E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Text Message Import Failure

Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Luxury
Text Message Import Failure

Hey guys:

Need a little help. Purchased a new 2012 E350 Luxury. Love the car. I have a Blackberry Style phone (9670) from Sprint. Successfully paired the phone to the car with no problems and it works fine. My Blackberry does not support text message export but the Comand system requests an import from the phone upon every start up, about 3 minutes after the Bluetooth sync. This initiates an error dialogue box that says "Text Message Import Failure" and I have to close the box out. Not life ending but a pain nonetheless. Anybody have a solution to this or a suggestion? I would think there's a place in the Comand system where I could turn off the "Text Importing" option as most phones can't do this yet.

I've re-paired the phone three times to see if it would correct itself but it won't.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
i just bought my e350 last week and i get the message too. i called my sales guy and he said all new MBs are prepped to receive text messages, but the complete software is not installed yet? i'll be available later this year? so he says??

It is really annoying though!! evey time you start the car you get the message and you have to hit "ok" to clear it. I was going to try re-pairing my droid x, and see if it still does it, but maybe i won't now since i know it won't clear for you?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
Wow...Now that's innovative thinking. Install software in a car that will work for like 5% of the population, don't have a user option allowing the owner to turn it off and don't tell the customer to expect the annoyance in a $60K car.....nice. So what happens when this "new software" is available? Will we receive a text message? Oops...nope. We can't. The car / phone can't do that...................
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Yeah I have the same problem with my '12 on blackberry and android. Quite annoying but I barely txt so it wouldn't be that useful. E-mail would be useful
Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else having this issue with SMS not working on their MY12 E-Class? The error message is such a nuisance but perhaps it is user error? Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
OK....Here's the odd thing. About three weeks ago the error message stopped appearing on the display screen upon startup. Well this morning it appeared again forcing me to clear it from the display. There should be a place in the car's software where you can tell it NOT TO SEARCH FOR TEXT MESSAGES. This is definitely a car and not a phone issue. My phone is not capable of exporting text messages. The car's software should be intelligent enough to recognize that or have a user selectable switch that tells it not to try.......Frustrating.....and MB support is clueless..........
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Gagman
OK....Here's the odd thing. About three weeks ago the error message stopped appearing on the display screen upon startup. Well this morning it appeared again forcing me to clear it from the display. There should be a place in the car's software where you can tell it NOT TO SEARCH FOR TEXT MESSAGES. This is definitely a car and not a phone issue. My phone is not capable of exporting text messages. The car's software should be intelligent enough to recognize that or have a user selectable switch that tells it not to try.......Frustrating.....and MB support is clueless..........
There is a place in the advanced diagnostics....pretty much the same place where you can turn ON internet on Comand 4.5 which Mercedes tells you isn't in the US car (because they turn it off).
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
It can be done.

I have a six month old Blackberry 9780 Bold from T-Mobile. I synced the Blackberry with the car on the first day I drove the car (2012 E350 Estate) in February and I have no problems with any of my phones. Everytime I enter the car and turn on the engine (and comand) the car immediately detects the phone but there is NO MESSAGE or notification or anything of that sort. I just know it detects it because I see the phone listed in the telephone option of the COMAND. The synchronization is seamless and smooth, and I don't have to press anything.

Whenever my wife and daughter enters the car (each have their own phones), the car detects their phones and syncs WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION or any errors.

I have not gotten a single error message in my Comand regarding ANYTHING.

It can be done.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 PM

ML350
One way to avoid the error message is to not delete your text messages on your phone once you've paired with the car...either leave them on the phone, or delete them from the car's interface and it will let you delete them from both the car and the phone. If you already have the problem, you'd have to delete the pairing and re-pair once again and for all.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
I appreciate the responses but I'm not having a problem with pairing or downloading the address book from my Blackberry. It's simply a problem with the car trying to access TEXT MESSAGES from my phone and my phone does not have the capability of EXPORTING them. There should be an easily accessable user selectable option to turn this off......there isn't as far as I can tell.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM

E350
This seems so simple to fix....should give it to my 11 year old grandson....he'll fix it. Come on MB, you're giving your buyers a big PITA!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I appreciate the responses but I'm not having a problem with pairing or downloading the address book from my Blackberry. It's simply a problem with the car trying to access TEXT MESSAGES from my phone and my phone does not have the capability of EXPORTING them. There should be an easily accessable user selectable option to turn this off......there isn't as far as I can tell.

Why is your car trying to access your text message?
My car has NOT tried to access the text message from my blackberry EVER.
You must have it set to auto access of text.

./
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM

E350
The MB guys at corporate said that this is a known problem and the only way to stop it is to have Verizon stop my text messaging capabilities. I removed all my old text msgs and I no longer get the warning. Since I don't use TM it's OK w/me.
What I think happens is that the car sees that there is a TM and tries to import it but, since the phone does not have export capabilities, it fails. MB says there is no way to shut of the TM import. My dealer has never heard of the Issue...right!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM

2009 ML 350
Tex-message failed to import

I am having the same problem with my 2 month old ML350. Every day when I drive the car the message pops up . it usually happens soon after I get going but it is rather random and repeats the message sometimes a few times during my drive. It is annoying that the message keeps popping up. Mercedes service does not have a fix for it at least the last time I asked them to see what they can do. I have 2 Droids it is paired to, a Bionic and an 'X'.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM

E350
I deleted all stored txt msgs and the problem went away....at least for the past month....good luck!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
This would be a nice hack to have .. what MY did MB implement this functionality? Would it work with a 2010 E550 with an Iphone 4S??
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

E350 Bluetec
I have the same issue, it worked at one point, but when my phone updated its android OS to ice cream, I started getting the message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS550, 2016 HD Roadglide (120ST), 1972 Super Beetle
Originally Posted by Robdado4
I have the same issue, it worked at one point, but when my phone updated its android OS to ice cream, I started getting the message
Same here with my Droid Bionic. It imported text messages until I received a forced update from Verizon on my phone.