CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Headrest - Roll Bars Randomly Engaging....help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 430
Exclamation Rear Headrest - Roll Bars Randomly Engaging....help?

For those of you following my saga, you know I just got my ride back last week.....after it sat for 7 months dues to lack of funds and "life".....

found here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...mp-switch.html

NOW I got an even stranger problem. I have had my 2000 CLK Cab back for a week and it has happened 3x...RANDOMLY.

There is (for lack of the proper term) a "tilt sensor" that is suppose to "eject" the rear head rests up in the even that to vehicle "thinks" it may roll over.

I have gone over a hill a bit too fast once and the head rests jumped up (make a loud *** racheting sound - for those who have never heard it)

Anyway I have had my car back for a week and the head rest have RANDOMLY jumped up. No rhyme or reason..... anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

The most recent time it happened as I UNLOCKED THE DOOR with the fob......

I have since left them ejected up, because the sound of them springing up - literally scares the hell out of me.

Any advice? Any pros can tell me what "system" or "module" controls the deployment of the rear head rests?

I wanted to try to at least get more info on the subject..before it has to go BACK to the shop....

:*(

TIA
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM

2000 CLK 430
Well its still cold as hell in Philly, but I cycled the top the other day - put the top down - and back up.

Since then the roll bars have not randomly deployed.

Lets hope this is a long term fix. As of now - SOLVED.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM

2000 CLK 430
This issue is NOT solved. The roll bars/ head rest still randomly jump up and scare the hell out of me....

does ANYONE have any idea the control system that manages the rear headrest/roll bars ??

Looking for some help here guys.....

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430
Should just be able to pop the fuse. I don't have my owners manual handy but take a look in it and see what fuse it it. Not sure if anything else is on that circuit or not.