin to remove the old pads. A pair of channel locks on the old pads works great to push the pistons back in, or you can rent a pad spliter at any AUTO store.

2. Yes, a couple of bolts and they are off. NOTHING tricky. I like to reinstall the bolts with a little bit of BLUE locktite on them.

3. You do NOT need to bleed the brakes when changing out pads and rotors. And I would STRONGLY suggest that IF you have NEVER done this before,DO NOT let your MB be your first.

My local MB dealer changes my brake fluid for ma for $100. Think long and hard on this before attempting yourself.

It is NOT that difficult, but if done wrong it can lead to poor braking, loss of ABS system, etc, etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
There's nothing to worry about with brake assist or anything?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 PM

What size socket are the 2 screws holding in the caliper on the rotor / spindle? I changed the pads, easiest thing ever. But I guess my rotors are really bad because the car is still hard to stop. But the pistons on the calipers I had just pushed them back with my hands and using the old brake pads. I got dirt but its nothing that some Palmolive cant take out.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM

Ive taken the calipers apart to paint them lol, now all the fluid is gone. What do I do? I was just going to put some more juice in the resivore, dot 4 right? Any idea on how many it might take? and how came i get off a stripped rotor retainer bolt? it was like that when i got it.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Ive taken the calipers apart to paint them lol, now all the fluid is gone. What do I do? I was just going to put some more juice in the resivore, dot 4 right? Any idea on how many it might take? and how came i get off a stripped rotor retainer bolt? it was like that when i got it.
Step one, YOU MUST bleed the brakes now. DO NOT drive it tell this is done. Judging by your questions and response, PLEASE have a reputable service station preform this. I would NOT recomend it for you my friend.

Next, the retaining allen head bolt is aluminum, just drill it out. Go SLOW with a good bit as all you need to do is pop the head. As you are replacing the rotors, it really doesn't matter if you hit into them.

Good luck
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
Be careful with bleeding the brakes. You should use a pressure bleeder to do it. Makes it the easiest anyways. If you try the pedal pump technique, there is a good chance you will destroy the o-rings in the brake master cylinder if you press the brake petal to far. I like Mr.Amg1's solution if you have never done it before because it is difficult to change out the brake fluid in the ABS system.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Ive bleed the brakes and they are back to like new. They stop hard. But I have some lights on the dash well messages. Whats ESP, and BAS? and the little yellow ABS is on. If I disconnect the battery and re do it. Will that reset it? Or Do I need a OBII reader or some special ABS reader?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM

2002 S320-CDI
Ive bleed the brakes and they are back to like new. They stop hard. But I have some lights on the dash well messages. Whats ESP, and BAS? and the little yellow ABS is on. If I disconnect the battery and re do it. Will that reset it? Or Do I need a OBII reader or some special ABS reader?
Are you sure you can drive?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
yes you can, but it could be the speed sensor take it out and clean it and reinstall and see if that fixes it first.