Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Taking care of matte paintjobs

Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 Coupe
Taking care of matte paintjobs

Hello everyone I have a 2011 Designo Magno cashmere matte white E class coupe and I'm curious if anyone has any info on how to properly maintain my paint job? This is my first matte vehicle and I want to make sure I maintain it properly...

I can't seem to find any products for matte paint jobs at my local auto parts store (car wash soap, detailer sprays etc) Any suggestions on where I can get matte safe products in south Florida?

I did some research online and found The Dr. Beasley matte prescription kit which I ordered but the 179$ price tags is kinda steep for the amount of product that comes in the kit so im trying to find alternative products that arnt as expensive for when I run out of dr beasleys
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Chemical guys sell a wash soap and detailer sprays for matt finishes

Always use MF towel on paint don't get the cheap auto parts towels

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...cws_995_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...spi_995_16.htm
Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Rumor has it that Chemical Guys and Dr. Beasley source their products from the same manufacturers. I am not saying they are the same formula since each is their own private label built to their own specs.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dan ****
Rumor has it that Chemical Guys and Dr. Beasley source their products from the same manufacturers. I am not saying they are the same formula since each is their own private label built to their own specs.
Oh well that's interesting... Now I'm curious how similar the formula is....especially Since the price difference is astronomical $50 vs $178
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both Chemical Guys and Dr Beasley have their stuff made from Warner Chemical Manufacturing Company in Gardena, CA.

CG has more of a partnership than Dr. Beasley, but I don't know any more details than that.

Until there is more demand for matte paint protection products, the price will still be high regardless. I think 1 out of 100 cars on the road with matte paint or matte vinyl wrap. There isn't a market for big name companies like Meguiars to come out with their own product quite yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I use a regular soap for washing the car and Meguiar quick wax spray (I called them and they advised this was what to use for matte paint).
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...mate-quik-wax/
When I need to take off stuff off the car quickly, I use this.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/
Matte paint is actually so easy to take care of. I am so happy with it.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I use a regular soap for washing the car and Meguiar quick wax spray (I called them and they advised this was what to use for matte paint).
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...mate-quik-wax/
When I need to take off stuff off the car quickly, I use this.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/
Matte paint is actually so easy to take care of. I am so happy with it.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dan ****
Both Chemical Guys and Dr Beasley have their stuff made from Warner Chemical Manufacturing Company in Gardena, CA. CG has more of a partnership than Dr. Beasley, but I don't know any more details than that. Until there is more demand for matte paint protection products, the price will still be high regardless. I think 1 out of 100 cars on the road with matte paint or matte vinyl wrap. There isn't a market for big name companies like Meguiars to come out with their own product quite yet.

Yea you are def right about the demand factor. It just sucks because I'm such a perfectionist that I would hate to damage the finish simply hecuase I didn't use the right products ya know. Bit I guess I'll give the CG stuff a try since its a bit easier on the wallet.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by emericr
I use a regular soap for washing the car and Meguiar quick wax spray (I called them and they advised this was what to use for matte paint). http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...mate-quik-wax/ When I need to take off stuff off the car quickly, I use this. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/ Matte paint is actually so easy to take care of. I am so happy with it.
Thank you for sharing! I was told by my MB Dealer to stay away from any products that had carnauba and other waxes... And most of the car wash soaps I've come across have carnauba or other "shine" enhancers in the product so I'm scared to use them... What soap are you using? Is your matte paint a MB OEM paint job or did you do it aftermarket?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
Personally - I'd only use Dr. Beasleys.

I've been to the shop and they take care of my CBS and my SLS BSC (soon) they also did my buddy's magno night g63.

These guys are scientists that work very hard in their lab and I fully trust their product 100% it's legit and I've seen it with my own eyes.

I'm OCD about my cars. I even wash my hands before I drive so my steering stays clean, always fresh jeans - towel wipe my feet bestie getting in the car, I use my index finger to shut the door on my car around the soft rubber edging.

Trust my opionion - I only use the best of the best and have tried it all. You all drive a merc like me. Cost is negligible.

Cheers!

Faraz
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Faraz
Personally - I'd only use Dr. Beasleys. I've been to the shop and they take care of my CBS and my SLS BSC (soon) they also did my buddy's magno night g63. These guys are scientists that work very hard in their lab and I fully trust their product 100% it's legit and I've seen it with my own eyes. I'm OCD about my cars. I even wash my hands before I drive so my steering stays clean, always fresh jeans - towel wipe my feet bestie getting in the car, I use my index finger to shut the door on my car around the soft rubber edging. Trust my opionion - I only use the best of the best and have tried it all. You all drive a merc like me. Cost is negligible. Cheers! Faraz

Faraz thank you for your input... I too am very very meticulous with my car... I literally wash it every other day (unless its raining)... I'm always using the Dr. Beasleys detail spray between washes always have clean microfiber a in the car (I buy them by the case as Costco) so I def agree I was just curious if there was other options that were good as I'm noticing that there just isn't a lot of products out there for is Matted drivers.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 MB SL550
Light scuffs on Designo Magno cashmere white matte finish paint

I have a few light scuffs on my designo magno cashmere white matte finish paint. On a normal paint finish, I would polish them out. I can't do that on a matte finish. Do any of you matte experts have any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr. Pete
I have a few light scuffs on my designo magno cashmere white matte finish paint. On a normal paint finish, I would polish them out. I can't do that on a matte finish. Do any of you matte experts have any suggestions?
http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2013/...n-matte-paint/
Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota
I'm noticing more matte black paint jobs here on the east coast. You can't put wax or polish on it because they both turn white when they dry.
How to keep the flat black look while protecting the paint is a good question. I would be cautious of using soap for concern it could leave a visible film.
Right now, plain water is the best thing out there.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by percyey8
I'm noticing more matte black paint jobs here on the east coast. You can't put wax or polish on it because they both turn white when they dry.
How to keep the flat black look while protecting the paint is a good question. I would be cautious of using soap for concern it could leave a visible film.
Right now, plain water is the best thing out there.
You protect the paint by using a sealant.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I've been reading about caring for matte paint, and I'm curious to know what the verdict is after a few years of living with these paint jobs?

Seems that caring for matte paint is actually easier than a normal clear coat.
Seems like you also save money by not requiring a clay bar/wax/polish job.

Am I correct in thinking this?
Part of the high cost of the matte paint option is then offset by lowered detailing cost. My local detailer charges about $600 for a job that lasts 2 years.

If I can buy ~$100-$200 worth of products and do it myself, sign me up!
Plus, the matte paint finish is reportedly more durable and less prone to scratches, and they are not as visible.