E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HOW TO FIX SCRATCHED/SPOTTED NAV SCREEN

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOW TO FIX SCRATCHED/SPOTTED NAV SCREEN

I'll cut to the chase...2009 E350 4-matic AMG Sport, Iridium Gray/Cashmere. Love the car, passionately. Idiot detailer sprayed something that completely spotted and messed the nav screen up...it ate right through parts of the anti-rflective coating on the screen. I have conducted more research than I care to get into. This is the definative way to get your screen looking brand new:

First, if scratched, worn or marked up from chemicals, there is only one way to fix, that is to remove the rest of the AR coating.
1. spray Novus plastic spray cleaner #1 on cotton or microfiber cloth. Give the screen a quick cleaning to remove dust/debris. Dry off with soft cloth.
2. squeeze a tiny amount of Novus fine scratch remover #2 on cotton cloth and work into entire screen in circular motion (good to do small areas at a time)
3. Buff dry with soft cloth
4. Repeat 2 and 3 until all coating off and you have a even, brand new looking screen.
5. Do #1 again to clean off to a great showroom shine.
6. Done - PS no need for AR coating...your windows and sunroof have it and the interior cabin glare is minimal. If you want protective barrier, you can opt for a NuShield product. Dont need it in my opinion...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Happened to me also. I used blue magic metal polish on a microfiber to take the rest of the coating off. Put some on a qtip for the edges.

Came out fantastic
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Glad to hear. The unit is near $4K, and costs up to $6K to install if replaced (gulp)
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Hmmmm....I may have to try this.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
windex and microfiber works also. No need for polishes or anything
Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec, 2007 ML320CDI
After you remove the coating then purchase the Mercedes Comand screen protector from zagg.com, $15, but search online for zagg coupon codes and you can usually get 20-40% off. I did this and it looks fantastic and is truly protected from anything with this on it and it looks 100% better than the original factory coating even did. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by LAS_Bluetec; 02-18-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've had a scratch on mine that I've wanted to sort out for quite some time. I just bought one of the from Zagg and used coupon code ZAGG20 and the total came to $15 shipped. Here's the link if anyone is interested; http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php
The following users liked this post:
Freedoms (11-01-2023)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
windex and microfiber works also. No need for polishes or anything
while this may work, try to stick with the novus 2 poduct. there have been many posts about windex not working or taking much longer to be effective. in some instances, depenidng on the extend of degradation, windex may not work at all. the idea is to get the film off quick and easy - and keep prolonged rubbing to a minimum.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by LAS_Bluetec
After you remove the coating then purchase the Mercedes Comand screen protector from zagg.com, $15, but search online for zagg coupon codes and you can usually get 20-40% off. I did this and it looks fantastic and is truly protected from anything with this on it and it looks 100% better than the original factory coating even did. Just my 2 cents.
this is helpful to know, but i want to say again, a protective coating is not needed. the screen glass is very strong and resistant on its own - it is just the coating that is inferior. the anti glare capability is a personal preference, but i actually find the screen much more brilliant and brighter now than with a AR coating or screen protector...I have seen it both way and like it without added products.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM

about invisible shield

Originally Posted by Toolman_Johnny
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've had a scratch on mine that I've wanted to sort out for quite some time. I just bought one of the from Zagg and used coupon code ZAGG20 and the total came to $15 shipped. Here's the link if anyone is interested; http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php
Also, i cannot recommend this product because:
1) if you are going for anti reflective, it has no AR properties, it is just a shield
2) it has adhesion, which has been reported to destroy the glass screen in some veichles when removed. do a web search and you will see what I mean...a BMW nav screen was ruined by this product.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM

2007 E320 Bluetec, 2007 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by srosenman
1) if you are going for anti reflective, it has no AR properties, it is just a shield
2) it has adhesion, which has been reported to destroy the glass screen in some veichles when removed. do a web search and you will see what I mean...a BMW nav screen was ruined by this product.
Why would you need to remove it? If someone had problems removing it, they probably did not do it correctly. People don't seem to understand being gentle and seem to think things need to be beat into submission. This is the same type of material that is used for cell phone screen protectors and comes off very easily and can be reapplied...easily. If you don't have the screen protector on it, your screen can still get scratched, especially if some knuckle head at the car wash is using a rag that has something on it. I will take my chances with the zagg protector on it rather than not. Each to his own.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by LAS_Bluetec
Why would you need to remove it? If someone had problems removing it, they probably did not do it correctly. People don't seem to understand being gentle and seem to think things need to be beat into submission. This is the same type of material that is used for cell phone screen protectors and comes off very easily and can be reapplied...easily. If you don't have the screen protector on it, your screen can still get scratched, especially if some knuckle head at the car wash is using a rag that has something on it. I will take my chances with the zagg protector on it rather than not. Each to his own.
agree w/ you to each his/her own...however, my original post was the "definitive guide" to fix, meaning fool proof 100% way to remedy a messed up screen...compiled from lots of hands on and actual testimonial research from loads of people with this issue. Upon doing the research, I came across more than 1 that had major problems with the Invisishield type product, hence why it was not added in my original directions.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by srosenman
I agree. The Zagg has an 'orange peel' finish which acts as its 'anti-glare.' But it's not anti-glare as most of use would understand true anti-glare products.

The orange peel has an affect on resolution. And the COMAND graphics screen doesn't a very high resolution in the first place.

I used one of these on an iPod Touch and it reduced the resolution with the 'orange peel.' I took it off and it's much better 'naked' (the iPhone and iPods have durable enough screens anyway.) To me this kind of product is just 'insurance' sort of stuff. It mostly gets people worried that they'll get damaged screens and so they buy the product.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
NEVER use products with ammonia. Same when you have tinted windows.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM

'06 Mercedes E350
Unfortunately, I recently received my E350 back from my local detailer with terrible scratches on the nav screen. It's a real mess, and especially noticeable with the screen off. I'm awaiting a response from the business, but am not optimistic.

I'm curious if anyone else has actually followed the instructions laid out in the initial post and, if so, what kind of results did you get. Was glare a problem after removal of the anti glare coating? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I did a DIY on this in the E55 AMG forum (with photos)

$10 in polish and the results have been great... Search on my username or DIY Nav Scratch and you should be able to find it.

-G
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 PM

'06 Mercedes E350
Found the post. Thanks for the information. Think I'll give it a try.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

1996 S420 2006 C55AMG 2002Mustang GT
hey all my screen shield the plastic is starting to delaminate and i tried pulling it off by hand it was pretty thick and just ripped and it looks like rubbish now, whats the best solution to use to ease that screen off, i was thinking rubbing alcohol with a q-tip but im leery of damaging anything else. do you fellas have a suggestion for me. thanks for your time. i tried searching this but have not yielded any results.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 350SDL, 2006 E320CDI, 1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab 4X4
NOVUS product on NAV screen

I used the NOVUS product on my NAV screen today. WOW! I could barely see the screen on this bright day due to scratches on the anti-glare coating. I taped the screen off, used the cleaner first and then the #2 polish. It looks like a brand new screen now! With back lit sunshine, I can see the screen clearly with polorized sunglasses or with the naked eye.

Try this, you will like it!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM

'06 Mercedes E350
I followed the advice offered by GregMB and srosenman for repair of a badly scratched nav screen. The repair worked as promised. I achieved a beautiful cosmetic result. My car has an ash interior, so glare can be an issue at times. I notice a mild loss of screen legibility in certain light conditions, but not often. Definitely worth this minor trade off for the huge improvement in appearance. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Google searched "how to fix scratched COMAND screen" and lookie what result it pulled...should have searched here in the first place.

Wanted to say thanks to the OP.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM

2012 W212 | 2016 W205
Once cleaned, install a screen protector, i have a link in my signature, brings it right up as new!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM

CL500
Nav Command screen

I also used the polish for my nav screen. My screen was almost at the point of no return. Bubbled up bad. I removed the covering and to my surprise, I now have a white screen that can only be viewed with polarized glasses. Did I totally screw up or is there a remedy?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by bradster582c
I also used the polish for my nav screen. My screen was almost at the point of no return. Bubbled up bad. I removed the covering and to my surprise, I now have a white screen that can only be viewed with polarized glasses. Did I totally screw up or is there a remedy?
If you need a new screen, I might be able to help. PM me if you want to spend some $$$
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM

CL500
Is there another coating that will get the image back? I am not sure whether I need a new screen and if so, can a new screen be installed without replacing the whole unit?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HOW TO FIX SCRATCHED/SPOTTED NAV SCREEN