S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Shaky S550 07 with Engine Light on... ?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB S550v '07 , BMW z4 '06 , RangeRover Sport
Shaky S550 07 with Engine Light on... ?

Hi All, my husband recently purchased an S550 2007. We're going into our 3rd month now & the mechanics at the Mercedes dealership already know us on a first name basis. It's a beautiful car to enjoy, but in my opinion, not to own. The newest issue were having is that the engine light keeps coming on, yet no "messages" appear on the dash to say there is an issue. The car feels "shaky" while in idle or at a stop. It's been happening more frequently over the past week. We had brought it to Mercedes to fix front suspension issues and a head light issue ($1600) last week , both of which were repaired and during the time it was in the shop the light apparently did not come on so they were unable to check the issue. Yet, they did give an electronic check guarantee thing, whatever that might be worth. The car drives fine at higher speeds with out any issues, yet tonight I noticed while driving on the highway it did not seem as smooth as it should be. I also noticed a tad increase in the engine temp; but nothing extreme. The shakiness seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions on what this might be or will soon become?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM

S550-2007
Were your motor mounts and/or trans mount replaced yet? I had similar issue with my 07 S550 (absent the engine light). After having both sets of mounts replaced all shaking completely was gone. Car runs smooth as butter now. Hopes this helps...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
I would suggest to take it to the dealer or an independant garage for an error read-out with the Star-diagnosis (Xentry) program to check, if there are any irregularities to be found, engine or tranny-wise.
If all that is all fine could be, as Lexmikeyam said.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM

MB S550v '07 , BMW z4 '06 , RangeRover Sport
Exclamation

We had the Trans mounts replaced about 3.5 weeks ago. Since we have had this car it has gone to the shop on a bi weekly basis. We purchased a full extended warranty with the car through Mercedes & still we have managed to spend near $3500. The last Mercedes we owned ended up being a lemon after a years worth of headaches & arguing with Mercedes. It was a G wagon.. When we got up to 40mph and hit the smallest of bumps the car would shake terribly. I mean shake to the point where other drivers on the road around you would notice and move far out of your way. They replaced everything in that truck and were never able to fix the issue. After that nightmare I was done with Mercedes, yet 5 years later here we are again. My first incident with the s550 occurred on day 4 of driving it. Stopped by CVS on the way home. I always tend to park away from other cars so I was at the empty end of the lot. When I come outside there's 3 cops with their lights on & spot lights on the car. I walk over & notice the trunk wide open. I ask the cops what's going on here boys? They tell me suspicious activity to step back to evacuate the area.. What?? I told them that the car they found suspicious I was driving showed them my key they ask why the trunk open I said its a Mercedes what do u expect? They have a mind of their own. They told me to keep an eye on my trunk. .. Ok. Brought it to the dealership replaced a sensor & still the trunk would open at random while off. Finally replaced the key & that seemed to fix that issue. With the warrenty that still cost $380. Then the suspension .. 2x now, struts, computer malfunctions, Headlight issues, various other issues, including the motor for the windshield wiper washer fluid. They say some issues we have are because of the rims & tires we have on the car.. Not mercedes issued.. Yet an upgrade on our part to say in the least.. I laughed at the guy, cause i saw where that was going.. I told him to align the tires, and give me a diagnostics of how my tires will affect our warrenty, please.needless to say he could not directly correlate our wheels with any of the issues. Now that we have that on record, on to the next problem, since it does not affect our warrenty... When the light housing was repaired in the bill it says it was fixed, but needs further diagnostics.. What? Needless to say its back at the shop again. I told my husband it's time to let it go.. Sell it. Its a headache we don't need.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 AM

745i BMW '05, S550 '08
I would give it back to the dealer and demand an 08 if you are having these headaches.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kia Sedona
"After that nightmare I was done with Mercedes, yet 5 years later here we are again."

people do things they can't even explain to themselves. you bought a 5yr old used mercedes with tons of electronics. who knew what kind of condition the car was in when the last owner sold/traded it. this is why you paid a fraction of the new car. my recommendation is to check the car better before you buy mext time or get a new honda accord with less electronics and full warranty.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Sorry to hear about your experience but from all the problems you describe it seems you bought a problem car that might have been abused... Did you buy from a Mercedes dealer and is it the MB extended warranty? I'd take it back and exchange with a 08+ as was suggested by another forum member.

You mentioned the car does not have stock rims and I hope the car and suspension is not modified in other ways. Generally when looking to buy a used car, I run away from any car that has been modified in any way. Perhaps I'm too prejudicial but heavy tinting, hood ornament replacement, not stock wheels, not stock lights, aggressive tire "upgrades," anything not stock would scare me away and I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. I would only consider buying a car with the same specs it had when it left the factory.

Ideally I want the car to appear like it was garaged parked and belonged to a grandmother who just drove it back and forth from church

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 06-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
That is a great picture: I can see that granny in her S-class driving it for 10 minutes like a maniac, slide parking her Benz into a parallel spot(if at all possible in a W221..) ,then pray to the gods of torque and horsepower then then repeat the procedure in reverse manner..but basicly I concur what WEBSRFR stated above..
Indeed sorry to hear that the op has perhaps got a lemon but apparently there is more to the story if I read between the lines.
Hopefully the issues will be sorted swiftly and they can enjoy their W221 asap.. as we all do ...

Last edited by marthyh; 06-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.