E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E320 "Special Edition?"

Old 09-04-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320
1995 E320 "Special Edition?"

I ran the VIN on my 1995 E320 through CarFax and it came back with the words "Special Edition". I don't see anything special about the car except the paint (black pearl) and the steering wheel does telescope which I think most of this model year's don't. It does have a sticker in the windshield with a signature and "Stuggart" with a large check mark on it. Any Ideas on what is a "Speical Edition"?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
The ''special Edition'' was a a standard E320, loaded with additional options as standard equipment like a CD charger in the trunk, a built-in Cell Phone, rear window shade and some others
jackd
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-21-2023)
Old 09-05-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
How special is it?

They called it a "Special Edition", but it may not really be all that special. Mercedes just loaded up the car with many of the available options and called it the Special Edition. I have the Azure Blue paint, which is a very nice color and seems to be a bit rare, but I think anyone could have ordered the color. The wheels are a five-spoke alloy and look like the newer E430, although now I have AMG Monoblocks and use the original wheels just for winter. I have the integrated hands-free phone, CD changer, and a kind of upgraded radio with a lot of bass boost. I also have stainless steel doorsills. They are not the illuminated ones. They look real nice and they do make the car look special to me. Perhaps what really makes my car special is the fact that it was the last year for the W124 and Mercedes had "fixed" many of the things that everyone seems to modify on the older W124s. The lights are nice like Euro, the stereo is decent, the car is all one color without the black rubber strips and black bumpers so it looks modern, and the I6 motor is just amazing. I feel that there is no need to modify my motor, it is wonderful in every way. So that is it. Is it really special? I love the car, so it is quite special to me.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:33 PM

1995 E320
Thanks for the replies. I think you are right. The color is Black Pearl and while I see black ones I don't see the Black Pearl very often. It does have a built in cell phone but isn't hands free.

I can identify with the love for the breed if not the car itself. My first MB was an 82 300D Turbo. I've tried to own other cars, but end up trading them after a year or so. (honda accord, ford bronco, camry).

The one mod that I have made to it was to put Yoko AVS DB tires on it. They are directional tires so can't rotate them from side to side but the ride is incredible. We have lousy roads down here in Corpus Christi, they call them Calichi. They are like gravel roads sprayed with an asphault top. Anyway, the AVS DB's make the inside of the car incredibly quiet and I would recommend these tires to anyone.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:28 PM

All of the above
Typically MB will offer a "Special edition" during the final model year of a specific model. In 2002 there was an E320/E430 SE with special paint colors, trim and wheels. Currently we have a special edition 2004 SLK (a new model is coming for '05).

I was not working for MB in '95 but it sounds like they did the same thing during the last year of the 124 bodies.

P.S. Hi Ksing44, how is it going?
Old 09-06-2003, 12:04 AM
RJI

The Special Edition models were introduced around April of 1995. The Special Edition package included special metallic paint, special alloy wheels, integrated analog cell phone, trunk mounted six-disk CD player, high performance 10 speaker sound system, drivers seat memory, electrically adjustable steering column (no tilt), stainless steel door sills and burl walnut interior trim. On the E320 and E300 diesel the extra cost was $1,295 for the options that were worth about $4,300. The E420 package cost only $495 since it already had burl walnut trim, driver seat memory, and special wheels. Paint colors available were Moonstone Grey, Azure Blue, Sapphire Black (exclusive to the Special Edition) and a new color called Brilliant Emerald Green.

The official Mercedes Benz of North America position was that the release of the 1995 E Class Special Edition was to celebrate the 10th year of production of the W124 series. I think it was more likely that back in 1995, Mercedes had a tough time moving the W124 E Class since the new W210 E Class was going to be released in the 1996 model year. Lexus had also been taking sales away from Mercedes Benz. I’m sure the real reason for creating the Special Edition model for the 300D, E320 and E420 was to spur sales.

Last edited by RJI; 09-06-2003 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:42 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
SE Wheel spoke number correction

Special Edition Wheels:
I counted the spokes on my OEM Special Edition wheels and I have to correct myself. The wheels have 6 spokes, not 5. I am too late to edit my original post, so all I can do is leave a trail of corrections. I thought the wheels were really the easiest immediate way to determine if a car was a Special Edition W124, but after reading RJI’s comment I’m not sure. Did all E420 W124s come with the 6-spoke wheels?

Stereo:
I have 6 speakers, not 10, although I’m sure I have a Special Edition and I do have the trunk-mounted CD and hands-free phone. I don’t think the 10-speaker systems came out until the W210s.

Hello CME4BENZ,
Everything is great with my car and me. I will be stopping by to get my 75K mile check-up and some of that Starbucks coffee. I will be able say hello in person and maybe I’ll get to see your CE.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:58 AM

1995 E320
Wheel Spokes

Well, just for kicks I went out and counted mine. It has 8 spokes. Strange.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:28 PM
RJI

I have seen a number of 1995 E Class cars advertised on eBay as Special Editions and listed as a Special Edition in a Car Fax report but they are not. They don't have the stainless steel door sills which is the easiest way to identify them.

Black Pearl is actually a common Mercedes color in that era and it isn't listed as a Special Edition color. Is it possible that dealers tried to sell some of the optioned out cars as Special Editions and titled them accordingly? My information about options and prices for the Special Edition packages came from a Mercedes ad in 1995.

The photo of a Special Edition in the ad shows 6 spoke wheels. My E420 Special Edition has these 6 spoke wheels and a friend's E320 Special Edition also has the same 6 spoke wheels.

A 1995 E Class sales brochure shows both the E320 and E420 with 8 spoke wheels. It also indicates that the E420 comes standard with a high performance sound system with 10 speakers and the E320 has a 6 speaker system as standard. The 10 speaker system is listed as optional for the E320.

My E420 Special Edition has 6 speaker locations or grills. Is it possible that there is more than one speaker in some of the locations so that the 10 speaker reference is accurate?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:38 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Not all '95 E320s were special editions. The 8 spokes wheels should not really have spokes but half round circle holes. The 10 speaker audio system probally refers to tweeters added to the dash and rear deck locations.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:31 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Smile I may have a 10-speaker system

Hey zeronero, that is interesting about the tweeters. I may have to pop off the grills to see if I have two-way speakers with tweeters. I suppose the Dealer’s Parts Department would know too. I may have a 10-speaker system after all. RJI’s breakdown of the SE seems very accurate and complete, based on the options I have in my car.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 AM
RJI

ksing44:

In an earlier post you mentioned that your car was painted all one color. I forgot to mention that the Special Editions had the lower body panels and bumpers painted the same color as the rest of the car. Based on the 1995 sales brochure pictures, it looks like the regular 1995 models still had the two-tone paint schemes. I know sometimes owners have the lower panels repainted the same color as the body, so you have to be careful using this as a definite identification method. However, it is another difference that can help determine if one has a Special Edition.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:21 PM

E320
Originally Posted by RJI
The Special Edition models were introduced around April of 1995. The Special Edition package included special metallic paint, special alloy wheels, integrated analog cell phone, trunk mounted six-disk CD player, high performance 10 speaker sound system, drivers seat memory, electrically adjustable steering column (no tilt), stainless steel door sills and burl walnut interior trim. On the E320 and E300 diesel the extra cost was $1,295 for the options that were worth about $4,300. The E420 package cost only $495 since it already had burl walnut trim, driver seat memory, and special wheels. Paint colors available were Moonstone Grey, Azure Blue, Sapphire Black (exclusive to the Special Edition) and a new color called Brilliant Emerald Green.

The official Mercedes Benz of North America position was that the release of the 1995 E Class Special Edition was to celebrate the 10th year of production of the W124 series. I think it was more likely that back in 1995, Mercedes had a tough time moving the W124 E Class since the new W210 E Class was going to be released in the 1996 model year. Lexus had also been taking sales away from Mercedes Benz. I’m sure the real reason for creating the Special Edition model for the 300D, E320 and E420 was to spur sales.
l have two plugs in the my trunk one on each side of my trunk? Is one for cd and what is the other one for ? Thanks