CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

fuel sending unit gone bad

Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, F30 335i M-Sport
fuel sending unit gone bad

So a few days ago I filled up my tank and started my car and my fuel gauge was completely at zero, the might wasn't even on. drive home. a few hours later i go to drive the car but this time the gas says its full. now it just does whatever it feels like doing. i have done a little research and I am pretty sure that it is the fuel sending unit. I saw that it was like $700 to fix which is ridiculous. does anyone know a Do It Yourself for this project? that as what i was unable to find.
or anyone maybe have any quick easy fixes that don't need to replace the whole sending unit?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

MB CLK 320 2001
Hello All, I am glad that we have this kind of Questions and fast asnwer from MBWorld. My proplem that my fuel tank is full but the level front of the driver side is not reading it, its going up and down and once i start the car it showe its empty completly could you please advice me what I have to do, some adivce me that the fuel level sensor, I can not find it and I dont know if its the problem from it. could you please give me what I have to do my car is MB CLK 320 model 2001 by the way my car is for GCC waiting your reply soon
Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM

CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Hi guys. I had the same problem with my 230K after 2 months of getting stuck in the garage with the tank empty and warning light on. When i took my car home and filled it up, the gauge intermittently read empty or full. The long and short of it is that my CLK is now with the dealers and they said they need to replace 2 fuel sending units plus my fuel pump :-( i think a DIY to replace the sending unit is difficult since i assume that these are inside the tank.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
This has happened to me a few times and I have managed to resolve the issue by putting in some injection cleaner into the fuel as sulphur can build on the contacts and prevent the reading. Use a good quality fuel/injection cleaner and give it a couple of weeks and see. You may need to add a couple of bottles to get it to work but it usually starts workign again.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Originally Posted by A1EK
This has happened to me a few times and I have managed to resolve the issue by putting in some injection cleaner into the fuel as sulphur can build on the contacts and prevent the reading. Use a good quality fuel/injection cleaner and give it a couple of weeks and see. You may need to add a couple of bottles to get it to work but it usually starts workign again.
I have also resolved a similar probllem with a fuel system cleaner and ensuring that I only run quality name brand gas. No Walmart fuel or Mom n Pop shops. No problems for 2+ years.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 AM

2001 CLK320, 2000 SL320 V6
Exactly - use a good quality high octane fuel. Also ensure you remove the ignition FOB key whilst you fill up - interfers with the computer
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by unlukky
I have also resolved a similar probllem with a fuel system cleaner and ensuring that I only run quality name brand gas. No Walmart fuel or Mom n Pop shops. No problems for 2+ years.
definately, avoid cheap fuels (UK supermarket fuels), the grade is poor and the high suphlur seems to upset the fuel sender.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Originally Posted by A1EK
Originally Posted by unlukky
Namely Chevron, to be specific. I always fill up with Chevron 91 and use the Techron concentrate every other oil change and never had any problems in my 9 years of driving.

If you're having problems with your gas gauge, try running the Techron concentrate through your tank a couple of times (heard somewhere it's not recommended to do it more than 3 times between oil changes). Read the back of the bottle to ensure you follow the procedure correctly; make sure you're putting the concentrate in first when you have a minimal of gas in the tank, and fill up as usual. Drive it like you stole it through that whole tank, rinse and repeat.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
How does the key fob interfere with the fuel level? I haven't had any problems, and yesterday I filled up with the key in the ignition (not running) and my gauge stopped at 3/4, but I could not force any more gas into the tank. Will it reset itself at next fill? I'm waiting to see if it goes down correctly. I always buy Shell Premium 93 octane at the same station next to my house.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Mercedes clk430 2001
Fuel Sending Unit

Originally Posted by twinsin
Namely Chevron, to be specific. I always fill up with Chevron 91 and use the Techron concentrate every other oil change and never had any problems in my 9 years of driving.

If you're having problems with your gas gauge, try running the Techron concentrate through your tank a couple of times (heard somewhere it's not recommended to do it more than 3 times between oil changes). Read the back of the bottle to ensure you follow the procedure correctly; make sure you're putting the concentrate in first when you have a minimal of gas in the tank, and fill up as usual. Drive it like you stole it through that whole tank, rinse and repeat.

I had purchased a 2001 CLK430. After a few weeks the fuel gauge would not register at all. On one post I read about putting in Techron Chevron. I did that but to no avail. I was convinced that I would need to replace the fuel sending units. I also had a problem with the clock not reading. I saw a youtube video about replacing the cable. I did that but in doing that I had to remove all the gauges including the gas gauge. I was also having problems with the speed odometer not reading correct. after putting everything back together. Everything started working again including the gas gauge. The only thing I can figure is that the gauge needles were not seated correctly and after I removed and re installed them I must of seated it correct. So with that said. you can try this before you spend 800 on fuel sending units. You never know it just may work.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
I had this issue occur AFTER the car died on me yesterday due to no fuel in the tank. The computer showed me I have 3L then 6L but in reality i had 0. The needle was above the bottom so I kept driving but it gave out of course and CEL light came on and was flashing. Hoping I didn't do any damage as I pulled over in less than 500m and got it towed home. The tow truck bought me some gas and filled it but engine continued to misfire and ran rough until the fuel ran through the system properly. So today I decided to get a fuel system treatment by LIQUI-MOLY. I put the full treatment into the tank and proceeded to fill the tank until full. But during the fill, the pump would stop and I had to press it manually many times to get the tank to fill up all the way. When I started the car with a FULL tank, the needle shot up the full. then went down to 0 while car was running. As soon as I started driving, the needle went right back up to Full and stayed there. I didn't drive the car much today and just parked it. Hoping its not major and hoping the fuel additive isn't to blame.

The lesson is, FILL YOUR TANK EVEN IF IT SHOWS YOU HAVE 10L OF FUEL! Save yourself the hassle. I spent 3 hours to get towed home - 15 mins away
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (11-12-2020)