C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Key FOB stuck in ignition - 2007 C180

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 180 Kompressor
Key FOB stuck in ignition - 2007 C180

My key FOB is stuck in the ignition and cannot be removed. There's no physical damage and the car can be driven with no problem. Its as if the gear lever has not been placed in park, but it has been. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Have you tried putting it in neutral and turning it off
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM

C 180 Kompressor
Have just tried that with no success. While driving I hit a pothole and the doors unlocked after the bump but there was no damage to the rim or tyres.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C320
uhh, try the fuses.
Thats something weird to happen.
If all else fails take it to the dealer let them disconnect the battery that should defiantly do the trick (or do it yourself if you know how to remove the battery off these bad boys)
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
Remove negative first then positive then vice versa installing. Resync windows after
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 AM

C 180 Kompressor
Have disconnected battery and reconnected after 30 secs. Made no difference. Everything works but FOB cannot be removed under any circumstances. I also suspected the cable interlink to the gear lever. With that disconnected the gear lever cannot be moved out of park so it is obviously functioning. Checked the fuses and they are fine. What What else affects the current that locks the FOB in the ignition?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
Odd since it can turn the car on still I would first think it needs to be synced but that's not it. Maybe it needs a new battery for the key. Maybe just a good yank will do it, I'm guessing maybe it was put in in an awkward position that got it jammed. Try pushing the key all the way down to see if it moves into position then pull it out.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM

C 180 Kompressor
On this model the FOB can't be removed when not in park and the problem presents exactly that symptom except that it now can't be removed even in park. The key is in normal position and doesn't feel as if it is jammed. I'll probably have to wait until Monday to take it to the dealer which is a bind as we are going on leave.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C230 SS 6spd
Hmmm there's probably a sensor or relay that probably messed up that isn't sending a signal.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 AM

po
yeah maybe!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 AM

C 180 Kompressor
Problem solved. The coaxial cable from the gear lever had popped out. Apparently a safety feature to ensure that the doors unlock in an accident. An auto electrician took less than 5 minutes to correct the fault and no tools are needed. You simply lift the gear lever and surrounding facia which reveals the cable on the right of the lever which I can now do myself if it ever happens again!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Huh! Interlock cable dis!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM

W203 C200 CDI 2007
THANK you man.
you help me to.
have that problem read your post and solved it in a 10 min work.

again.

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-Class
Mercedes W203 Key Stuck in Ignition

I had the EXACT same problem as described by Sierra. The solution is exactly as he described just a few posts later.

Despite going to the dealer and my local mechanic, nobody knew exactly how to solve this. Several people tried continually to put the car in Drive then back to Park. Fail. We tried disconnecting the battery. Fail. Tried replacing the battery in the key (which we learned only affects the keyless remote). Fail.

As Sierra stated it is very likely that the black (with white tip) coaxial cable has come loose.

HERE'S HOW TO FIX IT:
STEP 1: remove casing around gear selector (pops out using strong fingers).
STEP 2: remove leather casing around gear selector (also pops out using fingers).
STEP 3: remove gear knob. After you remove the leather casing, lift the casing up over the knob and you'll see a black plastic piece. spin it counter-clockwise (I think) and the knob will lift off.
STEP 4: remove the plastic/wood center trim piece. There are two clips in the front (toward the stereo). Lift up there until the clips pull free, then slide the trim forward towards the front of the car to pull it out of the groove it is rested in behind the cup holder).
STEP 5: remove the ash tray. There are two small clips on both sides of the ash tray. Press the clips (I used a small screwdriver) and the ash tray pulls out. You have to sort of maneuver the ash tray around for it to fully pull out.
STEP 6: locate the BLACK coaxial cable with the WHITE clip and if you find it to be loose then you've found your problem. Plug/push it back into the gear shift housing (towards the back of the car) and turn it (mine turned counter clockwise) and you'll feel it lock into place.

Your key should come free!

I have a video and photos I can send if you need further assistance. Just message me.
The following users liked this post:
Don-GF (11-15-2023)
Old 08-20-2019, 02:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C230 (sold), 1993 300E 2.8 (W124) (sold), 2012 C250 (W204) (sold), 2005 E320 (W211)
Can someone please do a youtube video or post some pictures about how to fix this? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:33 PM

2003 E320 Cdi
Solved on W211 E500

Hello.
I had the exact same problem with the stuck key, and it was solved by reconnecting the cable with the round white connector at the gear selector.
Thank you very much 👍👍🍺

Mercedes w211 stuck key
Old 11-16-2020, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ML350
I've read and researched until my eyes have closed. I have the same problem originally stated in this thread.

2013 ML350 decides at times it will not shift into gears after a while... After scanning a few errors that came up states the ISM was bad so it was replaced. Worked for about a week before going back to what it was doing.

Replaced the Auxiliary Battery even thought it's voltage is around 12.8v

Replaced Main Battery with new Champion AGM battery even though voltage was fine.

Took voltage reading from Alternator and no problem there.

Replaced FOB Key battery (after 4 energizer batteries kept getting "Replace Battery" message. Switched to Panasonic and message went away. Vehicle drove fine for 2 days now back to it's same.

Scanned again and the following code comes up - P172A00 - The Direct Select Lever is Faulty.

Can't find anything that explains or deals with this code however almost convinced this is the problem.

Can anyone shed some light here??
Old 11-15-2023, 02:19 PM

C 180 w203
This was so helpful and the issue has been sorted. Thank you so so much.

Originally Posted by radioman
I had the EXACT same problem as described by Sierra. The solution is exactly as he described just a few posts later.

Despite going to the dealer and my local mechanic, nobody knew exactly how to solve this. Several people tried continually to put the car in Drive then back to Park. Fail. We tried disconnecting the battery. Fail. Tried replacing the battery in the key (which we learned only affects the keyless remote). Fail.

As Sierra stated it is very likely that the black (with white tip) coaxial cable has come loose.

HERE'S HOW TO FIX IT:
STEP 2: remove leather casing around gear selector (also pops out using fingers).
STEP 3: remove gear knob. After you remove the leather casing, lift the casing up over the knob and you'll see a black plastic piece. spin it counter-clockwise (I think) and the knob will lift off.
STEP 4: remove the plastic/wood center trim piece. There are two clips in the front (toward the stereo). Lift up there until the clips pull free, then slide the trim forward towards the front of the car to pull it out of the groove it is rested in behind the cup holder).
STEP 5: remove the ash tray. There are two small clips on both sides of the ash tray. Press the clips (I used a small screwdriver) and the ash tray pulls out. You have to sort of maneuver the ash tray around for it to fully pull out.
STEP 6: locate the BLACK coaxial cable with the WHITE clip and if you find it to be loose then you've found your problem. Plug/push it back into the gear shift housing (towards the back of the car) and turn it (mine turned counter clockwise) and you'll feel it lock into place.

I have a video and photos I can send if you need further assistance. Just message me.
This was so helpful and the issue has been sorted. Thank you so so much.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:35 PM

Mercedes C240 2005
Ssme problem I am facing as well. Please send Video if you have on

I am facind the same problem. Could you please send me the video

ThaAnks

Originally Posted by radioman

HERE'S HOW TO FIX IT: