Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 SLK250 CDI, 100% UnAmerican

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2012 SLK250 CDI, 100% UnAmerican

Check out today's homepage article on the new 2012 250SLK CDI which won't be released stateside. Do you think MB should release the new diesel roadster in the States? What will it take to finally make Americans ready for diesel?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
[QUOTE= What will it take to finally make Americans ready for diesel?[/QUOTE]

A lobotamy !! or higher gas prices .

The Americans are in a rut.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
American's won't accept an expensive 4-cylinder roadster. Thats why the Sky/Redline, S2000, MR2, Mini convertible and PT Cruiser convertible didn't sell well. The RX7/8 sold well because of its oddity engine.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:51 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
girl car!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by MBWorld Editor
Check out today's homepage article on the new 2012 250SLK CDI which won't be released stateside. Do you think MB should release the new diesel roadster in the States? What will it take to finally make Americans ready for diesel?
When the government finally wakes up and removes the additional tax on diesel fuel maybe there maybe more incentive to drive a diesel. Cheapest diesel where I live is 26cents more than regular unleaded.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by edwinwalke
When the government finally wakes up and removes the additional tax on diesel fuel maybe there maybe more incentive to drive a diesel. Cheapest diesel where I live is 26cents more than regular unleaded.
The higher price of diesel is not due to the governemnt. It is due primarily to the "date-raping" oil companies. There is a glut of oil, gas, and diesel on the market today. (Remember the down-turned economy?) They try to BS us that demand is on the rise.....ummmm, excuse me, if demand is down how can demand be up too? There are tankers at sea that have no way to unload because all the depots are full. In a true capatilistic market, the excess supply should drive down prices. As this is not happening, it tells us that the market is not fair. It is a corrupt market that prevents supply and demand from moving as they would in an open market.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Why not ask the bright lights at Mbusa what their reasoning is for not offering a selective line of diesels available elsewhere....

Mb diesels, like the 240 and 300 series were iconic with a certain group of buyers and helped continue the image of brand excellence and leadership as much as the SL series did for others.

I want to be able to order what I want and MB should accommodate their clients. It can't be just regulation hurdles.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Thanks, I really enjoyed that article. I think the biggest hangup for diesel is the perceived lack of fill-up stations and the price premium over gasoline. For me, I just like high revving engines and diesel doesn't deliver.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM

2001 SLK320 Firemist Red
I've wanted an MBZ Diesel convertible since my '71 220D Sedan.
I should have chopped off the top of that when I had a chance.
Back then though, they were a tad sootier.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Cheapest diesel where I live is 26cents more than regular unleaded.
It's unfair to compare the price of Diesel fuel to Regular gas when talking Mercedes.IIRC there's not a Mercedes available in this country today that doesn't *require* Premium.And in my neck of the woods Diesel is typically priced a penny or two above Mid-Grade.Add to that that *my* Benz,for example,has an EPA highway rating that's 37% better than its gas powered (V6) twin....and even better than that for its V8 gas powered twin and you have a no-brainer,fuel economy-wise.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM

2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by listerone
It's unfair to compare the price of Diesel fuel to Regular gas when talking Mercedes.IIRC there's not a Mercedes available in this country today that doesn't *require* Premium.And in my neck of the woods Diesel is typically priced a penny or two above Mid-Grade.Add to that that *my* Benz,for example,has an EPA highway rating that's 37% better than its gas powered (V6) twin....and even better than that for its V8 gas powered twin and you have a no-brainer,fuel economy-wise.
Don't know where you are located but here in the shadow of the Nations capital diesel is higher that premium. If the federal excise tax on diesel was removed it would be cheaper that premium gasoline.

I drive a diesel and have for the better part of my motoring days and will continue.

Point is the general public look at the cost and perception that they are dirty and loud and walk away. The choice of diesel powered automobiles is also rather limited in the USA (MB, VW, Audi, BMW).
Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
It's up to the car manufacturers to 'educate' the American public on diesels. Run an ad campaign 6-8 months prior to release and watch them pour in to buy! Also look at the value of our used GL's as a benchmark for American's desire to own them! I've been a huge diesel fan since my father owned a converted Olds 98 back in the early '80's! From there he had a BMW 4 cylinder diesel in a Lincoln Mark VII - that was an awesome car! He never shut it off in the ND winters! Previous posters are right, drop the stupid tax on diesel which only drives the costs up on everything that is shipped. I know, liberals probably think that 'companies' pay that tax - but they don't, it is passed on to consumers. When you market the fact that one can drive 650+ miles in a large SUV down the hiway - I think more people would pay attention!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by BJ021
a converted Olds 98
There was no such thing.

From there he had a BMW 4 cylinder diesel in a Lincoln Mark VII
6 cylinder.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cran
There was no such thing.

6 cylinder.

#1 -Ah, sorry, yes there was! Small block 350 GM conversions were alive and well back then! They were not overly perfect - but suited the old man just fine! He drove that one a long time.

#2 -My bad, it was an in-line 6.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
It's up to the car manufacturers to 'educate' the American public on diesels. Run an ad campaign 6-8 months prior to release and watch them pour in to buy!
Although I'm about as strident a "small government" kind of guy as you'll find a good part of the responsibility rests with the Federal government,IMO.This is the case because 1)private passenger cars are a *VITAL* part of most people's lives and 2) energy security is *VITAL* to this country (just look at the Middle East today).Tax incentives,madates for manufacturers and perhaps other measures as well are essential here.There's not a major car maker in the world that doesn't produce many diesels (somewhere...Europe,Asia,etc) and this includes GM and Ford,so these mandates shouldn't cause serious long term problems for manufacturers.These measures,combined with the enormous differences in today's diesels vs those of 30...20...and even 10 years ago will do the trick.

Case in point...each of the several people I've allowed to drive my two diesels...all of whom had never driven a diesel before...have reacted at the end of their drive with one word...."wow".I kid you not.This was particularly true of my BMW which was much lighter,and had a good deal more horsepower *and* torque,than does my Benz.

Last edited by listerone; 08-31-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
It's up to the car manufacturers to 'educate' the American public on diesels. Run an ad campaign 6-8 months prior to release and watch them pour in to buy!
Oh,and I forgot to mention...when it comes to diesels at least the Federal government's position regarding pollution requirements in California and a few other states should be to tell those states to go bleep themselves!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
#1 -Ah, sorry, yes there was! Small block 350 GM conversions were alive and well back then! They were not overly perfect - but suited the old man just fine! He drove that one a long time.
That's strange...your experience is far different from *everything* I've read about the GM diesels of the 70's and 80's.I've read that they were absolute disasters which gave GM a very big black eye at the time.However,I don't personally know anyone who owned one so all I can go on is what I've read.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
Small block 350 GM conversions were alive and well back then!
There is no such thing as a converted diesel. Whomever told you that was an idiot.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
He's back . Another Alias!!! hah hah ha
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

2006 E320CDI
[quote=BJ021;4814838]#1 -Ah, sorry, yes there was! Small block 350 GM conversions were alive and well back then! They were not overly perfect - but suited the old man just fine! He drove that one a long time.

I think what he is saying the GM took a small block 350 GM block and converted it to diesel. There were all sorts of problems with them blowing pistons and cranks because GM did not reengineer the engine block for the additional stress that the diesel produced.

They were a product of the oil embargo in the mid 70s. I remember it well as well as the gas lines to get gasoline. This is when I bought my first MB Diesel.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The higher price of diesel is not due to the governemnt.
Tje federal diesel tax is 6 cents higher per gallon than gasoline tax (24.4 cents vs. 18.4 cents).
ULSD adds 5 to 25 cents per gallon to production cost of diesel.

It is due primarily to the "date-raping" oil companies. There is a glut of oil, gas, and diesel on the market today. (Remember the down-turned economy?) They try to BS us that demand is on the rise.....ummmm, excuse me, if demand is down how can demand be up too? There are tankers at sea that have no way to unload because all the depots are full.
And those tankers are full of oil owned by JP Morgan which they purchased when the government released part of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, resulting in a temporary dip in prices during which JPM and other connected banks and speculators loaded up.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cran
There is no such thing as a converted diesel. Whomever told you that was an idiot.
Do a 1/2 *** .3 second google search would ya? GM took a small bock and built a diesel around it. They had tons of problems and as another poster mentioned, they got a black eye for it - and it might be part of the reason people in the US shy away from them. My old man was lucky with his - plus he had a great mechanic and they got it to go 175K miles in the frozen tundra over about 7 years...it was a 1979. Please use this forum as a constructive conversation - not body slamming about things you don't know a lot about.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by listerone
Although I'm about as strident a "small government" kind of guy as you'll find a good part of the responsibility rests with the Federal government,IMO.This is the case because 1)private passenger cars are a *VITAL* part of most people's lives and 2) energy security is *VITAL* to this country (just look at the Middle East today).Tax incentives,madates for manufacturers and perhaps other measures as well are essential here.There's not a major car maker in the world that doesn't produce many diesels (somewhere...Europe,Asia,etc) and this includes GM and Ford,so these mandates shouldn't cause serious long term problems for manufacturers.These measures,combined with the enormous differences in today's diesels vs those of 30...20...and even 10 years ago will do the trick.

Case in point...each of the several people I've allowed to drive my two diesels...all of whom had never driven a diesel before...have reacted at the end of their drive with one word...."wow".I kid you not.This was particularly true of my BMW which was much lighter,and had a good deal more horsepower *and* torque,than does my Benz.
Totally agree with what you say. But to me it's always much quicker to move people with creative and smart marketing vs. having the government change their stance and help diesels along for a change. I think they should get their head out of their *** and lower the tax as it's just eating into our CPG's prices...etc. Diesel should get back to where it was, cheaper than regular gas - when it does, along with great diesel marketing - people will flock.

People love my truck too. They are blown away at how quick it is out of the gate. When we bought it I drove the 450 vs. the 320 - we both liked the get up and go better in the diesel on and apples to apples same road test. I try to get people to buy diesels - but most don't listen well...only gotten 2 buddies in 4 years to buy them. Still trying!

Last edited by BJ021; 09-02-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM

2001 SLK320 Firemist Red
Hyperion, I agree the SLK is somewhat of a girl's car.
But I'd grab a CLK Diesel convertible in a heartbeat though.
Also, I think it's a combo of regulation and perception that keeps
the oil burners out of the US generally. And believe it or not, our
"clean" diesel is still dirtier than Europe's (from what I understand),
and this causes issues with emmission control *designs*.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI
GM did not reengineer the engine block for the additional stress that the diesel produced.
Sorry, you don't have any clue what you're talking about.

The only common part between the gas 350 and diesel 350 is the valvecovers.

Do a 1/2 *** .3 second google search would ya?
Please do. That will prevent you from making such a fool of yourself!

GM took a small bock and built a diesel around it.
*buzz* WRONG!

Please use this forum as a constructive conversation - not body slamming about things you don't know a lot about.
Don't talk about things you know nothing of and I won't need to correct you.

The olds 350 was pure diesel, just a very poorly built one. EVERYTHING but the valvecovers is unique to the diesel. The block, crank, rods, heads, etc are all pure diesel.
So, as suggested, please do a google search next time.

Last edited by Cran; 09-02-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 SLK250 CDI, 100% UnAmerican