CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Matte Silver CLK63 Black FS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Matte Silver CLK63 Black FS

I typically troll Autotrader to keep on top of the CLK63 Blacks that are for sale. This one poped up today.

I think I saw pictures of this one on here at one point.

Matte Silver looks sick.

http://click.messages.autotrader.com...54514bb46a1a18
Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
SPONSOR

C63
Looks nice, i'm not sure with 23k miles its worth 87k.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by Rob@vividracing
Looks nice, i'm not sure with 23k miles its worth 87k.
Agreed. Seems like it is priced a bit high.

Is it really a "one of a kind?"

Did they offer a matte option on these cars from the factory?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I think that car and was special ordered by Scott, the AMG Chief Editor on Private Lounge. I guess he's selling it for the upcoming C63 BS.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Looks awesome, and not a terribly high price to pay if you are buying it to collect. It's certainly one of a kind.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series
So that would make it a true factory paint, in matt. I read at 2 companies that supply vinyl wrap that after 4 or more years the chances of the wrap coming off with paint damage increases I believe, so if I got the year count wrong don't bring out the shotguns on me . That would be 1 of a kind then, and why the the price is a little higher, but not what you would expect for a car more rare than a Designo color , especially since there were no options for this car (other than iPod connection).

Agreed clkwork, a collector car now, 10 or 20 years out with AMG going the way they are today and the future with building up the name even more, should be worth some good coin for it, just think of Vettes and other cars that had one-off factory options, could be a good catch for the right investor. At least it's not had the rims painted black (in case the next owner is not into that, and new, used or re-coat would be $$), and no holes in the lower back for side-exit exhaust I saw someone do to their CLK Black, or any other hosts of mods that can lower the value of such a car.

Never saw matt silver, always black or orange wrap that I have seen so far, not that I have seen it all .

Last edited by Jeff M; 08-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Jeff M
So that would make it a true factory paint, in matt. I read at 2 companies that supply vinyl wrap that after 4 or more years the chances of the wrap coming off with paint damage increases I believe, so if I got the year count wrong don't bring out the shotguns on me .
If you're impatient and the underlying paint is in bad shape, it can tear chunks of paint off, especially in areas that has been chipped/damaged. The trick is to use a heat gun, and lots of patience. Takes about 4 hrs to remove an entire car + clean off the glue.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rage2
If you're impatient and the underlying paint is in bad shape, it can tear chunks of paint off, especially in areas that has been chipped/damaged. The trick is to use a heat gun, and lots of patience. Takes about 4 hrs to remove an entire car + clean off the glue.
Thank you for correcting me, and updating the info . Did find one quote from 3M:

3M Matte Black vinyl car wrap sheet can be used on car roof, hood and body panels to give a matte finish appearance. The film is good for outdoor use up to 3 years and can be removed without damaging OEM paint.

So maybe with more garage use it can last longer, but back to post, rather have a matt paint, and would like to compare the appearance to each other. And there will be no break-edges like where the wrap ends around door jambs, trunk, hood etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Thank you for correcting me, and updating the info . Did find one quote from 3M:

3M Matte Black vinyl car wrap sheet can be used on car roof, hood and body panels to give a matte finish appearance. The film is good for outdoor use up to 3 years and can be removed without damaging OEM paint.

So maybe with more garage use it can last longer, but back to post, rather have a matt paint, and would like to compare the appearance to each other. And there will be no break-edges like where the wrap ends around door jambs, trunk, hood etc.
Well between me and a couple of my friends, we've tried every Matte option that's out there. I've used the 3M Matte Black Vinyl, I have it on my C63. There are a lot of problems with this product. It's pretty thin (needed to stretch without change in color) so it tears very easily. There's a limit of how much you can stretch it, so for bumpers or anything with lots of curves, you're going to have tons of seam marks. It's also quite strong, so even when you stretch it, it wants to go back to the original shape. This is what happens to tough edges if you don't want seams:

That's the mirror on my C63. It also doesn't protect from rock chips (thin) so it tears whenever a rock hits it (you can see that one spot on the mirror). It bubbles up a lot with high temperature changes as well. My buddy's Diablo used this product as well, and he had to redo the front bumper several times a year from various problems. I drove my C63 in the winter, so there are days where I couldn't wash the car. Water spots stay on the vinyl and can never be removed, no matter what you do to clean it up.

Best way to sum up the Vinyl product, looks good from far, but far from good.

With the factory or aftermarket Matte paint, it looks great, but it can be ruined easily. Apply any wax, or get oils on it (greasy fingers from eating) and it stays there and doesn't really go away. If you scratch it, you'll have to leave it there unless you repaint the entire area, because you can not spot paint it at all (at least nobody in the city knows how to). If you manage the car well, it's the best choice for matte finishes. The owner of the Diablo ditched the matte white vinyl and resprayed the entire car instead. I'm never touching the vinyl product again haha.

Matte Silver CLK63 Black FS-gat6c.jpg

Matte Silver CLK63 Black FS-nfy61.jpg

Third option is what I have on my CLK Black. It's basically a matte clear bra. It's the same thickness as normal 3M clear bras, so application is easy, stretches nicely, and protects from rock chips. It doesn't peel like the vinyl stuff, so most people would think it's a paint job. The downside is that the color comes from your original paint, so you can't change colors, just "matte" your color. By far the easiest to maintain. On non metallic paints, it's a true matte look, much like the vinyl. With a metallic finish, it's a satin finish. The paint doesn't reflect, but the metallic flakes do, hence the satin look. And since it doesn't change the color, you don't notice the door jams and underhood in a different color unless someone points it out because it's very subtle. Here's my car, Obsidian Black Metallic, with the matte clear bra.

Last edited by rage2; 08-03-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM

I hope there is not a test on Friday, that was a mass of informative details. Sure many people are glad they read it/have it to read if they are looking to wrap their rides!

In how well you explained the matt vinyl being strong and breaks open with stone chips reminds of the kind of plastic it is, so I am understanding what you are saying as well. The matt paint should at least be something that would not react to some chemicals when cleaning, wax and grease remover for hand oils, or maybe something just a little less of a solvent?

Can you use normal solutions to clean your 3M clear matte, or the PF1 cleaning product? I have to admit, not yet as excited about matte as others, but that’s just me, black rims are growing on me now. But yours is not a real “flat” matte, so it seems more satin, and looks great with at least some shine to it, but like I said, I am still old school liking a shine. I have the 3M clear on my CLK Black, used to be called Scotch-Cal but now its called Scotch-Guard, wtf, dumb idea.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 AM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
I installed the 3M flat black vinyl on my Jeep SRT-8. I covered the roof and the center of the hood. It made the vehicles interior like an oven so I removed it a year later. I was shocked to see that it had ruined the clear coat of the paint. I am not sure how it happened but the adhesive "stained" the clear coat a yellowish color and it did not come out. I am not sure if the heat generated from the flat black surface coupled with the Texas heat caused it, but I would not go that route again. The Jeep is silver so the damage is very obvious. Going to have to get it repainted to get it looking new again. I have installed a lot of vinyl over the years (and install PPF for a living) so I was realy shocked to see this. Just be aware that this is a possibility if going the binyl route...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Can you use normal solutions to clean your 3M clear matte, or the PF1 cleaning product?
I don't use cleaning products on it at all. Didn't have to for clear bra as well. Just water and soap, then dry with a soft towel. The trick is to wash often, especially with bug splatter because it stains, so I've never had to use any products.

Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
I installed the 3M flat black vinyl on my Jeep SRT-8. I covered the roof and the center of the hood. It made the vehicles interior like an oven so I removed it a year later. I was shocked to see that it had ruined the clear coat of the paint. I am not sure how it happened but the adhesive "stained" the clear coat a yellowish color and it did not come out.
That's a weird one. I've seen this once, on a clear bra installed on a car with aftermarket paint that hasn't been cured yet. Shouldn't happen on factory paint.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
That's a weird one. I've seen this once, on a clear bra installed on a car with aftermarket paint that hasn't been cured yet. Shouldn't happen on factory paint.
Yeah the paint was two years old at that point. When it was removed it was close to three years old. It looked like the adhesive "baked" into the clear coat. I know the film would get incredibly hot when sitting out in the sun... so I can only assume the heat contributed to the damage. I have installed vinyl numerous times before and never seen that issue. And never seen it with paint protection film.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM

I don't use cleaning products on it at all. Didn't have to for clear bra as well. Just water and soap, then dry with a soft towel. The trick is to wash often, especially with bug splatter because it stains, so I've never had to use any products.
Thanks again for all the great info, and even more now . Heard of owners on the detailers forum that their 3M clear bra or Scotch-Cal on any painted surface that got marred/stained from road cones (tracking at autocrosses) and from tar, or some oil bug guts, found nothing would remove them! And these guys tried everything, even stuff that would wreck the film. It was not until there was enough interest that a company had a product made up for cleaning this 3M (or other brands) film, that PF1 I mentioned, they have a cleaner just for this film, and a wax that won't affect the film (most waxes have some petroleum that is not recommended for these films) but you cannot use any kind of wax, just filling in all the details I learned to share with others here. But the wax goes a long way in protecting from stains taking hold, just like not having wax on your painted surfaces, not very protected from the elements!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM

I have to admit, though I don’t like flat black as it takes away from there being much shadows left, and the wonderful and graceful body lines of a great car all going blank, I do like your black with just a bit of shine/satin like you said, I think this will be the next evolution of matte, same as some cars (not yours) don’t look that great with all black rims that disappear from a distance and look no better than someone’s beater with missing hub caps on steel wheels (just my poor opinion on it, sorry to others on that one, really, it’s your car and you don’t need my fricken approval on what “you” want to do with “your car”!!!). The evolution now seems for other cars going with black rims is to have subtle/small brighter area, chrome or silver or color lips, inside sections etc, those look much better! And seen enough high-end cars with color areas to match the color of the car, best looking big change to rims since making them in such large diameters.

I looked at the matte silver again for sale, I do like that matte/the only color I do, and now I know why (and others liked it too) it is as you say, the metal flake still comes out with mattes, and the Iridium has lots of iridescent metal flakes, and from this the body lines, the wonderful shape of the car is not lost to pure flat mattes that often diminish all pure black cars, and those without metal flakes.