C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Radio reception and Keyless entry not working 2005 c230kompressor hatchback

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Radio reception and Keyless entry not working 2005 c230kompressor hatchback

Hi guys, I recently joined this forum since my gf purchased a 2005 c230kompressor coupe hatchback not too long ago.

Im hoping you guys can help me out with a problem which I have been scouring the forums and web in hopes of solving.Ive been getting more info and closer to a prognosis but am open to any additional help anyone can provide.

Recently my gf's car went in for tinting. I will first say that the tint is a non metallic based tint by Formula 1. What Im thinking is that the process of the install (whether it be moisture from applying the film or just simply disturbing the wires within the headliner or c-pillar where the antenna is) damaged the reception and keyless entry capabilities (since they are linked)? Ive read many threads but there seems to be limited info to pinpointing the actual problem.

My question is, since there seems to be several parts to the antenna in the rear windshield, is it possible to diagnose which component of the several is damaged? There seems to be about two main antennas and perhaps 1 or 2 connectors that are subject to damage.... I just need to narrow it down to which one?

I realize that I should check the fuse (which I did in the trunk) and several other common things to consider first before diving deeper into the problem. At this point I'm stuck since electronics are tricky.

Im hoping some of you have info on the fix since it seems to be a problem several people have experienced?

I appreciate any of your help and if people would prefer to private message me please do. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
See post number 45

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ock-coupe.html
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM

c230
Thanks alot Glyn M Ruck,
The thing with the coupe though is Im not sure based on that description which antenna it is. according to some schematics on the web, it seems to indicate that there are 2 antennas (both of which cost several hundred of dollars each) where one is mounted along the top of the rear windshield and the other somewhere in the c-pillar on the driver side. Both seem to be accessible by moisture in the tinting process since the rear film seems to go to all corners of the rear windshield compromising both those areas. Do you suspect which one is more likely the culprit and is there any electronics test to test which amplifier is not working..... the problem im just tackling is that id hate to replace one and it be the other if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for your help.... that thread did improve my understanding but im still trying to figure which antenna it is.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

You are confusing Coupe with Sedan antenna amplifiers? The antenna itself is in the glass of the rear window. The sedan has the amplifier behind the LHS rear C pillar cover.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM

c230
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You are confusing Coupe with Sedan antenna amplifiers? The antenna itself is in the glass of the rear window. The sedan has the amplifier behind the LHS rear C pillar cover.
I realize there is an antenna that spans the upper part of the rear windshield but are there not 2ndary antennas that run from those ones in the rear windshield and down the c-pillar as well?

Are you saying that is the only amplifier antenna on that car?
Thanks again
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - there is only one RF antenna amp - you need to find out which one because they have been updated a couple of times. If the amp is blown then make sure you take your VIN to the dealer so that they can get the correct replacement.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Dinan
I realize there is an antenna that spans the upper part of the rear windshield but are there not 2ndary antennas that run from those ones in the rear windshield and down the c-pillar as well?

Are you saying that is the only amplifier antenna on that car?
Thanks again
The sedan has a strip across the rear window at the top. The coupe may have an additional amplifier which the sedan does not have.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

EPC does not show 2 amps mounted at the same time. But hey - who knows
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM

c230
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
EPC does not show 2 amps mounted at the same time. But hey - who knows
Hmmmm.... so the coupe may have several rf amps> Glyn... do you have a website on parts where I can punch in a mercedes oem vin and then it returns a database on every part for that car?

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have no access to such sites.

I don't believe it has 2 amps. I fail to see how they would work. The sedan definitely has one amp. I believe the Coupe will be the same for standard RF. i.e. Radio & Key.