Tune question for C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
Tune question for C63

Hi guys,
as far as the tune goes I have spoken to oe and mhp. Jeremy at oe couldnt have been nicer. In fact both were very helpful.

Issue is im getting some conflicting info. mhp claims an awful lot of hp. I am otherwise hearing numbers more consistant with most other tunes I have researched.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Go with OE Tunning.
You will be very happy with Jeremys tune.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Go with Mhp
You will be very happy with andy's tune.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Go with MHP, and you will be killing all other tuned C63's
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 PM

335i
funny
Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Try to figure out were you are trying to go with your build, and work backwards. Most are finding that if you are getting a tune header package, to get a matched tune for the header.. Its becoming a matter of opinion now with the tunes the two mentioned are great.. Do our research and make your own decision. In my opinion I wouldn't by anything ever from dyne numbers or owner car results
Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by jblackthorne
Hi guys,
as far as the tune goes I have spoken to oe and mhp. Jeremy at oe couldnt have been nicer. In fact both were very helpful.

Issue is im getting some conflicting info. mhp claims an awful lot of hp. I am otherwise hearing numbers more consistant with most other tunes I have researched.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Cant go wrong with either tune. If you are looking for just a tune OE and Jeremy is the way to go. If you are going to go Tune + Headers MHP or other tune + header combos are the way to go.

I made lots of HP tune only using the OE tune and snagged the tune only record from MHP as well. Now where are my pom poms...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM

335i
Thanks for the info. I am not going to get headers, just a tune and an lsd. I was also thinking of deleting the primary cats, keeping the resonators. Has anyone done this without other exhaust mods? How’s the sound? I was told there will be some good power gains.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Thanks for the info. I am not going to get headers, just a tune and an lsd. I was also thinking of deleting the primary cats, keeping the resonators. Has anyone done this without other exhaust mods? How’s the sound? I was told there will be some good power gains.
You will gain some nice power by deleting the primaries. A member on this forum did it to his E63 and got some nice power. He has the same OE tune as another guy on here with a C63 and he was able to stay side by side with him even though the E63 weighs 400 pounds more.

It adds a bit more volume too. If you remove the resonators it will sound quite different than the stock sound.

I'm quite fond of this stock sound so im happy with just my tune but if you remove the cats im sure you will gain some nice power. Since you are starting from scratch it would be cool if you got the tune, then did a dyno, then removed the cats and dynoed again to see the gains on paper.

As to your question if your getting tune only go with Jeremy and OE. You will save yourself some cash and have the same results.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by propain
You will gain some nice power by deleting the primaries. A member on this forum did it to his E63 and got some nice power. He has the same OE tune as another guy on here with a C63 and he was able to stay side by side with him even though the E63 weighs 400 pounds more.

It adds a bit more volume too. If you remove the resonators it will sound quite different than the stock sound.

I'm quite fond of this stock sound so im happy with just my tune but if you remove the cats im sure you will gain some nice power. Since you are starting from scratch it would be cool if you got the tune, then did a dyno, then removed the cats and dynoed again to see the gains on paper.

As to your question if your getting tune only go with Jeremy and OE. You will save yourself some cash and have the same results.

Good luck.
if he is going to deleate the primary cats with an OE tune only, wouldnt that give him a CEL?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 AM

335i

Good luck.
Thanks man, I'll see what I can do. My worry is that it wont sound good with the deleted cats. I dont like raspy. Perhaps hfcs would be a good option. A little bump in sound without anything crazy??? Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Wether it be deleting them or replacing them with high flow cats what do I need to do.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 AM

335i
Originally Posted by jacob502
if he is going to deleate the primary cats with an OE tune only, wouldnt that give him a CEL?
Jeremy said they can clear that with the tune. I would imagine others could as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Banned

Jeremy said they can clear that with the tune. I would imagine others could as well.
Just clearing it wont help. Make sure he adds all the paramaters for the fuel ignition for the oxygen sensors, the readings should be like this:

Stock:

pre O2 sensor: Rich (upstream)

Post O2 sensor Lean (downstram)

with tune:

Pre O2 sensor: Stock (upstream)

Post O2 sensor: Lean (downstraem)

bypassing the CEL without adjusting the readings for O2 sensors is dangerous. It will damage your fuel system and your engine will be burning engine oil. Alot of tuners seem not to adjust this. Therefore, be careful. I'm sure OE tunining adjust the paramaters, but just make sure.

you could also do this. Tune you car, keep the primary cats while delating the secondary and resonators. This will be good for about 18-20 rwhp. while keeping the primary cars and O2 sensors stock
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
you could also do this. Tune you car, keep the primary cats while delating the secondary and resonators. This will be good for about 18-20 rwhp. while keeping the primary cars and O2 sensors stock
It would be a cold day in hell if he gained 20rwhp from deleting the secondary cats and resonators. He would probably see little to no gain at all.

The secondary cats are high flow already. Removing them does little to nothing. Removing the resonators will just change the sounds and also give you nothing. If you are going to modify the exhaust remove the primary and secondary cats. Leave the resonators and get a tune for it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM

335i
It would be a cold day in hell if he gained 20rwhp from deleting the secondary cats and resonators. He would probably see little to no gain at all.

The secondary cats are high flow already. Removing them does little to nothing. Removing the resonators will just change the sounds and also give you nothing. If you are going to modify the exhaust remove the primary and secondary cats. Leave the resonators and get a tune for it.
Who makes piping for this? I found a MBH xipe. But thats for the secondary cats. Anyone make an hfc set of pipes?

MBH also has a set of mid pipes. But Im afraid deleting all the cats is going to sound to extreme for me. I am looking for a relative low cost option to get a small sound bump and a few hp while Im at it.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Who makes piping for this? I found a MBH xipe. But thats for the secondary cats. Anyone make an hfc set of pipes?

MBH also has a set of mid pipes. But Im afraid deleting all the cats is going to sound to extreme for me. I am looking for a relative low cost option to get a small sound bump and a few hp while Im at it.
Where do you live? Any exhaust shop should be able to help you with this. If you wanted to go xpipe it would be a bit more.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM

335i
Where do you live? Any exhaust shop should be able to help you with this. If you wanted to go xpipe it would be a bit more.
Orlando, I'll ask around. I'll gather a little more info and if it makes sense I'll do it. Thanks for the help. At the very least I'll get a dyno if I do more than just the tune and post it!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

yes you are right. secondaries wont give you 20 rwhp, just asked about it. I thought both the primaries and secondaries had equal amount of cats. Anyway, the secondaris still carry 200 cells. Therefore, saying there would be no gain at all is completely false.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Orlando, I'll ask around. I'll gather a little more info and if it makes sense I'll do it. Thanks for the help. At the very least I'll get a dyno if I do more than just the tune and post it!
Try to go hook up with dadsc63 or hhughes, they are in thar area!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Lets get together sometime and talk since you are in Orlando. I have tried about every combination you can imagine. Easier to have lunch some time and talk than try to type it all. MHP is definitely the way to go IF you are gong to get headers and a tune. The MHP headers come with the mid pipes and secondary pipes that delete both sets of cats. Leave the resonators on back for balance purposes.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dads C63
Lets get together sometime and talk since you are in Orlando. I have tried about every combination you can imagine. Easier to have lunch some time and talk than try to type it all. MHP is definitely the way to go IF you are gong to get headers and a tune. The MHP headers come with the mid pipes and secondary pipes that delete both sets of cats. Leave the resonators on back for balance purposes.
Well said.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM

335i
Originally Posted by Dads C63
That would be great. I saw you on I-4. Must have been over a year ago. I was driving a red srt-10 viper truck at the time(I fell *** backwards into owning that...shockingly slow). We were west bound, you saw me looking I think, got off on the east west exit and downshifted... the sound that came out of your car!! I was laughing madly!

Last edited by jblackthorne; 07-07-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I would be more than happy to make it a threesome. Another option is for you to come to our cars n coffee which we have the last Saturday morning of every month at Rt 46 just off I-4 in Sanford. Either way it's worth having a conversation about long term possibilities before selecting a tune.

I just switched to an MHP v3 from the Kleemann tune that I have had for more than 2 years. I have many hours of seat time driving at various track events and I know my car very well. That said I can tell you that MHP's claims to improve the shifting are for real. The difference to me was so pronounced that it actually felt as if the tranny had been switched.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM

335i
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I would be more than happy to make it a threesome. Another option is for you to come to our cars n coffee which we have the last Saturday morning of every month at Rt 46 just off I-4 in Sanford. Either way it's worth having a conversation about long term possibilities before selecting a tune.

I just switched to an MHP v3 from the Kleemann tune that I have had for more than 2 years. I have many hours of seat time driving at various track events and I know my car very well. That said I can tell you that MHP's claims to improve the shifting are for real. The difference to me was so pronounced that it actually felt as if the tranny had been switched.
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I may not have a relevant car to contribute by the end of this month. I've bid on two at the auto auction thus far but their bringing blood money. My long time friend is a wholesaler out of Ocoee and he insists on me being patient as the prices drop significantly at the end of summer.
That being said, the coffee and pastries on me, I’d love to plan out my mods so I can get to work when I get her. I’ll also have some racing stories to share. Champ car atlantic, Indy lights etc. before I became a boring analyst.
Dad’s C63 pm’d I’ll let him know the new plan if it works for everyone.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
yes you are right. secondaries wont give you 20 rwhp, just asked about it. I thought both the primaries and secondaries had equal amount of cats. Anyway, the secondaris still carry 200 cells. Therefore, saying there would be no gain at all is completely false.

You will get zero gains on the track removing only the secondary cats. Its a huge waste of time. Stop giving bad information if you don't know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune question for C63